Help - Using a DROID 4 in Canada..

hanstoppable

Reaction score
Hey forum,

Just wanted to see if you guys could help me out!

After checking out some of the youtube reviews of the Droid 4 I decided to go and buy one new from ebay.

It's on it's way up here to Toronto, but I was wondering if you guys could clarify how I could set up my DROID 4 onto my network here in Canada (Rogers Wireless)..

So-

From chatting with a lady from Motorola support, I understand that the 'ICS' upgrade can be downloaded with a wifi connection only (ie without a valid sim card installed), and she suggested that I download the ICS upgrade through wifi and then try installing a microSim card from Rogers..

Is she correct? Is that all I would need to set up? She also mentioned that I might need to unlock the phone before using it..

Does anybody else have any experience with this? :blink:

Danis

Reaction score
Hey forum,

Just wanted to see if you guys could help me out!

After checking out some of the youtube reviews of the Droid 4 I decided to go and buy one new from ebay.

It's on it's way up here to Toronto, but I was wondering if you guys could clarify how I could set up my DROID 4 onto my network here in Canada (Rogers Wireless)..

So-

From chatting with a lady from Motorola support, I understand that the 'ICS' upgrade can be downloaded with a wifi connection only (ie without a valid sim card installed), and she suggested that I download the ICS upgrade through wifi and then try installing a microSim card from Rogers..

Is she correct? Is that all I would need to set up? She also mentioned that I might need to unlock the phone before using it..

Does anybody else have any experience with this? :blink:

Which part of Toronto are you in? I'm up in North York. My Droid4 has been working great on rogers for a few months, although I have had to tweak it a bit
Since we're not really sure if your phone is "stock" or not, so it's probably best for you to fastboot the phone back to stock (this will save a lot of time in the future) :
Before beginning this process, make sure the phone is FULLY CHARGED
How to get onto ICS, the most reliable way:
1) Download Motorola USB Drivers & Install them - https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481
2) Download RSDLite 5.7 & Install it - http://www.mediafire.com/?6etxwm905jros97
3) Download the Droid 4 ICS fastboot file - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/VRZ_XT894_6.7.2-180_DR4-16_M2-37_1FF.xml.zip and extract it
4) Power off the phone, and then hold vol- and vol+ simultaniously and press the power button. Use the vol- button to select "fastboot"
5) Run RSDLite and open the xml file that was downloaded, plug in the phone, then press the start button. Ignore any warnings and wait for the process to finish (might take 20-30 min max)
Now it's time for the fun Rogers specific stuff
1) Root the phone - http://theunlockr.com/2012/06/26/how-to-root-the-motorola-droid-4-xt894-running-android-4-0-4/
2) Install the following software on the phone - SuperUser (free), BusyBox (doesn't matter which one, I just use the free one), Root Explorer (optional but makes it much easier to work on the phone) (Pay) and SQLite Editor (Pay) (required to modify a couple of things for Wireless Tethering)
3) Open Root Explorer and go into /system/app folder, press the "mount r/w" button and rename the following files to .2 :
- VzwPhoneService.apk
- VzwPhoneService.odex
- VzwController.apk
- VzwController.odex
- VzwDeviceSetup.apk
- VzwDeviceSetup.odex
- VzwEntitlementService.apk
- VzwEntitlementService.odex
- vzwapnpermission.apk
4) Copy the build.prop using Root explorer to build.prop.2 and edit the build.prop in a text editor with the following changes:
ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 0
ro.cdma.home.operator.isnan = 0
ro.mot.lte_on_cdma = 0
ro.cdma.subscription = 0
ro.mot.phonemode.vzw4gphone=0
Save the file an exit, always keep build.prop.2 around just in case you ever need to roll back :)
5) Create the Rogers APN ( http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/put...ccount-and-paid-apps-now-available-in-canada/ )
MAKE SURE YOU SET AUTHENTICATION TYPE TO NONE (or else it won't work)
As well, APN type should be set to :
default,supl,mms
6) Using SQLite Editor, Phone/Messaging Storage -> telephony.db -> carriers -> Locate the last APN, scroll over to "type" then long press that field, chose "edit field" and add ",dun" (without the quotes).
7) Still using SQLite Editor, Navigate down to Settings Storage (the one with the hammer and wrench) and open it. Click Settings.db. Click Settings. Navigate to line #150 (Entitlement Check) and long press the box on the right with the number 1 in it. Click Edit Field and delete the number 1 and enter a zero. ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/208266-how-wi-fi-tether-droid-4-a.html )
8) Reboot the phone
9) If you see "Pay phone" appear on your phone when receiving incoming calls then you need to remove "Name display" from your rogers account (I have done the same thing). With Rogers, they have two call display features, name display and call display. Call display shows the number, and name display does a lookup from their phone book. Unless you have the rogers radio code running on your device (which I can assure that you don't), the phone won't be able to interpret the contact who is calling properly. Calling up Rogers and removing name display resolves the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OP
H

hanstoppable

Reaction score
Whoa -

I thought that I could just download ICS as soon as I connected through wifi and pop in my micro-sim card.

I guess there are a lot more steps involved.. is there no simpler method to getting this set up?

:eek:

OP
H

hanstoppable

Reaction score
from Thornhill myself..

Ahh I think I get it though.. I guess with your method I am able to get free wireless tethering - that would be pretty cool! Seems a bit overwhelming at first but I will give it a shot! Will keep you posted once my phone arrives in the mail!

Danis

Reaction score
from Thornhill myself..

Ahh I think I get it though.. I guess with your method I am able to get free wireless tethering - that would be pretty cool! Seems a bit overwhelming at first but I will give it a shot! Will keep you posted once my phone arrives in the mail!

Awesome! I actually went to Westmount CI ;) good luck, let me know how it goes.

Sent from my XT894 running ICS

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Man, this is intimidating, and makes me realize just how screwed I was when I was visiting Montreal. No amount of SIMCard swapping would've done me any good it seems. :p

kanuck

Reaction score
Thanks!

Wish I'd found this thread earlier! Was able to find the tethering and APN info, but it's nice to see all this in one place. I came now in search of a solution for sending MMS (SMS was fine, but MMS were undeliverable). Tried the changes you recommended, but lost my Internet access with you APN settings. After some playing, I came up with a combination of yours and mine that has both my Internet and MMS working. Yeah dancedroid ! For others in my shoes, here's what worked for me:

NAME
rogers
APN
internet.com
PROXY

PORT

USERNAME
wapuser1
PASSWORD
wap
SERVER

MMSC
http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS PROXY
MMS PORT
MCC
MNC
AUTHENTICATION TYPE
None
APN TYPE
default,supl,mms (other changes will add ,dun)
APN PROTOCOL
IPv4
BEARER

Hope that helps someone else!

OP
H

hanstoppable

Reaction score
Did anybody here update to Jellybean yet? Is it safe? haha...

kanuck

Reaction score
Did anybody here update to Jellybean yet? Is it safe? haha...

As mentioned above: yes I'm on JB, and tethering is broken.

It seems tethering is actually controlled by your provider now, to be more precise. In short, if you don't tether, or if your contract specifically allows you tethering, give it a shot. Not much of a difference, but Google Now can be nice.

If you like to tether whether or not your provider allows it, steer clear. At least until there's a workaround.

Good luck!

OP
H

hanstoppable

Reaction score
DROID MAXX in Canada? Rogers?

Hey everyone,

I still have my DROID4.. dropped it in a river recently though and after doing the 'rice-treatment' it is back to life! BUT - the battery life on my phone has been significantly reduced and I'm looking at some new phones.

I was speaking to a Verizon representative just now to see whether I'd be able to get the Droid MAXX off contract and have it sent to Canada. I was told that the phone would work, but when I asked about the LTE radio she told me that it would be on Verizon's 800MHz LTE radio.

Does anybody know how I would be able to find out if I'd be able to get the 800MHz LTE radio'd Droid MAXX working on Rogers? or any carrier?

How abotu the 700MHz auction that they would be having... would that change anything?