Noobtastic hacking/flashing/rooting help requested

VerD2G

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the story:
When GB was released for the D2G, the OTA automatically was downloading on my way to work. While I was about 15 min away it was on 61% downloaded. When I got here, the download was still at 61%. I let it sit a few minutes, and still at 61%. I then hooked into the wifi and waited about 10 min and it had not moved at all.

I had no option to cancel the doanload via the progress bar in the main screen dropdown or in the System Updates menu. So I rebooted my phone. When I turned it back on I went to get the OTA again it said I was already downloading my update.... but nothing was downloading! Nothing I did let me start the OTA again. Figuring a manual update to GB woudl fix this, I downloaded the full 104 mb update.zip and installed it.
Now, everything is great except System Update still says there is an update being downloaded. Oh, and my phone says 'Download of update failed' multiple times a day...

Best thing figured is to SBF the phone and update again to GB, which is cool with me. However now I see there is a SBF for GB now. Here's my plan of action, if you awesome people can help me a bit:

1) SBF to GB using the wonderfully easy method here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/170060-tool-ezsbf-d2g.html#post1726853

2) Perform a data reset on the phone

3) Root the phone using the following method: [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) - RootzWiki

3) Success?

Shouldn't that be all I need to do to (hopefully) get rid of this error and then finally have my phone rooted as well?

I have another pair of questions, too:

What the heck does SBF stand for? Took me forever to find the SBF listed above.
And is there anything else that I need to know? I swear there was a more detailed collection of information onf rooting/hacking on here... but I can't find it anymore. Just want to be clear on if there is anything more to the process (as I feel technically capable).

OP
V

VerD2G

Reaction score
*facepalms*

Son of a.... how'd I miss that! Hah, thanks a ton!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
you should start with a fully charged battery

OP
V

VerD2G

Reaction score
Oh yes, definitely. I gleaned that from the other threads :D