Droid4 Global / Hoffa's body / Grassy knoll / Bigfoot

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Well, the D4 is official -- no mention of globality...

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

TC_Mits

Reaction score
D4 is global: check GSM / WCDMA (EU bands) support here: MOTODEV > Products > DROID 4 by Motorola, XT894

Seems like there will be EU version too. As "Droid RAZR" and "RAZR" hardware is identical, only the international version has flexed off LTE and CDMA.

It has global hardware, yes, which will be disabled by vzw. The D4 will not function as a 'world phone'. But, like it was with the D2, look for a global version, the D4G, maybe in Q2.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
So the droid4's global capabilities have officially become a legendary myth in my book. We all know the facts, fully gsm capable (from the FCC filing) microsim slot confirmed from leaked source pics with the back cover off, and yet...

Not ONE thing from Verizon on ANY literature, advertising or whatsoever using the term "global" or global capable". Even going as far as to specifically put a big N for NO under the global option box in it's leaked internal big red system feature list.

Now that pretty much all the official ads and specs ave been leaked (all straight from Verizon). Not one of them mentions global anywhere, even the new one leaked from droiddoes today listing every possible future on the phone. Why would they take the time to list every possible selling point they can think of and leave out such a huge one?

I'm seriously starting to think it is not global capable, although the specs would say otherwise... Thoughts?

Thoughts are the Droid 4 MAXX will be global capable just like they did with the D2 and D2Global. Bump up a few specs, in this case, better battery and global capability and you have a repeat of history (more or less).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Thoughts are the Droid 4 MAXX will be global capable just like they did with the D2 and D2Global. Bump up a few specs, in this case, better battery and global capability and you have a repeat of history (more or less).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

No...the Droid 4 will be global when Verizon unlocks that capability on the phone later in the year

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
No...the Droid 4 will be global when Verizon unlocks that capability on the phone later in the year

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Well that is what I'm HOPING as far as them unlocking the feature. It just seems odd they are not announcing it officially as a global phone. Sure it has the radios for it, but why are they locked? I can think of two reasons for this. First is they may be having problems with the radios. Maybe GSM, CDMA, LTE, Wifi, Bluetooth is just getting to be a lot of radios to get everyone to work together nicely. Second; maybe they don't WANT to activate that feature as they can add a new selling point to the possible D4 MAXX that they may know about. I have the D2 Global now, and really don't travel out of country so the point is somewhat wasted on me, but I am planning a trip to Australia sometime late this year and it'd be nice to use the same phone (VZ rates and all... :( )

I really am leaning towards them releasing a MAXX version of the Droid 4, or a Droid 4 Global - whatever someone wants to call something that isn't even named yet. It takes a long time to develop a phone, so whatever successor to the D4 that will eventually come out *IS* is some stage of development now. Maybe they won't come out with a Maxx version, but then the D5 is somewhere in the development pipeline. Whether that is planning, diagrams, mock up cases, or partially working prototypes, trust me, its being worked on. The question is; is it a version of the D4 with slightly better specs or a completely new D5? How far along is it? I stated in another post that my friend worked (past tense) for Motorola. He got to beta tests phones well before they came out. As an example he had a Droid X months before it came out. I still believe strongly that there is a Droid 4 Maxx (or whatever you want to call it - a beefed up D4 not a D5) in the works. The only thing working against my theory is usually someone will get a spy shot of a phone like that. If would have been easy enough for my friend to take a shot of his Droid X well before it was announced but he didn't feel like risking loosing his job. Yet there are people out there that do that all the time. If I were a beta tester I wouldn't be posting shots of the phone because I'd want to keep my beta tester status (and job), but we see these shots all the times. The only rumors I've seen on a D4 Maxx type phone has been in forums like this. So that is working against my theory... still.. I just find it odd they did this. By "This" I mean a 4G phone with a qHD LCD display (power hog) and a non-replaceable battery. For what? Oversight? Thinking people won't care? I read another poster pointing out the awkward keyboard layout and the lack of a dedicated @ symbol - which seems stupid too. So maybe it *is* just oversight and they didn't plan that well on what users (or us geeks) WANT on a phone like this. Unfortunately there is not going to be an answer to this. My friend no longer works for Motorola and he said he will talk to people there "when he gets a chance" to see if there is a D4 Maxx-ish phone in the works. Knowing him - that means never :D lol

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I don't know if I would wait or count on a Maxx or separate global phone. Moto said they were going to slow production. So maybe that's part of the delay off the D4, to make sure it could be global one day.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
I don't know if I would wait or count on a Maxx or separate global phone. Moto said they were going to slow production. So maybe that's part of the delay off the D4, to make sure it could be global one day.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

Now THIS is interesting. I haven't heard that before. Either way I'm pulling the trigger on the currently announced D4 and not waiting either. But this is some very interesting information. Did they announce this with their reported losses?

debdroid1a

Reaction score