Battery life and temperature tips?

TengokuDROID

Reaction score
Anyone got any good tips on how to maximize battery life and lower temperatures on the OG Droid? It's becoming a real issue for me lately. :c

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
pretty much turn off anything that automatically updates.
turn off auto screen brightness

since you're overclocked your phone is going to get warm, but best advice is no need to check it every 5 minutes....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heat is generally caused by heavy processor use (OC doesn't help), GPS use and charging. If heat's a problem then avoid those items or cool the device. There aren't one-size-fits-all answers for this sort of thing. You need to address whatever your specific issues happen to be.

As for battery life, refer to the existing battery life threads for strategies. Again, it's not a one-size-fits-all thing. You need to analyze your specific usage and address your battery hogs. We can make recommendations but if they're not directly relevant to your situation then you'll see little benefit from them.

NeoJerk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid MAXX stock 4.4.4
Twitter
@neojerk
I never had any concerns about battery temp until I started using Android Wifi Tether on my Continuum. It slowly rises, but it's given in Celsius. How high should I let that get before I shut the service down?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I never had any concerns about battery temp until I started using Android Wifi Tether on my Continuum. It slowly rises, but it's given in Celsius. How high should I let that get before I shut the service down?

I believe that if your phone gets to 120F then you should stop using it. The battery can take higher temps, but definitely not good for it, so that's pretty much the limit. What that is in Celsius, I don't know.

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
If by OG Droid you mean original droid, then I'd like to know if you are still using the same battery. If your battery is over 12 months old, or if it is near 2, then a new battery might be in order.

Most people tend to forget that these batteries do have a life cycle and a certain number of charge cycles (typically 300-500), and a full charge cycle is completed when you have used 100% battery life, even if that is over 3 days and you have charged at different times throughout (so you aren't tricking your phone by plugging it in at 50%). In my experience, MOST smartphone users start to notice a significant change in their battery life (day to day) as early as 10 months, with most of them seeming to need a replacement in months 13+.

So consider not over thinking it...just try a new battery for a few days :).

NeoJerk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid MAXX stock 4.4.4
Twitter
@neojerk
That's about 48.88° C, thank u very much for the info!