Droid 2: Constant Force Close, Unable to access home screen.

Fenix32

Reaction score
Hello People of Droid Forums! :yahoo:

I wish I was making my first post here about something more happy... but sadly, its not.

The problem I'm having is a constant Force Close of the app Open home. The exact error is, "The application Open Home (process com.betterandroid.openhome2) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
No matter how many times I press the Force Close button I cannot get back to my home screen. The error just loops! I can receive status updates and reply to text messages, but that's about it.

What I need to know is how can I remove the app without access to the app store or settings. I DO have a usb cable and I can access my phones files.

Please Help! dancedroid

Thanks in advance,
Fenix32

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you press the menu button can you bring up the settings if so you can go to applications > manage applications > open home > uninstal. If that doesn't work have you tried restarting the phone?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
Fenix32

Fenix32

Reaction score
Yes I have tried restarting. And the menu button isn't responsive while the force close error is on the screen, and when I hit the force close button it still wont let me use the menu button before the error pops back up again!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You may have to do something like this:

Boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset (wipe data/cache). This will remove all apps/data from your phone - your google/gmail stuff (contacts/calendar/email/bookmarks, etc.) are in the cloud so you won't lose any of that. You will lose SMS/MMS messages and call logs.

- Turn on phone holding X key down at same time as power. Release keys when you see the Moto logo. Press Search (magnifying glass) button on your keyboard when the yellow triangle appears. use volume key to move down to the factory reset option and press camera button to select the option.

Then when you boot up (you will start out w/the stock home screen when you first boot up) , launch the Market and go to your Downloads (Menu>Downloads).

The Market will be trying to download/install all of your apps...find Open Home in the list of downloads and kill it (tap on the "starting download" entry and then hit cancel on the app detail screen.

Do NOT hit the home key after you're in the Market until you have stopped the Open Home download, or uninstalled it if it was installed before you could stop the download. It might be best to wait for Open Home to install and then uninstall it to make sure the Market never tries to install it again. if you cancel the download I think it will also kill any install intent in the future, but not 100% sure...

Alternatively, you could probably also go into Market right away and install Launcher Pro and then after Launcher Pro install is complete hit your Home button, and select the option to make Launcher Pro your default home. But probably better to just kill the Open Home download or uninstall Open Home.

Either way I'd install Launcher Pro...no FCs and a really great launcher that won't screw you up. :)

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Redflea beat me to factory reset. Also I suggest installing home switcher in the marketplace. Its not an absolute must but I suggest it to anyone using a home replace app.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk