Do render effect settings save battery on a Droid (LCD)?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I'm curious as to if the render effect adjustments on CM 6.1 release candidates have any effect on battery life for the droid. I have heard different things (only saves battery on amoled and not lcd) and am just curious about whether the calibrated (n1) setting or any setting for that matter could potentially save battery.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I remember reading a test done once that said the red could save some battery life, but I personally don't think it was enough to put up with it looking that fugly. :)

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Any ideas on using the calibrated (n1) setting? I assume it's tweaked for the nexus one's amoled but I'm curious if it has any effect on battery.

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Yeah, it seems to have turned down the backlight a decent amount and colors are still accurate. Seems similar to a calibrated hd tv. I can't really tell with the effect on battery life. Im just assuming the n1 screen is most beneficial of the calibrated settings but am curious of the n1 calibrated setting's effect on the droid's lcd.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I just tried that and it seemed to cast a slight amber hue over everything. I don't know if it helps any, but it certainly might make staring at the screen a little easier on the eyes after an extended period of time.

ty_

Reaction score
the red is nice for in the dark because it stimulates the pupils.

so even when its the middle of the night and the dimmest setting is too bright the red is much more easier on the eyes.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
the red is nice for in the dark because it stimulates the pupils.

so even when its the middle of the night and the dimmest setting is too bright the red is much more easier on the eyes.

Agreed.

Sent from my Droid

wingdo

Reaction score
I'm curious as to if the render effect adjustments on CM 6.1 release candidates have any effect on battery life for the droid. I have heard different things (only saves battery on amoled and not lcd) and am just curious about whether the calibrated (n1) setting or any setting for that matter could potentially save battery.

I cannot find the thread at the moment (OK, I didn't look too hard), but what you heard is correct. The render effects only affect the battery on amoled screens. The red LEDs consume the least power and the blue ones consume the most. So using the red effect may save you a little bit of battery drain. Since LCDs work off of a backlight as opposed to LEDs there is no battery savings from using any color scheme.

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

I cannot find the thread at the moment (OK, I didn't look too hard), but what you heard is correct. The render effects only affect the battery on amoled screens. The red LEDs consume the least power and the blue ones consume the most. So using the red effect may save you a little bit of battery drain. Since LCDs work off of a backlight as opposed to LEDs there is no battery savings from using any color scheme.

There's a good chance we saw the same thread...maybe on androidforums or nexusoneforums...