Htc dna i believe is "bricked"

CSMGDRIOD

Reaction score
I believe i have bricked my htc dna. Its stuck on a black htc screen with triangles in each corner. I cant access recovery are anything for that matter. This all started when i flashed a custom rom called "clockworkmod" which i flashed successfully. I noticed after i flashed it that there was 13gb of space being calculated in my "other" field when i went to see my storage info. I then researched and found out that the clockworkmod was some how duplicating the operating system and thats the reason why the "other" field was showing over 13gb. I then flashed another custom rom to attempt to fix this issue called "twrp" this flash also was successful but the issue wasnt fixed, so out of stupidity and lack of knowledge i then went into twrp and choose to wipe data not knowing that this would totally wipe my entire operating system. Now i was at a point were i couldnt do anything but load into bootloader( s-0ff and unlocked) and also recovery (twrp) so then i started digging in deeper and found out i could flash the factory rom via ruu (if i could find one for 4.4.2 kit kat) which i was unable to do for days. Then i finally found a factory rom for 4.4.2 kit kat but it didnt have the boot image. So when i flashed it i got the black htc screen and the status bar would fill all the way up and that was it....it would never move off of that screen. So i found out that there wasnt a full factory rom available for the 4.4.2 kit kat with the boot image. So once again out of stupidity and lack of knowledge i thought i was using common sense by taking one of my multiple boot image zip files and dragging it into the zip file of the rom that didnt have the boot image( i thought that was logical) which i guess it wasnt because now i cant even get into bootloader or recovery and my cpu wont detect my phone i cant do any command prompts are anything. What can i do? Is this considered a "bricked phone"? Can anyone help me?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I don't know anything about the DNA. But clockwork & twrp are custom recoveries, not roms. Your best bet is to try to find the stock roms. Wish I have links & better advice for you. Hopefully someone will stop by with a solution to your dilemma

Tapped from a Nexus

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
You'll need to be patient because you've put your phone in a tricky situation and we'll need to get an experience technician over here to work out a solution, which may take some time. Just hang on for awhile - and don't flash anything else in the mean time. :)

OP
C

CSMGDRIOD

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the DNA. But clockwork & twrp are custom recoveries, not roms. Your best bet is to try to find the stock roms. Wish I have links & better advice for you. Hopefully someone will stop by with a solution to your dilemma

Tapped from a Nexus

Sorry my terminology is off based on my lack of knowledge. only problem is there is no full stock rom out for 4.4.2 kit kat and that's how I ended up here and now that ive tried to with the rom that is out that doesn't have the boot image now I cant get into fastboot , adb, or anything for that matter. thank you very much for responding though that means a lot

OP
C

CSMGDRIOD

Reaction score
Thank you for caring

Hey thank you for taking time out to even speak on my issue. I wanted to inform you that to my knowledge correct me if im wrong but i couldnt flash anything if i wanted to. No cpu will detect my phone, i cant get into bootloader or the twrp recovery like i was before. I just have a black htc screen with those triangles. When you say tricky situation does that mean bricked?

OP
C

CSMGDRIOD

Reaction score
You'll need to be patient because you've put your phone in a tricky situation and we'll need to get an experience technician over here to work out a solution, which may take some time. Just hang on for awhile - and don't flash anything else in the mean time. :)

Hey thank you for taking time out to even speak on my issue. I wanted to inform you that to my knowledge correct me if im wrong but i couldnt flash anything if i wanted to. No cpu will detect my phone, i cant get into bootloader or the twrp recovery like i was before. I just have a black htc screen with those triangles. When you say tricky situation does that mean bricked?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've messed with HTC devices to this extent, but don't do anything more unless you have done your reading and fully understand what you're doing. The folks and devs over at XDA do a great job at putting tools together to remedy these sticky situations. In the DNA section at XDA look around the sticky threads help you make more sense of what you did. If you can't get into HBoot at all, you're very close to a fully bricked phone. Also make sure you are using files for your correct variant and by that I mean if you have a Verizon DNA make sure you are using Verizon DNA files/tools. I won't have too much time to research today but when I can I'll check back in.

OP
C

CSMGDRIOD

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've messed with HTC devices to this extent, but don't do anything more unless you have done your reading and fully understand what you're doing. The folks and devs over at XDA do a great job at putting tools together to remedy these sticky situations. In the DNA section at XDA look around the sticky threads help you make more sense of what you did. If you can't get into HBoot at all, you're very close to a fully bricked phone. Also make sure you are using files for your correct variant and by that I mean if you have a Verizon DNA make sure you are using Verizon DNA files/tools. I won't have too much time to research today but when I can I'll check back in.

I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR EVEN TAKING THE TIME TO SPEAK ON MY SITUATION. I HAVE MADE SOME PROGRESS TODAY BY TAKING MY EFFORTS TO RESTORE TO A WINDOWS 7 CPU OPPOSED TO THE WINDOWS 8 CPU I WAS ON... NOW IM ABLE TO UTILIZE FASTBOOT AGAIN...THIS IS WHAT FASTBOOT READS AFTER INPUTING A COMMAND:

C:\adb>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.02.01.0207
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.09.605.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) product: monarudo
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PL8320000
(bootloader) cidnum: 22222222
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4008mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: RUU
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-ae8bbb39
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.092s

I HAVE SOME PEOPLE SAYING THAT THERE IS HOPE FOR ME. ACTUALLY ONE GUY STATED THAT I CAN FLASH ANY OLDER ROM VERSION EVEN THOUGH IM ON 4.4.2 KIT KAT WHEN I AT FIRST WAS UNDER THE IPRESSION THAT I COULDNT....MAN I NEED HELP....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Since you're able to boot into fastboot again I'd recommend you restore the factory image, so bring it back to 100% stock and probably start all over. Better safe than sorry and a fresh start would be the route I would choose.

As Macpro88 said, head over to XDA and see what they got. Do not rush and read everything TWICE before starting the process of reflashing your phone.

OP
C

CSMGDRIOD

Reaction score
Since you're able to boot into fastboot again I'd recommend you restore the factory image, so bring it back to 100% stock and probably start all over. Better safe than sorry and a fresh start would be the route I would choose.

As Macpro88 said, head over to XDA and see what they got. Do not rush and read everything TWICE before starting the process of reflashing your phone.

That's what I've been trying to do and I'm having no luck...