HDMI out support?

drush242

Reaction score
Hey All,

Anyone have any thoughts to how to use HDMI out? EDIT: See edit below.

I have the correct cable, and the TV shows the circular Motorola "M" logo on its screen, but nothing from the phone will show up on the TV.

No, nothing is DRM'ed, I've tried MX Video, and that shows it great, on the phone, but nothing to the TV. This: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...a_id/76073/~/how-do-i-use-hdmi-on-my-droid-4? was worthless.

EDIT: OK, it was something I froze with Ti Backup. So I unfroze everything. Better question: does anyone know which app I froze that wouldn't let the choice come up when I plugged in the micro-HDMI cable? I'd rather not wade through them all testing them.

Thanks in advance.

Cordially, Rush

OP
D

drush242

Reaction score
Follow up

Just for those that may not know: When you plug a cable into the HDMI port, the phone should automatically ask you what you want to do as far as HDMI. When I first tried HDMI, I had already frozen lots of things with TiBackup, so I was unaware of this function.

I hope this helps anyone in the same position.

gunner8168

Reaction score
It could be a number of things im not rooted and I know to get my hdmi out to work I have to open my gallery and then tap the little hdmi icon for it to connect and allow me to play videos that I've taken with my phone now it also depends on what app ur trying to use hdmi with some apps are hard coded to not allow hdmi output

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gunner8168

Reaction score
I would definitely not recommend freezing any motobur elements as with my experience you tend to run into problems like this DLNA and the media share should definitely be left un frozen

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

obogobo

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Unfreeze everything related to Webtop and if still nothing try Motorola Dock Service

djk_dnb

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone,

As a rooted user, I just thought I'd take a minute to confirm that you must take care not to freeze any apps even remotely related to the webtop, the hdmi, mirroring, etc. It was driving me insane that I couldn't get mine to work at first. This thread is what saved me from throwing my phone against the wall, so thank you, drush242, for solving my issue! After a while, it's easy to forget what we may have frozen, much less associate a freeze with any current problems we may be having. In Titanium Backup, any frozen items will be highlighted by a blue box.

For what it's worth, at one point, especially after hearing about all the trouble people have been having with the HDMI outs on Android devices, that perhaps Motorola wasn't providing a true, "standard" HDMI port on their devices. My thought was that perhaps they had reconfigured the pin arrangement on the handsets so that non-motorola cables wouldn't work. First, the non-removable battery, and now a proprietary video out port?! Did I just buy a f***ing Crapple product?! I was beginning to get very irate about this, that is, until I read this post and promptly said, "duh".

So, just know that the HDMI port is a REAL, non-proprietary port and that any micro-to-standard cable should work. I got mine on Amazon for about $4.00 because paying another $26.00 for the Motorola branding is nothing but a waste of money.

OP
D

drush242

Reaction score
Don't Freeze Motorola Dock Service

Another point, if you freeze Motorola Dock Service the 'Droid 4 won't ask you if you want to use the HDMI output either.

I hope this helps anyone else who gets tied up with this.