Do not use droidmod updater

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It was leaked and can potentially brick devices.

From convo from DroidMOD;

[12:05] == pc747 [add91ae7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.173.217.26.231] has joined #droidmod
[12:06] <pc747> importatnt question The new dmupdater is that an approved app you guys put out or did it get leaked and its not finished. Poeple putting on their devices and want to know as im being asked
[12:06] <@vulc4n> it was leaked.
[12:07] <pc747> and are u guys charging 20 bucks for it. it does not seem like you guys to be doing some stff like that
[12:07] <@vulc4n> lol. where did you hear that?
[12:07] <pc747> its all over the forum people saying they are now being charged 20 bucks
[12:07] <pc747> droidforum'
[12:07] <@vulc4n> link?
[12:08] <pc747> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...sing-dm-uploader-few-days-ago.html#post690441
[12:08] <pc747> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...oot-droid-1-droid-x-evo-4g-within-app-11.html
[12:09] <pc747> want to get this stuff straighten out. If people aint suppose to have it i need to tell the admin to pull those links
[12:09] <@vulc4n> no, they aren't supposed to have them.
[12:10] <@Ronen> vulc4n, can't really "leak" something that was posted in a (then public) IRC channel...
[12:10] <@TheDeathly> Ronen, but it wasnt supposed to leave the channel.
[12:10] <@TheDeathly> although it was on the git, so its "fair play".
[12:10] <@vulc4n> Ronen: I suppose. I think Camel may have made this into a bigger mess than it needed to be
[12:10] <pc747> thanks can you have some one for you group let droidlife know that so the can disable the links. If they can potentially mess up phones
[12:11] <@vulc4n> pc747: are you in touch with the guy who runs droidlife?
[12:11] == carden [[email protected]] has quit [Quit: Leaving.]
[12:11] <pc747> brb ill get his gmail
[12:11] <@vulc4n> pc747: and yes, it absolutely has the potential to brick phones.
[12:13] == cystic850 [[email protected]] has quit [Ping timeout: 276 seconds]
[12:13] <pc747> [email protected]
[12:13] <pc747> ima let the mods and admin on droidforum know to pull those links.
[12:13] <@Ronen> Whoops...that wasn't supposed to happen.
[12:13] <pc747> thanks.
[12:14] <pc747> do you have a problem if i copy and paste our convo to the admin
[12:15] <@vulc4n> pc747: sure. actually, can I get into contact with him, too?
[12:15] <@vulc4n> I wanted to see about getting some sort of official account for the droidmod team over there
[12:15] <@Ronen> Neat, FRG01B is out.
[12:16] <DLister|work> vulc4n: dmupdater is in the market for $20
[12:16] <@TheDeathly> i dont even see it.
[12:16] <pc747> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=2
[12:16] <@vulc4n> hah. I bet I know what happened.
[12:17] == freehood4all [[email protected]] has quit [Ping timeout: 276 seconds]
[12:17] <pc747> i did not see the app either but people are saying hitting the link takes them there. I do not know because I am rooted manually. I will post a thread telling people to not get any apps dealing with dmupdater unless the get it from you guys webpage. is that an acurate statement
[12:17] <JoeTheGuest> Yea love the dmupdater update
[12:18] == G8orDroid_ [[email protected]] has joined #droidmod
[12:18] == _G8orDroid [[email protected]] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
[12:18] <@vulc4n> pc747: it was prerelease software, we are just trying to keep people from bricking their phones. Its something that still needs testing.
[12:18] <@TheDeathly> UncleRuckus, i read scroll up. Because, so stuff cant get leaked again.
[12:19] <pc747> ok ima copy and paste this . Got to go to work. But people were raving on it, but it was weird it was not on ur page

Smackbox.org

Reaction score
Ok I installed this prior to finding out it was leaked. I run the dmupdater and it comes up with a message asking to update to version 0.1.2 after that it takes you to market and the price is $20.00. Just wanted to point that out.

I am uninstalling the app now until its official release. thanks for the heads up!

Mojo

Reaction score
Wow.. I am really shocked about this. I mean seriously, if a link was given out on IRC they know that there is lurkers in there waiting to jump on something like this and leak it out to the masses. This hit Droid life, then Droidforums and then 10 other sites in a matter of a few hours. They could have at least posted something on DroidMod.org about this.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
closed

ok guys thanks and i'm closing this one for now.........

@ PC 747 please contact me via PM or gtalk

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ladies and gentleman please do not use the DM updater until they have fully released it. apparently it can cause serious issues. As always if you chose to use it you do it at your own risk Df assumes no responsibility

thetomas

Reaction score
My other thread got closed as this was reopened, so I guess I'll repost here.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not upset with anyone about the accidental leak, using any rooting method is a risk the user takes on themselves. I"m only interested in mitigating any damage that might have already taken place.

I picked up the leaked DM updater almost immediately after it was posted on droid life and used it right away. I don't know if i'm lucky or the tool wasn't as bad as they made it seem but my droid is rooted and functioning fine (although I was having some "damaged" sd card problems).

Is there any damage that the tool might have caused behind the scenes on my phone which should be addressed on a seemingly functional device, or was this simply a pass/fail potential for problems? If the tool didn't brick the device right away am I in the clear or is there potential for problems down the road that I should clear up now?

After using an adapter to mount my sd card on my pc, I backed up my info and scanned for errors. The droid then accepted the sd without errors, but I still reformatted on device before restoring my media and downloads. It's now running fine.

Any advice would be appreciated, and if anyone thinks my SD card issue might be related, advice on that would be appreciated as well.

Reaction score
My other thread got closed as this was reopened, so I guess I'll repost here.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not upset with anyone about the accidental leak, using any rooting method is a risk the user takes on themselves. I"m only interested in mitigating any damage that might have already taken place.

I picked up the leaked DM updater almost immediately after it was posted on droid life and used it right away. I don't know if i'm lucky or the tool wasn't as bad as they made it seem but my droid is rooted and functioning fine (although I was having some "damaged" sd card problems).

Is there any damage that the tool might have caused behind the scenes on my phone which should be addressed on a seemingly functional device, or was this simply a pass/fail potential for problems? If the tool didn't brick the device right away am I in the clear or is there potential for problems down the road that I should clear up now?

After using an adapter to mount my sd card on my pc, I backed up my info and scanned for errors. The droid then accepted the sd without errors, but I still reformatted on device before restoring my media and downloads. It's now running fine.

Any advice would be appreciated, and if anyone thinks my SD card issue might be related, advice on that would be appreciated as well.

No damage behind the scenes, it would have bricked your device instantly if it had messed up. Your sd card is fine, the damage might have come from the program copying files to it or something but I doubt it.... Be happy it worked, your not gonna find trouble down the line either, your safe. dancedroid

I don't understand what all the hub bub is about, in the link from this forum to the download it clearly stated it was a beta program and to use at your own risk, and it said it had the potential to brick your device. I don't believe it has bricked many peoples phones I would like to see some posts or reports of this happening. My guess is that if it did hurt someone phone they didn't follow the directions and used it on a droid inc or droid x or with 2.01 or some other software version. It clearly stated also it could only be used on 2.1 and on the droid 1.... I guess its safer to pull just in case, but really where did you hear that its bricking phones left and right?

Edmvr6

Reaction score
As soon as I saw that Droidmod was able to root 2.1 I went ahead and did it, My phone is working great, no problems here, BUT after reading all this I decided to unroot so i went to DM updater to uninstall but does not let me .. now it says version 0.1.2 is available... what do I do? Am i stuck with it?

Edmvr6

Reaction score
Soo???????????????????????????????????????????

Reaction score
so when this first came out i was debating to use it...so i did the DMupdater and everything worked fine for me..then like an hour of being rooted i decided to unroot because i just didnt feel like having it anymore. i went back to the DMupdater, and i updated to the latest one installed 2.0.1 back. as well as deleted the nandroid backup and everything that dealt with rooting out of the sdcard. and a couple minutes later i got the 2.1-update1 OTA. so im guessing nothing went wrong during my experience on the Dmupdater

Edmvr6

Reaction score
Thats great that u went back to stock, but how about for people that r stuck?

Reaction score
Thats great that u went back to stock, but how about for people that r stuck?

Dude Im kinda confusedddd why you think your stuck. For one it shouldn't be doing anything after you used it to root, And what do you mean it WONT let you uninstall? You can easily uninstall it. If your rooted, why dont you install a custom rom while your at it. get bb4 or something. Then before you install the rom, wipe data and cache... This should delete dm updater from your phone, and wont re download after you install the rom becaue its not from the market...

I used The dmupdater on a friends phone who wasnt comforatable with me rooting it myself (cant blame him, I dunno what I'm doing completely yet) and his phone is fine. Theres no dm updater since we installed a new rom for him.

But yeah There shouldnt be any probelms down the line... Someone correct me if Im wrong, but if it worked it worked right?

I Dont think people should go using this program to unroot and everything thinking theres something wrong with it. More problems could arise that way. If you used it and it worked, YOUR FINE.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I think that if someone wants to root they should do it manually. This way they will have given it some thought and fully understand what has been done. For instance Edmvr6 thinks he is stuck and doesn't know what to do.

A one click tool makes it too easy for someone who has heard the word "root" and thinks it sounds cool to get somewhere on their phone that they don't know where they are.

Just rooting is not of much use. You really need to understand rooting and flashing roms. Flashing new roms is a great deal of fun, but you need to do some reading first. And then when you know how to flash a rom you will also know how to return to stock.

Unless you want to flash new roms there is really not much of a reason to root.