Battery Found Swollen

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Went to do full restart - pulled battery - discovered swollen on both sides - front & back.

With all the talk on bent iPhones -
so at lunch the other day with phone on table - I thought, well this is weird - it looks bent laying on it's back - rocking like a cup saucer.

Quite obvious the battery is dorked -
Wonder if warrantee covers this.

So this is why they have plastic back snap on cover.
Imagine that force restricted in hard shell.
Actually a little surprised it makes decent connection to run the phone.

A video of it on flat surface - rocking on both sides - is the only easy way to see it.
Maybe tomorrow.

If I had to speculate -
Hot - while charging - on the couch - ends up related to a post made a year ago.
Sudden Battery Issue Android Forums at DroidForums.net
Apparently - a minor update at the time.

Last edited:
Glad you caught it before anything bad really happened.

Don't know if warranty covers it or not, but it doesn't hurt to contact Samsung. Even out of warranty, I can see them sending you out a new battery. They're cheap anyway, and it's better to have a happy customer.

Good luck

Samsung was doing a battery replacement for S4 users some time last year. I don't remember what for, but I do remember reading about it around the time I switched from it to the Note 3.

Went to do full restart - pulled battery - discovered swollen on both sides - front & back...

Have you been using wireless charging? Such bulging can happen with wireless charging if the phone is left on the pad after it is charged, since the pad doesn't know when the phone is done charging it always sends power to the receiver coil which rests against and cooks the battery. This can take months of being left on the pad too long.

If you are not doing wireless charging, then you either had a defective battery, or the charging circuit isn't turning off when done charging.

I agree with bbtkd. My phone did the same thing. I left it on the charger overnight and next morning the battery bulged like crazy with the back actually separating from the front around the middle of both sides. Replaced the battery and never had that problem again. Now, when I get home from work, I put it on the charger but take it off as soon as it gets back to 100%.

Have you been using wireless charging?

If you are not doing wireless charging, then you either had a defective battery, or the charging circuit isn't turning off when done charging.
No wireless charging,
but I think cooling was restricted while on couch had 50% to do with it.

No wireless charging,
but I think cooling was restricted while on couch had 50% to do with it.

Really should be no way to bulge/rupture the battery using the factory charger, no matter how low it is, even if sitting on a couch. Either you're not using the right charger, the battery was bad, or the charging circuit in the phone is bad. If the charger is the one that came with it, I'd suggest watching the temperature the first few times you charge it.

It was an odd deal -
A post I made here a yr ago, when overheat event happened - there was some odd update at that time, never overheated like that again.

To narrow down time battery went nuts event is difficult,
not being used for couple months - left on charger.
All the years of iPhone - standard practice - always on charger.
I've seen RC heli battery packs swell under exact control.

Random search, a gal had an overheat event, listening to tunes with phone under pillow - by morning there was fairly large burn mark in the mattress. No idea if on charger or not.
If in bookmarks, - I'll post it.

As for charger - iPad's charger get used sometimes.
No issues noticed overnight. Maybe a tad more in amps.
Thanks.

The girl who had her phone burn her mattress was using an aftermarket battery I heard. So that wasn't so much the phone maker's fault, but moreso using a different make battery. Secondly, she had the phone in use under a pillow, not allowing proper ventilation for the phone.

Were you able to get a new battery from Samsung?

I'm on my way shortly - for battery.
Thanks for update on her phone.
I only had the vision left in memory.

I Finally got new battery today.
Nursed it all this time.
Mainly Costco is a pain to get to when closing early.

Swung by Verizon shop, to find out the details & options I had,
being I paid the full cost up front for insurance & case, etc.
Verizon rep says-battery is not covered in any warrantee.
Only the device.

Of course they don't have batteries - suggested Batteries Plus.
Absolutely Not. 15 yrs of knowing too much. We'll leave it at that.

She searched the hood & found the Holy Grail that just opened up this last Oct.
Called "Device Pit Stop" in Maple Grove Mn shopping center area.
They have new & factory reman of all phones to computers, that they process on site.

Sure enough they have my battery when no one else in town did.
Original Samsung - ready to go. Fair price $25.

They were quite shocked at how swollen my battery was.
That rear plastic cover is maybe what prevented major chaos
Vs trapped behind steel cover forced to swell in restricted space.
Crushing circuit boards.

Still think it happened one evening falling asleep on the couch,
and ended up under blankets in seat cushion, and waking, it was hot as heck while charging.

Wow you went that long without a new battery?

I have two RAVpower batteries and haven't had any issues with them. They were cheap, supposedly have a higher capacity (only by like 200mAh though). I bought them on Amazon

Good luck with this one.

I'm sure it's a rare event, even though quite lucky no damage..
Between getting trapped under covers, and I just recalled, there was a minor software update just before this happened,
in which the combination triggered worst case scenario.
It never got hot like that again even swollen.
But I never noticed it till later setting phone down on table on its back, then noticed it rocked like a football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back