Difference?

comk4ver

Reaction score
So I'm kinda of new when I comes to the droid rom theme scene. And to give some background I when from stock 2.1 to cm 6 rc 2 to cm 6 to and nextone rom to droid x rom back to cm 6 to sapphire 1 always using the launcher pro home app. Then I realized that the only differences between these roms were icon appearances, notification bars, kernals and animation logo. Is this all the differences between these hacks? I appreciate all the developers of these roms and theme and their hard work. But will some please point out the differences between these themes and roms? I keep wondering maybe I should just change my launcher pro for adw in order to see some differences because I never see a perceivable difference between one rom to the next. I obviously love cm 6 because that was the rom that got me hooked on rooting scene but I keep wondering if there's no obvious difference then I'm going back to cm 6 and stay there cause it's the most upgraded and worked on.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm a rom fanatic. I try them all and use two different roms with different themes as my daily drivers. I've been saying for months and months that there isn't a grain of salt difference in most of the roms. On my phone, they all seem to work fine and run really well. Back a month or two ago I put a bunch of different roms on and used the same kernel and checked their performance with different benchmark tools. They all performed the same (with slight difference in numbers, which I felt were negligible.

I now pick roms based on which themes are available for it. I am using UD1 for Bold N Black theme and Sapphire 1.1.1 for the Golden Elegance theme. That's the way I do it.

Good luck and play around with roms and themes until you fine a combination you like.

OP
comk4ver

comk4ver

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it. I thought I was really crazy. I just hate it when I see the posted pics of the roms and think that's cool then I go and there's no really difference you know. I keep thinking it's like putting a different wallpaper for windows. I want real differences but I guess I would have to leave droid for something different like palm but I love my little droid. So, I'll keep looking and finding different "clothes" for it. Appreciate it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Then I realized that the only differences between these roms were icon appearances, notification bars, kernals and animation logo. Is this all the differences between these hacks?

For a lot of ROMs, that is the case, but I think CM6 breaks away from that quite a bit. While it's true that a lot of the options are appearance options for things like the status bar, notifications, logos, etc, most of the options that make a rom like CM unique are under the hood. Things you might not even remember that the stock rom didn't have.

Hit the power button and you'll see an extra option for "reboot". That's a CM thing. The notification tray has power control in it now. You can remap a long-press of the home key to run any app you want. You have a lot of new options for calls and screen locking (adding a custom message to the screenlock is a nice feature).

If you're looking for the latest+greatest themes, CM might not be the rom of choice. Because it's compiled from source, you can't just apply any old theme and expect it's going to work, especially if you are running a nightly build. If you crave cool new features, on the other hand, and don't mind that themes don't come this way much, perhaps CM is the way to go. I like that I can change colors for anything I want to without having to install a theme or hack around - it's just a config option I can change.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Most ROM makers use CM code for the majority of their ROM. Most, not all. That would account for a lot of the similarities.

Most from-source ROMs, I assume you mean. Plenty of ROMs are just modified stock, too.

OP
comk4ver

comk4ver

Reaction score
you're right guys. I did take it for granted the reboot option off of cm! I just installed miu (sp?) and I'm really happy with that right now (the pretty colors!) anywho. I'm gonna wait until avalon comes around I'm hoping I'll be happy with that one! Appreciate all the feedback!

catpaws

Reaction score
What about the customizable notification leds? That's probably my favorite CM feature, and I'm pretty sure it's CM-unique. If not, CM had it first.

donerico

Reaction score
What about the customizable notification leds? That's probably my favorite CM feature, and I'm pretty sure it's CM-unique. If not, CM had it first.
As far as I know CM was first, but several ROMs have it: CM, ShadowROM, Chevy SS, UD.