Droid RAZR MAXX HD on 4.4 vs Droid Maxx, what's different?

Keena

Reaction score
Hi, I've been staring at spec comparisons forever and, with the Razr Maxx HD now getting 4.4, I can't see why I shouldn't buy it as opposed to the Droid Maxx. Is there some glaring difference I'm missing (aside from the SD slot)?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Battery is a bit bigger on the new maxx, 3300 vs 3500 Mah, also the droid maxx will continue to receive updates after KitKat..kitkat may possibly be the last update for the maxx HD. Bigger display on the new maxx, and wireless charging on the maxx as well. And I personally think the audio playback is better on the maxx..

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

mikeladue

Reaction score
But no SD card slot on the new Maxx. The RAZR Maxx is slower, and lags/stutters at times.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have all 3..the g1 RAZR maxx is slowest, the hd is pretty snappy..the maxx is very quick..but the reason is that the dual core is optimized with the new software...no SD slot on the new maxx..that's correct..I used Verizon's cloud..backed up everything to it..then downloaded it to the new maxx. There are other ways though.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

joelong

Reaction score
Also, doesn't the old Razr Maxx HD have 1 gig of RAM, whereas the new Maxx has 2 gigs? (Does that matter?) And, the older model has an HDMI port, whereas the new model doesn't

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I've as well have had all the maxxs' and an original RAZR. Ram is not an issue with the SD card equipped motos, you can move your apps to the card. IMO you can't go wrong with either of motos latest. If it matters the HD buttons rotate to always be on one side in vista mode. Also the USB port placement I prefer on the droid MAXX. (Bottom)

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

Hodor

Reaction score
I've as well have had all the maxxs' and an original RAZR. Ram is not an issue with the SD card equipped motos, you can move your apps to the card. IMO you can't go wrong with either of motos latest. If it matters the HD buttons rotate to always be on one side in vista mode. Also the USB port placement I prefer on the droid MAXX. (Bottom)

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

The ram DOES matter, the sd card has nothing to do with how the phone performs. Like many pc users do, you are confusing ram with storage. When they say a phone has 1 or 2 or 3 gigs of ram, they are referring to the amount of memory a processor has to load, run and keep resident it's programs (or apps in our case).

Since I see no end to the amount of bloatware being loaded on our new phones, and your average user not understanding that they just can't download and run all the apps they want without knowing that it will lag and slow their phone, the more ram the better.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I should've edited that, got side tracked at work. We used to be able to move apps to the SD card, witch is not the case any more. Yes I do know the difference, I've owned several "antique" phones. Life was wonderful when you could only have a handful of crappy apps before being bombed with warnings.

roach

Reaction score
I have the razrmaxx_hd and I got to say this phone is by far the best smartphone I have ever had,I work outside in south florida I dropped it,banged it got it wet and still going strong.The only complaint I have is the display,I wish it was bigger.I no there is one out there with a 5' display I seen it at verizion,no sd card.I have a 64gb card in mine.
Almost got the samsung note about the same time I bought this but it looked and felt fragile.