Droid PDA (NON-CELLPHONE) ??

suedely

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Droid PDA (non-cellphone) device. Does it exist?

Any thoughts? Basically I'm wanting an iPOD Touch android device I can use on local wireless networks and as a music player.

Lastly as my final resort, I guess I could take my SIM card out of my AT&T blackberry and throw it in another device (when I'm not on-call for work). But I would want the device to be able to boot up without the SIM card so I can still use it on local wireless LANs.

Thanks and I'm new so go easy on me guys!

smrivera80

Reaction score
To my knowledge, there is not a non-cellular Android device on the market at this time; though, if there is, someone will be along to correct me. The closest thing to it that I've heard about is a tablet (more like the iPad) that Google is supposedly working on, which MAY run Android, but there's also speculation that it may be a Chrome device.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The old version of a "pocketable" PDA died about a decade ago with the inclusion of phone functionality in the same form factor. It's very unlikely to be revived. On the other hand, the "tablet" market is in flux and there are likely to be a variety of alternatives to the iPad within a few months. Some of those will be smaller than the iPad and might meet the OP's requirements.

OP
S

suedely

Reaction score
PDA was a poor word

The old version of a "pocketable" PDA died about a decade ago with the inclusion of phone functionality in the same form factor. It's very unlikely to be revived. On the other hand, the "tablet" market is in flux and there are likely to be a variety of alternatives to the iPad within a few months. Some of those will be smaller than the iPad and might meet the OP's requirements.

I know the term PDA is old school, but it was the best I could come up with. I've carried 2 cell phones before and I hate to pay for a personal phone when I don't need to. However I need unrestricted access to the net, which my company blocks and I would like to use the device as a music player.

I've played with the iPad and I've got to be honest I love it. However it is a little big in my opinion. I also need to be able to hop on a wireless network very inconspiculously at work to check my personal email and an iPad would be very inconspicuous.

Like I said a used android phone that I can boot without the SIM might be a viable option, but that is why I joined this forum to ask what yall suggest.

If I don't get any good suggestions, I'll probably just go buy a refurbed ipod touch 8gb for $170.

sockmess

Reaction score
There's bound to be a tablet out there right now (yes tablets exisited before thee "I" entered) that will fit your size critera. You might have to use a styluis though. If not that look at some pocket pcs. I think most of them uses compact flash for additonal storage. Of course your going to have to find them used or be extremely lucky

jkayner

Reaction score
take a look at ARCHOS they have tablets that are mainly MP3 devices, but some run android.