Stock Navigation question

Reaction score
I have had Android phone since the OGDroid was released. Recently I have been using my Navigation more frequently and have noticed that it is not descriptive as it has been in the past. It will often say "head straight" or "turn right" or " take the ramp on the right" without street names or distances. Has anyone else had this happen?

A little more info... I recently tried to replace the TTL voice with the Innova "Amy" voice. I don't hear the new voice and Navigation asks me to install or skip the android ttl every time I open the app which is normal while using Innova. I think I am going to remove Innova and see if that changes anything but I figured I would check with you guys to see if someone knew anything about the topic.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
There was a recent update that broke the street names being spoken for some folks. I am not sure if it is a bug, or simply something Google removed themselves. What is weird is that it doesn't seem to do it to everyone, as I am up to date, and as of yesterday still had street names. I haven't seen a fix, outside of uninstalling updates. I will say that I haven't used a different voice on my Galaxy Nexus.

OP

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I kind of suspected an update that affected the app. However, I uninstalled Innova and deleted the folders with Root Explorer but I also got curious and listened to what the other stock Google TTL languages sounded like. Long story short I had actually a mix of both EU and US female voices reading directions which sounded like

EU:"Head North"
US: " Then"
EU: "Turn Right"

Man that was annoying. But I noticed I still didn't have street names. I decided to go back into Settings>input and select the US voice again and listen to a sample. I did this three times and then opened up a few of my directions shortcuts and each time they told me what direction to head on what street then turn onto the next street. I don't know why but it wasn't until I reelected the US voice and listen to samples a few times I was able to get more detailed directions. I thought it would be a good idea to reply and let everyone know that I was able to obtain more descriptive directions. PM me if you have more questions.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
After a bit of searching I found this: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/7yCnPk9P8I8/discussion It seems as though Google thinks it is related to 4.0.2 (or under) + their updates to Maps. Being that I am on 4.0.4, this may have some truth behind it. If you are on a 4.0.4 custom ROM, and still have the problem, there is a possibility that it is a ROM problem. This is assuming Google is right though.