Ah another classic VZ store experience...also warranty question

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Sorry for the vent. Long story short, my Turbo battery is functioning about half as well as it used to. To my understanding this is somewhat expected with this phone and its turbo charger. I went to the store to see if I had an upgrade available, and if not how to file a warranty claim (cause I know Moto had something along the lines of 1 free replacement).

Anyways they were INCREDIBLY rude and contradictory and told me some of the opposite things the rep, at the same store, told me when I got the phone early last year. I was trying to be as nice and calm as possible, and they kept raising their voices, calling me out loudly in front of other customers and giving me the dirtiest looks. It was unbelievable!! I wasn't even arguing, just asking questions and they got meaner and meaner.

This of course isn't the first time I've had a VZ rep lie DIRECTLY to my face. Telling me I'm wrong, then I research when I get home and I was absolutely right, people on here testify to doing what I was told I couldn't, and I realize I was taken advantage of and it was just to get my money.

Anyways, my phones battery is dying in a day or less now, it used to give me 2 days with the same use. It's probably because I used the main charger primarily for awhile. I know that wasn't recommended but it's how things had to happen for a bit. The store wouldn't file a claim because the screen wasn't cracked, no water damage, and I had a third party launcher (which has NEVER been an issue replacing a faulty phone). They replaced my old Bionic and Droid2 three times each, then gave me a whole new phone, just based on the fact I told them service was shoddy and/or would cut in and out.

So any suggestions? Or do I pretty much just have to deal until I can get a new phone?

pchain

Reaction score
Were you at a Verizon Premium Retailer or a Verizon Corporate store? There are exceptions but my experience with Premium Retailers is they are less inclined do anything but sell you the phone initially.

It also depends what kind of warranty you have... Asurion thru Verizon vs something else.

Stinks about your battery, I'm glad you're still getting a day out of it still though.

Reactions: cr6

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a verizon corporate store rep actually refuse to honor what the company told me they would do regarding my screen protector ($25 vzw glass one).

He said (outloud) in front of everyone, " I won't do that, that money comes out of our pockets" If I still had the temper I had even 10 years ago, I'd be in jail right now.

I grabbed my phone and left. Again, waste of my time and energy. Their ignorance - Won.

pchain

Reaction score
Exceptionally bad experience you had. Their reaction truly sounds like a Premium Retailer and not a Corporate Store. Personally I avoid both and try calling Verizon and speaking or chatting to a rep. If they say no I try a different rep. Occasionally you can run across a rep that will say yes.

Sucks. Customer service is pretty much an exception to the rule, and no matter what it will chew up your time to get anything resolved.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind,

The Moto one-time free replacement was for broken screens only. So assuming your phone has nothing else wrong...but the screen just suddenly cracks..you are certainly due a replacement.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Keep in mind,

The Moto one-time free replacement was for broken screens only. So assuming your phone has nothing else wrong...but the screen just suddenly cracks..you are certainly due a replacement.

This is 100% correct. There are various types of warranties you'll get with the purchase of a brand new phone, and specifically in this case the Motorola Turbo. We're speaking only of the original Turbo, not the Turbo 2. That phone comes with three warranties out of the box. There is a 14 day worry-free warranty from the dealer where you purchased the phone which if during that 14 days you decide you don't like the phone for any reason or no reason at all, you can pay a restocking fee in the amount of approximately $40 and return the phone no questions asked.

There's a second warranty from the manufacturer which is for one year from the date of purchase and covers any manufacturing defects in materials or workmanship, which would include things such as failing battery and defective screen display, inoperative digitizer, speakers failing, headphone jack failing, Etc. That one year warranty also includes firmware problems where for instance an upgrade fails and the phone soft bricks, or it just starts acting funny and after factory data reset it still does the same thing, things such as ghosting Widgets or screens being selected without being touched, navigation failures, Bluetooth failure, Etc.

The third warranty which is also I believe a combination of Manufacturers and Verizon warranty is the one time free replacement for a shattered screen. This warranty covers damage to the screen that results in the glass shattering, but the phone otherwise operates normally, shows no signs of physical abuse beyond what may have occurred as a result of the screen shattering, shows no signs of water abuse, Etc. That warranty can in fact be voided if they feel the phone has been taken advantage of against the contractual obligations, or the Terms of Service (TOS), such as if it's rooted and they decide to void the warranty as a result of being rooted.

Note; The Turbo 2 has a shatterproof screen so there is no need for a one-time free screen replacement for a shattered screen. Other than that distinction the warranties on the Turbo 2 are identical. In respect to all other phones the warranties mentioned (except for the free screen replacement), are identical.

Once and if that phone has been replaced with a refurbished phone, otherwise known as a Certified Like-New Replacement (CLNR) phone, the new replacement phone comes with two warranties. First it comes with the remainder of the one-year manufacturer's warranty for the phone it replaced from its original date of purchase. This means that if you put you original phone in for a warranty claim 6 months after purchase the CLNR phone will have 6 months of remaining manufacturer's warranty which covers again defects in materials and workmanship.

It also comes with its own 90 day warranty which covers the phone essentially from cover to cover for all of the same reasons as mentioned above and including any additional failures that it might suffer which were not part of the manufacturing process but may have occurred as a result of abuse by the previous owner or a failure to have been properly diagnosed by the diagnosis team doing the refurbishing of the phone. This 90 day warranty essentially supersedes the lack of a warranty if your original phone were perhaps at the end of its warranty period when it was submitted for a replacement.

So for instance again, let's say you're 11 months into your first one year warranty from the manufacturer and they ship you a CLNR phone. You still have one month remaining on the manufacturer's warranty, but once that one month expires you still have another 60 days remaining of the 90 day warranty that the CLNR came with on its own. Note; you do not get the combined length of both warranties, only the remaining original warranty or the 90 days of the CLNR warranty, whichever is longer, but never less than 90 days.

So if you replace the phone at the end of its original manufacturer's warranty you still have no less than 90 days of warranty with the replacement phone. If that phone needs to be replaced for some reason and again it's within either the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty or the remainder of the 90 day warranty it's provided with on its own, they will ship yet another CLNR phone and it to will have its own 90 day warranty, irrespective of what remaining warranty was left on the previous CLNR. This means each CLNR starts the secondary 90 day warranty over again. If however your phone is outside of its one-year manufacturer's warranty and it was brand new at purchase, other than being a year old, it is no longer covered under any warranty at all.

So if I'm reading the original post correctly, the phone is not suffering as a result of a shattered screen which would fall under the one time free replacement from Motorola and Verizon. It seems the phone is suffering from a diminished battery capacity which is as the result of perhaps using the turbo charger as your exclusive charging method and putting additional wear and tear on the battery causing it to reach end-of-life sooner than expected. This would be a warrantable scenario if the phone is less than 12 months old from date of purchase, but if it's over 12 months old it now becomes an argument that you may or may not have success with in getting it covered, and my suggestions are that your best results will be obtained by speaking with a supervisor of Verizon's tech support line at 800-922-0204 rather than speaking with anyone at the store.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
So if I'm reading the original post correctly, the phone is not suffering as a result of a shattered screen which would fall under the one time free replacement from Motorola and Verizon.

Yet.. <cough> <hack><cough> :rolleyes:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And we as a forum do not condone any sort of insurance fraud, such as breaking a screen in order to qualify for a CLNR when the real reason for doing the replacement is because the battery is failing and the phone is beyond its one-year manufacturer's warranty, not that that's what you were implying or that you would ever think of doing such a thing....just saying... o_O

wcjeep

Reaction score
When we bought the Galaxy S7's the corporate VZW kiosk was happy to work with me to maintain my Unlimited Data. When we simply added an existing S5 sitting around the house to the account the VZW rep was really upset. He was offended we refused to buy another S5. Rep could not understand why we used a device sitting around the house.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ditto what FoxKat said. He detailed the warranty perfectly.

K1ngr4t, What have you tried to fix your phone? I had the same problem a while ago with my Turbo getting worse and worse battery life. I tried uninstalling apps that may be causing it to no avail, cache memory wipe to no avail. Finally I did the good ole factory data reset. WOW! Like a new phone again. Right now I'm sitting at 27 hours off the charger and I still have 73% battery life left. Granted, I haven't had a lot of screen on time, but before the FDR, that didn't matter, the battery was still dropping like a dead cat. Even if I use the phone fairly heavily for me, I get a solid 36-48 hours out of it. I was seriously thinking I need to buy a new phone, but now the love has returned.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Ok, sorry for the long post, I wanted to respond to everyone and just knocked it all out at once lol

Unfortunately it was a corporate store. But honestly I've dealt with both, really not much difference, uninformed sales reps wanting a sale. Really it depends on the rep, I've had a decent person once or twice...over like 15 years...and I'd like to think each store has at least one decent rep, but unfortunately the other 7 are morons, so your chances are...slim. But even before anything was mentioned, when I was just asking if I had an upgrade, the lady already seemed annoyed and was pretty short with me. A "Buy something or get out, there are people waiting" vibe.

I went in being unsure of the warranty but knowing somewhere a 1 time replacement was mentioned, so all I did was ask about it, and it was the second warranty FoxKat mentioned that I was thinking of, which these people only mentioned the one about the screen crack. The first lady didn't know so she called over the higher up. But I knew there was something more because it WAS a selling point when I got the phone. I'd forgotten the details and was hoping a friendly rep could clarify so I knew if it applied to my battery issue. Unfortunately it wasn't that simple. So thanks for that FoxKat. Not gonna bother going back though. And unfortunately it's past the 1 year date. Planned obsolescence!

Mostly I was laughing at how they said installing a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Smart Launcher (what I had) voids both (Verizon and Moto) warranties, I guess because he was sure I was talking about a ROM. I even said the phone isn't rooted or anything, it's just an app from the play store. At this point he had undoubtedly grabbed the attention of people around me. As far as I know this is just nonsense, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not, and if it is true...well, still funny in such a tragic way. Oh and it was quite humorous the higher up rep and the original rep with such confidence pulled up the STOCK Verizon battery manager in the settings and tried to prove smart launcher was causing the battery drain, of course it didn't even show up. Then I opened GSam and said according to this it's only taking .2% of the battery, which was 35% after 10 hours of light use, but they wouldn't even acknowledge me. I can totally relate to CaptainSS, this time and several others. And is it wrong if I mention the higher up she called over was like...one of those kind of slightly overweight but tries to be hipster dude, had a few strands of hair on his head, clearly half assed business attire with suspenders. What I'm trying to say is...I don't think he knew a damn thing about Android. :rolleyes:

I usually call in as well because yeah I've just had better experiences. But I was in a good mood, near a store, and it's been a minute since I've checked out todays offering and wanted to see some of them. I took the risk...it didn't pay off! Honestly I'm not even getting a full day out of it anymore. I usually have to plug it in a few hours before I go to bed, whereas before I could easily sleep unplugged overnight and charge it briefly the next morning and be good the rest of the day. Hmm...

Jkaod it really started maybe 6 weeks ago? And was slowly getting worse (I've hardly used the Turbo charger in months, or even added apps), so I did a FDR then. It did help, but still wasn't like new, and now it's worse than ever, I haven't changed anything and it's still getting worse, so I haven't bothered. I guess I could try again, it's just such a hassle...and from my experience I'm pretty positive it's a dying battery. My dog fell asleep on it a few times when it was in the turbo charger, I remember waking up and finding it pretty hot. I know, I know lol...

thanks again DF, I'll probably just deal with it and pay this one off a little more then upgrade around Christmas.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you've done an FDR and it didn't help much it certainly may be a battery circling the toilet. I'd try it again just to see before I forked out the dough for a new phone. My dog ate my homework a few times, but he never fell asleep on my phone and ruined it. That's hilarious....I mean sad that it might have contributed to your phone's demise. Dogs are pretty smart when they want to find warmth. Good luck. Like I said, I amazed at how well my phone is running now.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
My dog loves warm things like that. It'll still happen occasionally on the normal charger, but it's only kinda warm, and she did it for years with all my other phones; when it was the turbo charger it was pretty noticeably hotter than it's ever been. Oh well, upgrade is in February so if I wait till December the remainder I'll have to pay will be very little, less than $100, so I'll just have to pay the $30 or whatever for the new one. But I'll FDR again sometime to hold me off till then, thanks again all.