Format DX?

valid

Reaction score
Does an sbf install wipe everything from the phone that was there before the sbf install? Thanks

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The SBF itself doesn't wipe any user data. If you are on 605 and SBF with the 605 file then you shouldn't have to wipe data unless there was a problem before hand. If you SBF with a different version than you are on or SBF to get off a ROM you will have to wipe data in stock recovery before the phone will boot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

clueless77

Reaction score
Does an sbf install wipe everything from the phone that was there before the sbf install? Thanks
Long and short of an sbf is that it returns your phone back to completely stock as it was when it came out of the box. It has to be activated and everything as if you just bought it.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Long and short of an sbf is that it returns your phone back to completely stock as it was when it came out of the box. It has to be activated and everything as if you just bought it.

^thats not true unless you wipe data which will be required if using a different system version or SBFing from a ROM.

Last edited:

clueless77

Reaction score
^thats not true unless you wipe data.

Well actually you have to re activate if the sbf you do replaces the radio, if you use one of many Linux cd methods that don't overwrite the radio then no you don't have to reactivate. You don't always have to wipe data in stock recovery after an sbf. Even still a data wipe or factory reset only removes apps that were user installed. I personally have sbf'd my DX more times than I care to think about. sbf takes the phone back to out of the box stock for whichever Android version you ran the sbf for i.e. froyo or gingerbread

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I have too.. that's why i said if you use a SBF file for the version you are already on you wouldn't have to reactivate.

clueless77

Reaction score
I have too.. that's why i said if you use a SBF file for the version you are already on you wouldn't have to reactivate.

Personally after using the Linux method I'd never use rsdlite again. But I'm not even going to do anything to softbrick anymore. I'm just waiting for my upgrade to SGS3 :)

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well actually you have to re activate if the sbf you do replaces the radio, if you use one of many Linux cd methods that don't overwrite the radio then no you don't have to reactivate. You don't always have to wipe data in stock recovery after an sbf. Even still a data wipe or factory reset only removes apps that were user installed. I personally have sbf'd my DX more times than I care to think about. sbf takes the phone back to out of the box stock for whichever Android version you ran the sbf for i.e. froyo or gingerbread

Cliff is correct... It does not wipe the user partition.. So that way if your stock and take it into a store it won't touch your personal data... And a wipe is required if coming from a custom rom.. Because they'll handle the /data partition differently... Ya it does over write the baseband which will usually result in having to reactivate the device... And it doesn't take you to what you were before the sbf... It takes you to what ever version the sbf file is...

Cellar Door

"Who are you people and where is my horse?"

clueless77

Reaction score
Cliff is correct... It does not wipe the user partition.. So that way if your stock and take it into a store it won't touch your personal data... And a wipe is required if coming from a custom rom.. Because they'll handle the /data partition differently... Ya it does over write the baseband which will usually result in having to reactivate the device... And it doesn't take you to what you were before the sbf... It takes you to what ever version the sbf file is...

Cellar Door

"Who are you people and where is my horse?"

I don't think the OP was completely familiar with all that's involved, I was just giving an in general perspective on the subject. I apologize if my post was taken the wrong way.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think the OP was completely familiar with all that's involved, I was just giving an in general perspective on the subject. I apologize if my post was taken the wrong way.

it's all good... i was just clearing the air and straightening up some confusion... :D