DROID Browser & Web Authentication...

Hummdis

Reaction score
Many of you have heard of Ryan Bliss and the Digital Blasphemy digital wallpaper website (if not, go check it out).

The problem that I have is that the browser does not send the authentication when downloading just the image. The image displays in the browser without issue, but when you press and hold over the image and select "Save" it reports "Download unsuccessful" every time.

I've taken this up with Ryan at DB already and he's trying to figure out a work-around or fix to the problem, but I feel the bigger issue is the Android browser not re-sending the authentication information to download the file since it works fine in Chrome on Windows & Mac, as well as Firefox, Safari and IE on desktop computers.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

mxduppup

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if you have figured this out yet? I have been to many different sites and blogs and everyone has a different "answer" but none of them seem to work.

OP
Hummdis

Hummdis

Reaction score
Nope...

No, sorry.

From my discussion with Ryan Bliss, the problem lies in the way the browser sends .htaccess password protected content. The Android phone simply doesn't "re-send" the authentication information for the photo when you try to download it, hence the problem.

I've even tried using Opera Mini to download, thinking that maybe it's the default browser on the phone, but that didn't work either. Therefore, it's clearly something on the phone itself.

If I ever find a fix, I'll post it here.

mxduppup

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it might be my browser too so I tried Dolphin HD. Thank you. I will just stick to downloading them on my laptop and emailing them to myself.

OP
Hummdis

Hummdis

Reaction score
Well...

Personally, I download them to a shared folder and use Astro File Manager with the Wifi plugin that allows me to connect to my shared folder and transfer them that way. Emailing works, too. :)