D3 SIM card on D4

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I love my D4 but it is a niche phone and I'm craving roms like a cookie monster craves cookies. I'm thinking of getting the S3 and giving my wife the D4. I will continue to play with the D4 since I can't resist modding it. She currently has a D3 so I'm wondering if all I have to do is take her sim card and put it on my phone.

If you're currious, I seriously considered the Razr HD but the 1gb of ram has me doubting its ability to smoothly run future versions of Android. The build quality of the Razr HD is impeccable but the so-so camera, only 1gb ram, and very few roms and unlockable bootloader swayed me away from it.

It's only $79 through Amazon so it's a steal. I will miss safestrap 3 which allows me to switch between roms on the fly.

Last edited:

outsid0r

Reaction score
I love my D4 but it is a niche phone and I'm craving roms like a cookie monster craves cookies. I'm thinking of getting the S3 and giving my wife the D4. I will continue to play with the D4 since I can't resist modding it. She currently has a D3 so I'm wondering if all I have to do is take her sim card and put it on my phone.

If you're currious, I seriously considered the Razr HD but the 1gb of ram has me doubting its ability to smoothly run future versions of Android. The build quality of the Razr HD is impeccable but the so-so camera, only 1gb ram, and very few roms and unlockable bootloader swayed me away from it.

It's only $79 through Amazon so it's a steal. I will miss safestrap 3 which allows me to switch between roms on the fly.

the sim cards are not the same as the d3 is a full size card only used for global use, all 4glte devices are using the mini/micro sim cards.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
look at the dna... just bought it today and ill either get it on saturday or monday... it is a really good phone. you can unlock the bootloader and load custom kernals and on top of it it has 2 gb of ram and a quad core cpu

OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I initially discounted that phone because of the 11gb of memory, but since safestrap3 is not needed I do not have to worry about that.

Let me rethink this, but the plethora of roms for the S3 makes me weak in the knees.

I wish these phones could have the build quality of the Razr HD, it is a really solid phone.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I initially discounted that phone because of the 11gb of memory, but since safestrap3 is not needed I do not have to worry about that.

Let me rethink this, but the plethora of roms for the S3 makes me weak in the knees.

I wish these phones could have the build quality of the Razr HD, it is a really solid phone.
believe me i was having a hard time deciding. it was between the hd, s3,and dna... the dna is the newest, and has a far superior screen(1080p), and an unlocked bootloader which is hard to come by for vzw(this means custom kernels and easier builds of Kang and cm no more kexec). the s4 snapdragon is a kickass cpu and it has a lower power consumption than most mobile chips. the cam is awesome and has burst mode while recording vid. the cpu on the hd is crappy ans the s3 is like a year old so you might as well buy a used one if you go that route. it was a tough choice i even talked it over with my friend omar who finally convinced me to pick the dna... he is usually on the pulse with tech and has better judgement than me lolz (he is more practical than me). as you said mem is capped but i personally use like 8 gb on my d4 so this is a non issue for me.

Last edited:
OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get it today, I have to go by the Verizon store to try to keep my unlimited data.

I spent the night reading through the DNA forums here and on XDA. It looks like I have to learn to use ADB but it's really not a big deal. The only scary issue is that it's brickable compared to our phones which has safestrap that basically makes it brickproof. Oh well, I handled romming the D2 without bricking it so I'm sure I can handle this.

Just like you I had those three phones (HD, DNA, & S3) to choose from. The HD has great build quality but the processor and ram to me is just OK for a brand new phone. The S3 has more ram and a great camera. With the quadcore Pro I'm sure this phone will handle any new versions of Android a year or two down the road.

I can't wait to see what you create for the DNA!

ndd

Reaction score
look at the dna... just bought it today and ill either get it on saturday or monday... it is a really good phone. you can unlock the bootloader and load custom kernals and on top of it it has 2 gb of ram and a quad core cpu

hope this doesn't mean that you're going to stop developing for the D4!

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
hope this doesn't mean that you're going to stop developing for the D4!
ill keep working on it, especially after the moto jb comes out. i figured i can flip flop between the 2. especially if i get into a long dev session or go camping... i liked my d4 alot but my screen is a little damaged from my keys (not scrached but have a small bright spot due to a dent) plus im really looking foward to an unlocked bootloader for once (havent had that since my og droid). belive me i dev for a 70$ diablotek dII and d2 tablet so i bet ill find the time to keep this up. i try to make roms for ppl who need em the economy sux and this is one way to give to ppl who could use a little dough thats why i dont accept donations unless its diablo3 gold or tf2 items (not like anyone had ever done so anyway lol).

Last edited:

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
nice im getting mine sat or monday depending on ups also remembet to back it up with a nandroid just in-case you install anything. someone alrady made 2 roms 4 it and said twrp worked on it but never posted a link for it.

OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
As a follow-up, my trusty D4 is being used by my wife. I set the cpu to 1320 just to be sure I get absolutely no complaints.

The DNA is fantastic. Great screen, camera, and the hardware. Got 8997 on quadrant. To tell you the truth I havent noticed a huge difference yet but I haven't run any intensive apps. Its overclocked with a custom kernel. I' m fairly used to the onscreen keyboard now.

The only negatives are the lack of storage (I have to limit my backups in twrp) and the lack of CM and AOKP roms but that should come in time. On Rootzwiki it was mentioned that it would take a ton of work to get them working because of the S-on and something with the radio, but I'mkeeping my fingers crossed. At least I can still flash AOKP/CM on the D4, and I will still be here to help.