Error transfering files

mikecox

Reaction score
I plugged my Gnexus into my computer, selected MTP, located it as a drive and tried to drag mp3 files from my C: drive, to the Gnexus Music folder and got an error; as seen in this attachment

View attachment 62566

This phone is on, and the screen is unlocked and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :icon_ cry:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would try moving them to the root, then using a file manager to transfer them to the music folder. Or create a new folder off the root and try moving them there first.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Weird behavior

I would try moving them to the root, then using a file manager to transfer them to the music folder. Or create a new folder off the root and try moving them there first.
Hmmm, not sure I follow.

Why wouldn't the folders behave like all folders do, why would it make a difference where it was? The Galaxy displays as Computer; Galaxy Nexus\Internal storage Are you saying to create a folder in Galaxy Nexus? But it's a moot point because it won't let me add a folder in either place.

I don't understand why, when I plug this phone into my computer it doesn't behave like my Droid X. I was able to add folders and move files without any difficulty with that phone.

There is a Ringtone folder on this phone, but it's empty; where are the ringtones saved that are on this phone; so I can add more? I found a ringtone in the "Notifications" folder and, thinking it was out of place I deleted it. Then I thought better of it; maybe it's what sounds when there is a notification, so I went to my Recycle Bin to recover it and it wasn't there :blink: It was called something like "Hanging in there..."

I also found 2 empty folders in the Music folder; the ones that wouldn't transfer! It seems the folders transferred sometime later; when I wasn't looking, but they were both empty. :blink:

When the Verizon tech copied my pictures to the Nexus hundreds copied over; mostly album covers. Great, I have all those album covers but I can't copy the music over and, if I could, would the pictures connect???

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
The /Ringtones , /Notifications , /Alarms folders on your sdcard (which is what you are seeing when you plug your device into your PC) are for custom sounds. So say you want to wake up to the sound of a fog horn, then you could put foghorn.mp3 (or whatever) into the /Alarms folder, and you should be able to set it. Same with notifications and ringtones. The stock ringtones, alarms, and notifications are on the /system partition of the device, which you can't touch unless you are rooted. It is in the /system/media/* folder to be specific .

Now for the main problem, I have a few things to try.
- Are you using the stock USB cable? I have seen folks have limited success with some other cables.
- Have you tried a different USB port on your PC, preferably a rear USB port if on a desktop? Sometimes front panel ports, or ports on a hub can cause some quirkiness in things.
- Do you have another PC you could try to transfer something? Just a random picture or song.

If you have access to wifi, you could use something like Airdroid to transfer files. This is actually my preferred method, as it tends to be quicker for larger transfers in my tests. Although, this is just something you can do until we can figure out why your phone and PC aren't cooperating.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend AirDroid or WiFi File Transfer.

The reason I made the suggestion of where to transfer the files is because I have read other reports of the same or a similar problem with certain files or file extensions and my suggestion worked. But that may NOT be your problem.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Thanks for all these suggestions

The /Ringtones , /Notifications , /Alarms folders on your sdcard
Hmm, what you say makes sense but it's confusing because when bought the Galaxy I asked about moving my SD card onto it and was told it didn't have an SD card.
you could put foghorn.mp3 (or whatever) into the /Alarms folder, and you should be able to set it. Same with notifications and ringtones. The stock ringtones, alarms, and notifications are on the /system partition of the device, which you can't touch unless you are rooted. It is in the /system/media/* folder to be specific.
Ok. I'm told the Nexus is really easy to root and I plan to root it as soon as I get it set up; and get my music, and other data files moved over.
- Are you using the stock USB cable?
Yes, the one that came with the phone.
Have you tried a different USB port on your PC, preferably a rear USB port if on a desktop?
I"ll give that a try, right now I'm having some success.

I went to the store where I bought the phone and was told in order to make file management work I needed to turn on Developer options and check "Stay Awake" and "Allow mock locations". That, for the most part, has fixed the problem, but is very squirrely. Everything seemed to going smoothing, until suddenly, I get that error again.

On the Droid the Music folder was in the Media folder and it wouldn't copy. I tried moving the Music folder to the root then tried again. It looked like it was copying but then it stopped. It only copied 2 folders; and they turned out to be empty. I tried copying files to the open music folder but that failed, then I renamed the Music folder on the Droid and dragged it over and finally it moved.

My PDF folder copied right off, the first time, but when I tried to copy 'My cookbook" the error popped up again "...device stopped or disconnected". The odd thing is it copied the folder; but like those two music folders I mentioned earlier, it was empty. So I opened it, and opened the one on the Droid and dragged all the files across. That worked :blink:

I don't get it, but eventually, after being interrupted a number of times by that error I got them all moved over. I think it's safe to say it's not the cable or the port. I probably should have tried another port but I was on a roll. It should be noted that several times I turned the phone off and restarted from scratch; it's like the phone went to sleep! But the screen was still on.

Do you have another PC you could try to transfer something? Just a random picture or song.
Oh, good idea, hadn't thought of that; I'll give that a try next time.

If you have access to wifi,
Yes, my two computers are on a home network.

you could use something like Airdroid to transfer files.
Now that sounds like a winner. I always hate to plug my phone into the computer; I'm always afraid I'll get tangled up in the wire and drag my phone to the floor :icon_eek: It's funny, I just noticed an Airdroid file on my droid; I must have been going to try it once; but the cable worked so I never did. Will it work if I drag it to my Nexus, or do I have to dl it?

Thanks again for all these suggestions :hail:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Hmm, what you say makes sense but it's confusing because when bought the Galaxy I asked about moving my SD card onto it and was told it didn't have an SD card.

The galaxy Nexus doesn't have a removable sdcard, but it still has an sdcard. Well a virtual sdcard. By that I mean the sdcard is actually a symlink to /data/media . But it behaves as if it has an sdcard. I can go into more details if this doesn't make sense, or you want more info.

Ok. I'm told the Nexus is really easy to root and I plan to root it as soon as I get it set up; and get my music, and other data files moved over.

It is fairly easy to root. If you were wanting to root it, you may want to do it sooner rather than later. As you will have to unlock the bootloader to root it, and doing that wipes the device completely. You can make backups, and restore things though so it really doesn't matter either way. Just giving the heads up that everything will be deleted in this process.

Now that sounds like a winner. I always hate to plug my phone into the computer; I'm always afraid I'll get tangled up in the wire and drag my phone to the floor :icon_eek: It's funny, I just noticed an Airdroid file on my droid; I must have been going to try it once; but the cable worked so I never did. Will it work if I drag it to my Nexus, or do I have to dl it?

Thanks again for all these suggestions :hail:

For Airdroid to work, you need to install the app. It is free in the market. Once you run the app on your phone it will tell you what to do.

Glad you got the files transferred, even though you really haven't solved the problem haha. Still at least a semi-happy ending.DancingNexus

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
The galaxy Nexus doesn't have a removable sdcard, but it still has an sdcard. Well a virtual sdcard. By that I mean the sdcard is actually a symlink to /data/media . But it behaves as if it has an sdcard. I can go into more details if this doesn't make sense, or you want more info.
I'll take your word for it, it's probably tmi for me right now.

You can make backups, and restore things though so it really doesn't matter either way. Just giving the heads up that everything will be deleted in this process.
Hmm, that makes me nervous. If I copy all the fines to my computer would just moving them back work to get back to where I was, or is there a backup app that I would need to run? I would definitely want the option to return to the setup I had before I started.

For Airdroid to work, you need to install the app. It is free in the market. Once you run the app on your phone it will tell you what to do.

When I copied my data over to the Gnet I copied the Airdroid folder; with the exe file, etc. Since i reinstalled all my apps, etc I chewed through my data allowance, so can't dl anything until my billing date on the 9th. Is there a way to get it running from withing the file?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Hmm, that makes me nervous. If I copy all the fines to my computer would just moving them back work to get back to where I was, or is there a backup app that I would need to run? I would definitely want the option to return to the setup I had before I started.

To backup and restore your sdcard contents, that method would be fine. Your apps and some settings can be synchronized with your google account and will be restored upon signing back in post wipe. I see below you experienced this when you got his device, and your monthly allowance in the process. Most if not all market apps' settings and saved stuff (scores in games for example) likely won't be restored.

adb backup and adb restore can backup and restore that stuff, as well as the apps making it so you don't have to redownload anything. Note that may look quite complicated, it really isn't that bad. That is just a kinda in depth look at it. There is an app called Helium that uses adb backup/adb restore that may potentially make things a little easier. I have no experience with Helium, but I have heard good things.

When I copied my data over to the Gnet I copied the Airdroid folder; with the exe file, etc. Since i reinstalled all my apps, etc I chewed through my data allowance, so can't dl anything until my billing date on the 9th. Is there a way to get it running from withing the file?

I am not exactly sure what Airdroid folder you are copying. Android uses .apks which is the app's install package, .exe won't work on Android. Also, there is nothing PC side for Airdroid to install, so there should be no .exe to begin with. Airdroid is purely web based on the PC side. If you do have the airdroid.apk on your phone somehow, you could install it. The easiest way would be with a file explorer (which you would need to grab from the market...which brings us back to another problem). You could use adb to achieve this, which wouldn't require your phone to download anything.

Last edited: