Global data roaming

yastern

Reaction score
I'm in Australia. I bought an Australian Vodaphone sim card for my unlocked D3. Calling works fine. I also purchased a small data plan, but I can't get that to work: no browser, email etc. I think I did everything to allow data. Any advice?

lutrasimilis

Reaction score
I had the same problem in UK (UK Vodafone). It took me several hours online to find the solution. You need to manually set the APN (whatever that means). Verizon's default is not compatible with foreign SIM card's data settings. I just google "australia vadafone apn" and find this:

Modem Setup Instructions - Mobile Broadband - Vodafone Australia

On your phone, go to Settings/Wireless & network/Mobile networks/Access point names (you need to change mode to GSM/UMTS first). There, you should see a locked Verizon (or your provider) APN. Click menu button and add new APN. Try the parameters said in the above page.

That's how it worked for me in UK (with different settings for UK Vodafone, of course).

Good lucks!

sataniceaden

Reaction score
Hi Yanstern
i am also in aus and with vodafone
to setup the phone you dont have to do it manually
go here
Mobile & PDA Setup - Help & Support - Vodafone Australia
select either the D2 or the droid Pro
you will then receive a setup sms

you should do all of the setups apart from email

i had issues only running the net one because sometimes it wouldn't connect
but if you only want browser and no apps use net
if you want apps and browser use net and wap

OP
Y

yastern

Reaction score
solution

Thanks for the help. In the end I had a Vodafone rep set it up for me. He said that the person who sold me the sim card at the airport should have done it. The phone was a pleasure and with careful monitoring of data use a $20 international plan lasted 10 days.