Galaxy Nexus storage mount options question ..... synctoy

zero7404

Reaction score
i use synctoy on my pc to backup files, up till the g-nex i've never had a problem using it. but this MTP protocol that the g-nex uses doesn't allow me to choose the internal storage folder as a folder pair in synctoy.

is there another way to manually mount the sdcard folder on the phone ? else i would have to do a manual copy/paste in windows ....

cellphonedork

Reaction score
Do you have wifi where you are using sync toy?

I use Samba Filesharing Lets you mount your phone SDCard as a shared network drive. I never plug in my phone to move or delete files. Also use Syncback Pro instead of synctoy, but that is just my preference. You could also use dropsync with dropbox and wifi to do about the same thing. I use both as I have to have latest data files with me all the time, but other stuff, including new roms or TiBu backups can wait and sync over my network.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
that looks interesting ... if i can access it as a network drive then i can likely use synctoy with it.

only bummer will be the first sync because it will be 17-18GB over wifi -- would take more than a few hours.

posted via android ....

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
samba filesharing worked as indicated. it synced less than 1 GB because I had the contents of the sd card already in the sync location i chose on my pc .... guess how long it took to do that ? -- 5 hrs !

ridiculous - crazy amount of time to spend just to sync my data incrementally .... will be using usb cable from here on, wifi file transfer is always much slower.

Last edited:
OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
i looked into the backup i did with samba and synctoy, found that i transferred quite a few GB, that's why it took so long ....

i'm going to continue using samba in order to run echo backups with synctoy, but the app doesn't always work right .... it hangs a lot and i get prompted to close it or wait.

also doesn't update the screen when it's enabled and running, i can see the network map and access it in windows explorer, but the main screen on the phone says "Enabled - Not Running" .... i've only seen it show the name, ip, etc. a few times out of the 3-4 times i've connected it to my network so far ....

is the app buggy or is there something else i'm missing. .... it works fine when connected and no force close prompts, but that doesn't happen often, i have to try it a few times.