Facebook is Making Some Employees Switch to Android to Better Understand Emerging Markets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chriscox.jpg

Apparently, Facebook employees typically pick an iPhone over an Android, but some of them will be forced to buck that trend soon. Facebook's chief product officer Chris Cox is making some of his team switch to Android phones.

It's not because he is biased toward one company over another, it's because he wants his developers to better understand how users in emerging markets experience Facebook. In places like India, China and other Asian markets, Android dominates the landscape because of its affordability over iOS devices. Globally, Android OS devices still make up over 80% of the smartphone industry. Cox simply wants his team to be on a level playing field of experience with those markets to help with Facebook's goal of ruling the world.

In a recent interview with Wired magazine, Cox said, "I am mandating a switch of a whole bunch of my team over to Android, just because people, when left up to their own devices, will often prefer an iPhone." This is "so that they can be reporting bugs and living in the same experience that most Facebook users experience today."

Makes sense. What do you folks think of his choice as a team leader? How would you feel if your boss forced you to use the iPhone for work?

Thanks for the tip, @CJM!

Source: independant.co.uk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
iPhone and ipad for work here. It took some getting used to and it's still a pita moving files around

Tapped from an iPhone 6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When my boss offered me a smart phone in February he gave me the choice of an iPhone or an Android (it's an older Samsung Note 2...but still an Android). I obviously chose the Android phone. Many people that I work with that do have company phones have iPhones though. If they force me to use an iPhone I will deal with it, but may not be happy about it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I love how it sounds like the US is just an iOS covered market. Though it does make sense on how terrible the Facebook app for Android tends to sound. I don't use FB anymore but from what my wife says, its a crappy app.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If my boss said use this and they're paying for it, I'd use it, but most likely only for work. There would be a benefit, in that at night and on the weekends it would be sitting at home while my personal device is with me. So no calls, texts, emails etc from work or customers (wife wouldn't be upset).

I don't Facebook a lot, but I can tell you I prefer the browser. The App suuucks and always has!!!! Tried it recently and crashes when looking at pictures.