Droid 2 World or iphone 4 (verizon)

chrstdvd

Reaction score
BWHITE757, now I have to get up off the sofa go over and crank up the desktope, find this thread,copy and paste it into an email to my daughter who gets her iPhone tomorrow. Thanks!

Could U suggest the best case for her that would minimize damage when she drops it gets out of bed and steps on it?

HOOKBILL, ur suggestion to get a BB is just mean. But, ah ha.

OP
S

sammy996

Reaction score
chrstdvd - Well not this is funny. My daughter.. same freakin' thing... 400 things scrambled on the floor right next to her bed, phone and sometimes camera among them. Camera already has a cracked screen and she has no idea how that happened. Could it be that SHE STEPPED ON IT... or maybe she is not lying about that and it is simply that she keeps these things in here freakin' BACK POCKET. At any rate...more business for our friend bwhite757.....

chrstdvd

Reaction score
chrstdvd - Well not this is funny. My daughter.. same freakin' thing... 400 things scrambled on the floor right next to her bed, phone and sometimes camera among them. Camera already has a cracked screen and she has no idea how that happened. Could it be that SHE STEPPED ON IT... or maybe she is not lying about that and it is simply that she keeps these things in here freakin' BACK POCKET. At any rate...more business for our friend bwhite757.....

Yep, my girl got out of bed one morning and stepped on her Think Pad, $1400 down the drain as she cracked the screen.

Anyway, I got on her last night with bwhit757's info. She did some research and ended up ordering the Outterbox case. And she says she will not even unbox her iPhone until she gets the case. Here is a link to a video of it where the fellow tosses the thing down a street and all is well.
iPhone 4 Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com.

She turned 17 Sunday and this is her present. I told her one more year to go and the "Fountain of Cash" runs dry, you are on your own."

chrstdvd

Reaction score
sammy996 I read today that the iPhone 5 coming out this summer will be have a 4 inch screen. Lots of rumors, even one with a slide out keyboard.

I am pushing 64 and need a larger phone because it hurts my eyes reading more than an hour on this 3.? inch screen. The D2 is a great phone, I like better than the iPhone but I like the safari browser best of all browsers, but they do not have one for the Droids. I have ended up switching my time between Dolphin and Skyfire browsers; I use Dolphin the most.

X2 is rumored to be coming out this summer and I really want to try that. The Thunderbolt by HTC is supposed to come out on the 24th and I really like what I read about it, but it is LTE which will not be in Mc Kenney Va until 2030, ha, we barley have 3G. But the reviews say the Tbolt works great on 3G too. So Decisions, Decisions and wait some more.

Oh, and the LG Revolution sounds great too, but a hole bunch of people bad mouth LG in general.

D2 Global, well it is not D2, and if you read the D2G forums enough you might get a sour taste in your mouth.

Here is the link to the iPhone forum I have been following that will give you a taste of what folks are thinking who switched to it. Little things are starting to pop up that irritate Android x users. The x blackberry people are blown away with it though, especially the x storm 1&2 users.
Verizon iPhone Forum - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at TiPb.com

Last edited:

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Get a D2G. Wait, get an iPhone. But then again D2G is better. But the iPhone has a better app store. Do you like Steve Jobs? How many times have you posted that you hate him? iPhone has the best screen. Droid is opens source. Did you look at the other 20 or 30 posts on this? That's ok, there will be 20 or 30 more after it. iPhone is for teen age girls. Droids are for nerds. What, you're neither?

Then get a Blackberry!

Problem solved! And you're welcome. ;)
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Hook hit the nail on the head with tha one for sure :icon_ banana:

OP
S

sammy996

Reaction score
Here is a question.... if you wait for 4G and you are not in a 4G spot, thus defaulting to 3G, are you going to blow out some data max? I am hearing that unlimited is not truly unlimited.

OP
S

sammy996

Reaction score
Well, in case any of you are interested...and out of respect for those who helped me... I have the Droid 2 Global and here is a dump of info on the phone for others to read.
01. Phone is overall great.
02. Battery is average but there is a 30% more powerful battery that bumps out the back a few millimeters (size of cred card). Therefore gel covers etc still work
03. There is no '.com' on the keyboard. Not a biggy
04. Processor is quick
05. Calls are clear
06. Alarm for wake up is neat with an increasing sound and a backup loud sound if the alarm is not responded to within 5 minutes
07. Not sure if I needed the keyboard but not really a choice right now.. HTC Incredible has such a horrible battery life and the X is a little to big for me.
08. I called out to others I know and the battery life on the iPhone is not much better than the D2G after all and that was the only reason I was considering it.
09. The charging stand, the one that is about 30 and more rounded and sleek is awesome. I don't use my regular night table clock anymore and the phone is fully charged every morning without the worry of overcharging. Weather is displayed also.
10. I am still trying to find a 1 piece case to use since I will rarely if at all use the keyboard and therefore don't need to 2 piece case.
11. the general Mail program that comes with the phone is good but I wish there was a choice to see 1 line per email instead of 3 in the general view. I am sure there are programs I can download
12. The included text reader is good but I think there should also be some other viewing choices. Again I am sure there are other programs out there.
13. Music program good
14. Calendar and contact sync good and quick
15. Blue-tooth excellent
16. Voice recognition excellent.. even amazing.
Overall.... can't go wrong with this phone and I think 4G will be expensive (at least at first) and of no use for those who do not stream much or download movies. If I did both of those, then I might have considered the X with the larger screen.
17. GPS very good and quick

If I figure out more to state to help others, I will likely copy these first 16 and just add at a later note so others have it all in 1 place.