Poor service = Stuttering

pctdavis

Reaction score
Well, my DRMHD is over a year old now so I hope someone is still supporting this guy. I love this phone except for 1 thing. When I get into an area where 4G service is not so strong, it heats up, I believe because it's trying to jump between networks. Same with wifi. Coincidentally, this always happens just when I really need my phone and I'm left with a stuttering, jumpy, frozen brick in my hand.
Is there any way to change the threshold in which it truss to jump between networks? I don't mind if it's in 3G it I'm in a weaker area. But this causing the phone to heat up and the end result gets really frustrating when you're on a construction site.
Am I alone on this one?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

turbodave

Reaction score
There's really nothing you can do about that. It's all based on closed loop power control that is set up during communications between the phone and surrounding cell sites. Those communications are what set the power level the phone has to use to try and maintain comms with the towers. It's all setup in the towers and the phone's chip set. The heat that's being generated is from the battery and the heavier demands on it.
If you're in a weak signal area the phone is going to be increasing it's power output to maintain contact and the draw on the battery will of course be very heavy. Which is why the battery draws down so quickly in weak signal areas.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
There's really nothing you can do about that. It's all based on closed loop power control that is set up during communications between the phone and surrounding cell sites. Those communications are what set the power level the phone has to use to try and maintain comms with the towers. It's all setup in the towers and the phone's chip set. The heat that's being generated is from the battery and the heavier demands on it.
If you're in a weak signal area the phone is going to be increasing it's power output to maintain contact and the draw on the battery will of course be very heavy. Which is why the battery draws down so quickly in weak signal areas.

Exactly. The battery drain is the second worst part. This goes from being an all day phone to bring my thunderbolt where I was married to a charger all day. It's great if you are in perfect service land, but not everywhere, hardly anywhere is perfect service land. There is a difference between the front of my office and the back! It's crazy.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
This is a great phone. Love the size, battery, screen. But I swear I could launch this thing out the window sometimes. Right when I really want to use it...freeze, slow, stutter.....argh..:banghead::banghead:

aarong03

Reaction score
This is a great phone. Love the size, battery, screen. But I swear I could launch this thing out the window sometimes. Right when I really want to use it...freeze, slow, stutter.....argh..:banghead::banghead:

I recommend getting the LTE on/off app. This way when you are in a low 4G area you turn off 4G and use 3G. I use it all the time.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Most reporting apps for signal levels are inaccurate and only give you a small portion of the actual details of the connection between phone and tower.
Tower sites are the central command for every phone within its coverage area. The overhead data are the commands your phone listens for, and is directed by.
Your personal overload class is known, reverse channel information is received and monitored to ensure proper handshaking to the tower at all times, and if your connection degrades, the tower commands the phone to increase its transmit power to maintain a quality signal, unless your phone is already at maximum. The receiver also operates in a similar manner, but not controlled by the tower, but by the phone's internal RF signal processing, measuring the RSSI and constantly increasing or decreasing the signal gain into the phone's 'front end' as it were, constantly metering this metric just as the tower does to your uplink, or reverse channel.
Your handset will transmit to the tower on RF channel 384, but your phone also listens on the forward channel of 1884. Channel 384 is 836.520, and Channel 1884 is: 881.520 MHz.
Of course the tower also has your IMEI. MEID, as well as tower (station ID), SID, NID, MNC, MCC and UATI color code and a lot more data than you would realize!
All of this occurs in microseconds. Not to mention the tower hand-offs when you are mobile. All of this data follows you everywhere.

There is a free app called Network Info II, which also has a paid version available, as another app called Network signal Info Pro, which also shows system information, RSSI and WiFi/IP data.
A handy app to be sure.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I should have clarified. The Phone info app I posted is to turn off LTE. Moving to "Cdma auto prl" will turn off LTE.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
I recommend getting the LTE on/off app. This way when you are in a low 4G area you turn off 4G and use 3G. I use it all the time.

Well, I have that and I use it when I am in a known bad 4G spot. But, when I am mobile and I enter a "spot" of bad 4G, I can just switch back and forth all of the time. I considered only going 3G but that network is terrible!

However, this occurs when I am on wifi too (the stuttering, slow, random). Oh well, I guess I just have to live with it being bad 15%of the time.