Microphone or software issue - people can't hear me at times

aznightshade

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD which I bought directly from Motorola before they introduced a new version of this phone. --- System version 9.30.1.XT926. Android Version: 4.1.2 Build number 9.8.1Q-94-1 Build Date Sep 26 2013 --- My problem has something to do with a microphone. Very often, during the conversation people stop hearing me. I hear them perfectly, but they do not. There is a trick to resolve this problem: I switch to a speakerphone and then back - this fixes the problem, but obviously it is not a permanent solution. Before I go through a factory reset (really my last resort), do you have any ideas what maybe wrong? I have no problem recording myself via Easy Voice Recorder, but I have not tested it for long periods of time. Anyway, my problem with people not hearing happens very often and it is not location based -- happens everywhere. Thank you for the input.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode? Below is a link to the Verizon Support site that lists the instructions. When the phone is in Safe Mode, only the pre-installed apps run, no Play Store apps run. If the problemm goes away, there is a good chance that a downloaded app is causing the issue. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it could be faulty hardware or faulty pre-installed software and the next logical step would be the FDR. The only issue I have had after running in Safe Mode is some downloaded (Play Store) apps will make me log into them again with my password for that app; other than that inconvenience Safe Mode can be a good troubleshooting tool. Hope that helps.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/66528/

Last edited:

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Its a defect. May be a good thing so you can get the new one, I would complain to them, I am sure they would offer the new one, trust me, you dont want this one.

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
Have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode? Below is a link to the Verizon Support site that lists the instructions. When the phone is in Safe Mode, only the pre-installed apps run, no Play Store apps run. If the problemm goes away, there is a good chance that a downloaded app is causing the issue. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it could be faulty hardware or faulty pre-installed software and the next logical step would be the FDR. The only issue I have had after running in Safe Mode is some downloaded (Play Store) apps will make me log into them again with my password for that app; other than that inconvenience Safe Mode can be a good troubleshooting tool. Hope that helps.
Safe Mode - DROID RAZR HD / RAZR MAXX HD by MOTOROLA

It is a great idea! Thank you very much :hail: -- I did not know I can do this. I was dreading a reset (had this problem for over 3 months already). I will be testing my phone today in a safe mode.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It is a great idea! Thank you very much :hail: -- I did not know I can do this. I was dreading a reset (had this problem for over 3 months already). I will be testing my phone today in a safe mode.
You might still need to do a reset, it's always possible. Safe Mode will let you know if a Play Store app is causing the issue. If the mic works good in safe mode, then you have to figure out which app is the problem. If the mic still has the issue, you might want to look into a replacement. It sounds like you have not had the phone very long, so it should still be under warranty.

Hodor

Reaction score
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/66528/

This is a great tip, the kind of constructive input we all join forums for. So many problems are caused by apps and then blamed on the phone. I learned something new today, thanks!

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my problem persisted in a safe mode too. I was planning on testing my phone for a while but during call #2 and #3 I experienced this issue so no need to do it for several days.
One interesting thing I noticed -- my battery was dying like crazy while my phone was in a safe mode. It was dying so fast that I had to plug it in.
Since I continued having the same problem in a safe mode, does it mean that reset won't help me?
I guess, if I have to send my phone back to Motorola for a repair or replacement (still under a warranty till August) I might as well reset it. I will have to transfer and save all my files and photos anyway.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Unfortunately, my problem persisted in a safe mode too. I was planning on testing my phone for a while but during call #2 and #3 I experienced this issue so no need to do it for several days.
One interesting thing I noticed -- my battery was dying like crazy while my phone was in a safe mode. It was dying so fast that I had to plug it in.
Since I continued having the same problem in a safe mode, does it mean that reset won't help me?
I guess, if I have to send my phone back to Motorola for a repair or replacement (still under a warranty till August) I might as well reset it. I will have to transfer and save all my files and photos anyway.
Sorry to hear that, that's kind of a bummer. Here's what I would do if it was my phone: do a factory reset and then see how the mic works. it sounds like a hardware issue so the reset probably will not fix it, but Moto or Verizon are going to ask if you tried one. Then, either file a warranty repair claim with Moto or get a replacement from your carrier. If you do a claim with Moto repair you will be without your phone for 5 - 10 days (that's the normal turn around time). Or, request a replacement through your carrier (Verizon, I assume). I have had a few replacement phones from them over the years and even though they are refurbished they were just like new and I never had any issues with them. You can continue to use your current phone until the replacement arrives. Just some ideas to think about.

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, that's kind of a bummer. Here's what I would do if it was my phone: do a factory reset and then see how the mic works. it sounds like a hardware issue so the reset probably will not fix it, but Moto or Verizon are going to ask if you tried one. Then, either file a warranty repair claim with Moto or get a replacement from your carrier. If you do a claim with Moto repair you will be without your phone for 5 - 10 days (that's the normal turn around time). Or, request a replacement through your carrier (Verizon, I assume). I have had a few replacement phones from them over the years and even though they are refurbished they were just like new and I never had any issues with them. You can continue to use your current phone until the replacement arrives. Just some ideas to think about.

Thank you, I will do it. If a reset does not help, replacement or repair should not be a problem since I bought my phone directly from Motorola - paid a full price (in order to save my unlimited data w Verizon). I already dealt with Motorola once, they repaired my husband's Maxx HD which was also bought from them and still had 1 year warranty. The service was good; hopefully, it will be same under Google leadership. I'm OK to be without my phone - I still have my old Droid 2 Global, just need to pull out my SIM and SD cards.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I found this post on here last night (in the Android Tech Support thread) & thought you might want to read it, sounds similar to your issue. It also suggests that a factory reset might resolve the issue. I hope you can get your phone working correctly soon. Smart plan keeping the Droid 2 around. :biggrin: I keep my old, trusty Bionic just for similar situations; it's always good to have a backup plan.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...ne-not-working-calls-droid-razr-hd-fixed.html

Last edited:

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Thats crazy if it works, I hope so! I was in the cell phone parts biz for a few years, and was going to say replace the mic, but after reading that link - WOW.

That really is nuts.

cmcelvaine

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD which I bought directly from Motorola before they introduced a new version of this phone. --- System version 9.30.1.XT926. Android Version: 4.1.2 Build number 9.8.1Q-94-1 Build Date Sep 26 2013 --- My problem has something to do with a microphone. Very often, during the conversation people stop hearing me. I hear them perfectly, but they do not. There is a trick to resolve this problem: I switch to a speakerphone and then back - this fixes the problem, but obviously it is not a permanent solution. Before I go through a factory reset (really my last resort), do you have any ideas what maybe wrong? I have no problem recording myself via Easy Voice Recorder, but I have not tested it for long periods of time. Anyway, my problem with people not hearing happens very often and it is not location based -- happens everywhere. Thank you for the input.

I went through the same issue and received two replacements only to have the same thing happen again, so im guessing its a hardware issue. I'm hoping that I can get a new phone now since its obvious there are flaws with this one.