Can't hack...no I'm not challenged

elysianfield

Reaction score
So i've had my droid 2 for a month now and the very first day i had it i rooted it. But last week i upgraded to the 2.4.0 r2d2 rom and...i lost my root. ive tried every method to get it rooted again. the command lines from the pc, the one click method, and the droid's own command lines...i had made recoveries before with the droid 2 bootstrap so idk if i could use those now and go back to my root. thank you in advance

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can you boot into custom recovery or no

KingLo

Reaction score
do you have superuser from market installed or the standard su?
If your phone is like mine you may need to double up on rageagainst the cage when youre rooting. Mine never goes through unless I run it twice in a row

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
So i've had my droid 2 for a month now and the very first day i had it i rooted it. But last week i upgraded to the 2.4.0 r2d2 rom and...i lost my root. ive tried every method to get it rooted again. the command lines from the pc, the one click method, and the droid's own command lines...i had made recoveries before with the droid 2 bootstrap so idk if i could use those now and go back to my root. thank you in advance

Do you have Superuser installed? If not, install it from the market. If you already have it installed, launch it and see if it wants to update the superuser binary or not - it will automatically prompt you if that's necessary. Do you see any apps listed in Superuser?

Assuming you have superuser installed and it's running properly, launch the Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery app (you must have had this installed if you were rooted and installing ROMs - and it should have been re-installed automatically if you did a reset before or after installing a ROM) and select Bootstrap Recovery. If you get a success message, then select launch recovery and you can restore any backup you made before installing 2.4.0.

Better still, if you can get into recovery, you should install one of AngDroid's 2.4.5 ROMs so you're up-to-date. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/angdroid/88017-green-roms-v1-vzw_2-4-5-base.html

Let us know how things go.

OP
E

elysianfield

Reaction score

Do you have Superuser installed? If not, install it from the market. If you already have it installed, launch it and see if it wants to update the superuser binary or not - it will automatically prompt you if that's necessary. Do you see any apps listed in Superuser?

Assuming you have superuser installed and it's running properly, launch the Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery app (you must have had this installed if you were rooted and installing ROMs - and it should have been re-installed automatically if you did a reset before or after installing a ROM) and select Bootstrap Recovery. If you get a success message, then select launch recovery and you can restore any backup you made before installing 2.4.0.

Better still, if you can get into recovery, you should install one of AngDroid's 2.4.5 ROMs so you're up-to-date. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/angdroid/88017-green-roms-v1-vzw_2-4-5-base.html

ok went into superuser and there were no apps and no update prompt

and i hit bootstrap recovery it said success but when i hit reboot recovery it showed an fc window

OP
E

elysianfield

Reaction score
do you have superuser from market installed or the standard su?
If your phone is like mine you may need to double up on rageagainst the cage when youre rooting. Mine never goes through unless I run it twice in a row

that would only be through the regular computer command prompt right?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

and i hit bootstrap recovery it said success but when i hit reboot recovery it showed an fc window

Load ROM Manager (if you don't have it already) and try to boot into recovery from there.

You could also try clearing data for Droid 2 Boostrap app.

Have you tried the normal ways to launch Recovery, e.g., boot up until the boot animation appears, pull battery, then restart and it should go into CW Recovery.

Last edited:
OP
E

elysianfield

Reaction score

Load ROM Manager (if you don't have it already) and try to boot into recovery from there.

Have you tried the normal ways to launch Recovery, e.g., boot up until the boot animation appears, pull battery, then restart and it should go into CW Recovery.

no none of that worked...fc for rom manager and clearing bootstrap data ended up with same results

i do have previous backup and titanium backup...would i be able to to restore back to factory settings and try again? or would i be wasting my time?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

no none of that worked...fc for rom manager and clearing bootstrap data ended up with same results

i do have previous backup and titanium backup...would i be able to to restore back to factory settings and try again? or would i be wasting my time?

Try wiping data and see if that helps...Settings>Privacy>Factory Reset and see if that helps getting into recovery. Titanium backup likely won't help w/your current situation.