Can't Remove Facebook Account from "My Accounts"

gjbrown33

Reaction score
I'm having a problem that is driving me crazy and I can't seem to fix it. When I initially set up my phone it merged all of my contacts (phone/Outlook/Facebook), which is great, but the Facebook pictures and updates haven't updated in my Contacts list since I got the phone.
I've tried everything, and all I really want to do is delete my Facebook Account from my phone and re-enter it to see if that fixes my problem. However, there is no way for me to delete the account from "My Accounts." I get the red bar that says "Removing Account" and it is completely at the end, but it never disappears. I can't add another facebook account because you can only have one at a time and mine never deletes.
Has anyone encountered this and is there any way to fix it? I just want to try to load my Facebook info from scratch so I can see if I can get it to sync regularly.
To clarify - I am not talking about the downloaded Facebook Application, just the Account info in the "My Account" portion of the Droid X.
Thanks in advance!

beetle

Reaction score
go to settings>accounts & sync in that should be all your accounts then you can remove the facebook account.

This does not work...

I have nearly the same problem as the OP, but my Facebook contacts have disappeared all together from my contact list. When I narrow my contact list to Facebook contacts, it states "You have no contacts" and nothing is there.

When I go into Manage Accounts, Facebook tells me my password is wrong (which it's not). I re-enter the password, just to try, and it gives me a loading screen that gets to the end, and then just sits there endlessly.

I then also went into Manage Accounts, and tried removing the Facebook acct. at the OP did, and I get the same problem.. "Removing account..." gets to the end of the red bar, and just sits there doing nothing..

I've searched tons on Google, and this thread is really all I could find about this problem. I called Verizon (don't ask me why), and they of course were no help, and pushed the blame to Facebook. :icon_evil:
Please find me an answer!

MuffinTop

Reaction score
I disable sync with facebook and it tells me "Facebook contact information is not editable on this device" I believe I will have to delete many of my contacts that were synced with FB, and re-enter them.

Calabash

Reaction score
Yep, I had a friend who recently died and was synched into my contacts from facebook. I tried to delete him from my phone and it told me I had to delete him from facebook first. I did so but I am still being told that I have to delete him from facebook.??

tourplayer

Reaction score
go to settings>accounts & sync in that should be all your accounts then you can remove the facebook account.

This does not work...

I have nearly the same problem as the OP, but my Facebook contacts have disappeared all together from my contact list. When I narrow my contact list to Facebook contacts, it states "You have no contacts" and nothing is there.

When I go into Manage Accounts, Facebook tells me my password is wrong (which it's not). I re-enter the password, just to try, and it gives me a loading screen that gets to the end, and then just sits there endlessly.

I then also went into Manage Accounts, and tried removing the Facebook acct. at the OP did, and I get the same problem.. "Removing account..." gets to the end of the red bar, and just sits there doing nothing..

I've searched tons on Google, and this thread is really all I could find about this problem. I called Verizon (don't ask me why), and they of course were no help, and pushed the blame to Facebook. :icon_evil:
Please find me an answer!

I have the exact same problem. I just figured I would wait for the OTA 2.2 update and wipe my phone before I upgrade. My facebook pictures and such were working correctly until either I downloaded the facebook app or I let a friend sign in to his facebook account using the browser. I'm not sure which one started the problem. Now I can log into his facebook account anytime I want. I've tried clearing cache, etc... Using the browser I can log in as myself then logoff and it jumps right back to his id and pw and all I have to do is hit login with his info. I love this phone but the facebook integration is horrible to put it mildly.

dkst0426

Reaction score
That's weird - I haven't encountered such an issue yet (and I hope I won't), even when I was deleting my Facebook account to rework my contacts list. I have noticed it takes some time for Facebook to sync (like when someone changes a profile picture, for example) with my device - profile pic/contact info syncing with my Contacts took forever last night.

Facebook server issue, maybe?

Condolences on the death of your friend, Calabash. My mom passed away in April, and we still can't quite bring ourselves to delete her account.

onlinehandyman

Reaction score
I would really like to reset the phone but am worried that I would lose the apps that I paid for - some of them cost a few buck like Documents to Go".

I am becomming increasingly frustrated with this phone! Not only do I have this problem - not being able to delete contacts even after trying everything that everyone else has tried, the phone has several more annoying bugs.

Now I am off to look for a thread on how to fix the lag. The phone spends more time with a blank screen than without... yes I have shut down most apps.

Anyways, thanks everyone for all of your help! This is a great board of friendly, helpful people - I just wish this phone would work better!

Mudd92

Reaction score
Not to jack a thread but is there anyway to remove some people out of the contacts without removing my FB account or deleting them?

Because on my orig. Droid 1 I could just "hide" them in my contacts. Because now alot of my contacts are doubled, and a good bit of my friends dont list there numbers on FB so it makes it a pain when scrolling contacts!

onlinehandyman

Reaction score
Just to update - I reset my phone and reinstalled everything the way that I had it except for Twitter and FB and those 800 something contacts that those apps imported. Everything is running perfect again - at least the last 2 days.

The lag was actually making me hate my Droid X. My phone was so messed up, I actually wanted my Storm 1 back.

Now I just have to figure out how to carefully get use of Twitter and FB without making my phone unusable again.............

Dlucke17

Reaction score
Hey, guys... I'm not sure if you found the answer to your problem but I was having the same issues and this was my resolution...

First, my issue was the FB was giving me an account error. I would try to make a change in the settings under account and it would error saying that the account may have been created incorrectly (or something like that). So, I could not change the password or delete the account from there. I also tried to go to Apps / settings and uninstall FB, but it never would uninstall. This was pissing me off! I am rooted with the latest build and I didn't want to go through all the hassle again!!!

I did A TON of searching online and everyone talked about it, but no real answer. The only thing that I was pointed to, other than troubleshooting, as a fix was was to reboot. I was not satisfied with this!!! I cleared all memory, cache, accounts, etc. in all FB, SOCIAL MEDIA, and ANY other app that may have linked to, in the OS setting AND NOTHING.

MY FIX: Long story short, I was in the batch mode in Titanium Backup and wiped all memory/cache and deleted all backups. I went ahead and removed the FB & FB auth. apps from TB and then restarted. IT WAS FIXED!!! Facebook account was removed, and no more errors when trying to update my accounts...

Now, I didn't note exactly how I did this at the time, so I am writing this from memory. I am sure though that TB was the step that fixed my issue!!! Hope this works for you.