Car Mount?

TyrantII

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone tried it on the Droid2 Car mount.

I bought a Droid 2 mount for my Droid 1 in the case I'd ever upgrade, but never did. Thinking of going to the Droid 3 now that my plan is up, but wondering if the old car mount will still work.

If not, ideas on how we might mod it?

jramey

Reaction score
Power connection is in a differant location than the Droid 1 or Droid 2. Will not work on Droid 3.

wkearney99

Reaction score
Nope, neither dock will work. That and the car dock has a molded ball joint on the back of it, as opposed to the flat double-T mount on the D2 car dock. Which sort of sucks for me as the D2 dock fit flush onto a hard mount bracket. With a D3 I'd have to put a ball onto the hard mount and then the phone. This would make the phone stick out about 2 inches more and wouldn't be quite as stable.

ZPrime

Reaction score
Nope, neither dock will work. That and the car dock has a molded ball joint on the back of it, as opposed to the flat double-T mount on the D2 car dock. Which sort of sucks for me as the D2 dock fit flush onto a hard mount bracket. With a D3 I'd have to put a ball onto the hard mount and then the phone. This would make the phone stick out about 2 inches more and wouldn't be quite as stable.

Bahh, why did they have to get rid of the double-t mount and mold-in the ball? Bastards. The double-T is very common on most GPS stuff, it's handy if you already had a ProClip car mount and the ball/socket + Double-T combo. Feels much more secure than the stupid screw-on ball that the stock Moto mount uses.

Thankfully, I originally had a garmin, which also had a ball, so I have the ball mount thing already... but it's still lame.

cwscms

Reaction score
Does this dock mount on the dash as well? or is it only for the window?

wkearney99

Reaction score
It comes with a mounting pad you can stick down to other surfaces. But you can also get a hard mount from companies like Pro Fit or Arkon and use part of the kit. I took the kit apart and used just the docking cradle from it. It has a standard sized ball mount socket on the back. I then got a ball mount from Arkon that would fit onto the Pro Fit hard mount bracket that has been in my wife's car for ages. I did the same thing for my D2 in my Jeep.