Getting Conflicting Upgrade Information from VZW...

Dunc

Reaction score
I've been read many threads on here, but most of them are a little older so that's why I'm making this one.

I have a chat log from yesterday when I was looking into upgrading (and I have unlimited data right now) and the rep assured me that if I upgraded on a different line on the account then used that new phone on my unlimited line that it would absolutely not impact my unlimited plan. Can anyone verify this still because when I went to the store they said the chat people don't know what they're talking about and that I would indeed lose my unlimited.

That brings me to this question: if I upgrade on another line then that line decides they don't want the phone and they give it to me then how it that any different than if I go out and buy the phone outright myself? Is the unlimited plan associated with the SIM card at all? If so, I already have a SIM from my current device, couldn't I just insert that into the new phone and be double assured that nothing would happen? I think the people in the store were not being truthful because it just doesn't make sense why I couldn't upgrade on a different line on the account then just transfer that phone over to my unlimited line. Plus doing it that way is in agreement with everything else I've read online. That's no different in my eyes than buying on Amazon outright....either way once I pay for the phone it's mine to do as I please with isn't it whether that's selling to someone else (me) or running it over with a car?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
As far as I know, you will lose your existing unlimited plan. Can't help with the sim swap. I don't know if VZW will catch it or not.

OP
Dunc

Dunc

Reaction score
As far as I know, you will lose your existing unlimited plan. Can't help with the sim swap. I don't know if VZW will catch it or not.
I guess my question would be then, what's the difference between someone selling me their upgraded phone because they don't like it vs. me buying on Amazon outright? Because buying outright means I keep the unlimited. Either way it's equipment that I bought and I'm bringing it to my line right?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If you buy it outright you will keep your existing plan.

deadernie

Reaction score
I think the OP is talking about getting a phone at new contract price and then swapping the new phone to their existing line. If that's the case you'll keep your unlimited data on your current line.

I did this the last time I had to get a phone. I also did it in a Verizon store. The drawback is your paying for an extra line you aren't using.

OP
Dunc

Dunc

Reaction score
I think the OP is talking about getting a phone at new contract price and then swapping the new phone to their existing line. If that's the case you'll keep your unlimited data on your current line.

I did this the last time I had to get a phone. I also did it in a Verizon store. The drawback is your paying for an extra line you aren't using.
That is exactly what I mean. The one store was saying that wasn't possible when the online chat rep said it absolutely is possible. I agree with the online rep because once the phone is in my hands then I sell or move that "equipment" as I see fit and equipment <> plan.

There isn't really a drawback for me though in terms of paying extra because our account has 5 phones on it. Mine is unlimited, 3 tiered 2GB plans, and one basic phone. I would transfer my upgrade to the 2GB tiered line upgrade on that line and then just not activate the phone on that line. That person "would not like the phone" and give it to me and they'd keep the original phone. Then I have a phone that I can do what I please with.....as in move it to my line.

jspradling7

Reaction score
With Verizon, your "line" is the Sim Card. They don't give a hoot what phone you put it in. I took my unlimted Sim and put it in a Droid Charge, GNex, Rezound, RAZR Maxx, RAZR Maxx HD, DNA, S3, S4, G2, and a Note 2. Some of these phones were bought using upgrades on other lines, some were bought privately, Verizon doesn't care. Their computers do notice that you've put the card in a different device and even change their website to show you what phone you currently have your Sim in. As long as you don't change your phone number on your unlimited account or use an upgrade on that number you can put that card in anything you want to that will talk to Verizon's towers.

dasanman69

Reaction score
I've been read many threads on here, but most of them are a little older so that's why I'm making this one.

I have a chat log from yesterday when I was looking into upgrading (and I have unlimited data right now) and the rep assured me that if I upgraded on a different line on the account then used that new phone on my unlimited line that it would absolutely not impact my unlimited plan. Can anyone verify this still because when I went to the store they said the chat people don't know what they're talking about and that I would indeed lose my unlimited.

That brings me to this question: if I upgrade on another line then that line decides they don't want the phone and they give it to me then how it that any different than if I go out and buy the phone outright myself? Is the unlimited plan associated with the SIM card at all? If so, I already have a SIM from my current device, couldn't I just insert that into the new phone and be double assured that nothing would happen? I think the people in the store were not being truthful because it just doesn't make sense why I couldn't upgrade on a different line on the account then just transfer that phone over to my unlimited line. Plus doing it that way is in agreement with everything else I've read online. That's no different in my eyes than buying on Amazon outright....either way once I pay for the phone it's mine to do as I please with isn't it whether that's selling to someone else (me) or running it over with a car?

If you upgrade another line, you can definitely then transfer the new phone to a unlimited account without losing it. My friend has done it several times.

mjustus

Reaction score
When you upgrade does that mean the phone is free or do you still have to buy it? If so, what's the point in offering an upgrade?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You can definitely use another line ...preferably a dumb phone as I've used b4...you activate the phone on the dumb line for a minute then move it to the unlimited line ...now you get the phone at the subsidized price without going full retail ...keep in mind you are now setting up new 2yr contract on the upgraded line ..

N3 tap