Help with ODIN to rollback radio

Mmm Anarchy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Samsung Note 3
I'm running stock unrooted NC4. Can I use odin to roll back to one of the radios that doesn't have xlte (band 4) enabled? Without rooting? Found an article on it but wanted to make sure 4.4.2 would work ok with an older radio.

Alternatively: If I can't use odin, how do i disable XLTE?

I basically just want to turn off AWS without rooting. Subquestion: when 4.4.4 is released, will I still be able to take the ota?

On a sidenote: WHY oh WHY does touchwiz restrict mobile network settings? Why can't I disable XLTE or force 3g if I want? It's literally just mobile data on/off. I know I'm nitpicking...my phone attempts to hold on to -103DB of XLTE in my room. Move deeper into my house and it drops back to 700mhz and I have -77db five bars of LTE (like i did before i stupidly updated) Sprint finally released 4.4.4..I'm betting they haven't added any of these functions and knowing Verizon I'll get 4.4.4 in 2025

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I would begin with a Factory Data Reset \ FDR to attempt to repair your radio settings! This should realign your radios and allow it to function properly! Verizon Recommend Completing this step twice for a true reset! ;)

Good LUCK! ;)

OP
M

Mmm Anarchy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Samsung Note 3
The radio is not malfunctioning. It is holding onto an XLTE signal that is borderline unusable. Once I move deper into my home, it will drop back to 700mhz. It probably wouldn't even try to connect to XLTE except I'm somewhat close to a tower. It's fine at work. That said, I did reset. I reset before I updated from MI9 and then after I updated to NC4. Note to self-read changelogs. I consider myself lucky as I don't have the issues I've seen others..falling back to 3G, 1X. I may just leave it as is.

I had wanted XLTE off altogether or ideally be able to switch it on and off as needed.

Edit: In any event, I downloaded the radio for MJ9 and a few others. I assume it's safe to use odin to flash these? Currently on 4.4.2 NC4.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I assume you have Verizon?? If you do...use the software assistant on your computer, and use the repair mode to fix your software. That will definitely solve your issues I believe

OP
M

Mmm Anarchy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Samsung Note 3
Should've mentioned that. Yes, I do have Verizon. Thanks for replying by the way!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I've never had Verizon, but on my International Note 3 I can control the radio frequencies under Settings, Connections, More Networks, Mobile Networks, Network Modes.

OP
M

Mmm Anarchy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Samsung Note 3
I've never had Verizon, but on my International Note 3 I can control the radio frequencies under Settings, Connections, More Networks, Mobile Networks, Network Modes.
Really? Figured as much. Probably Verizon removing those options. How frustrating. All I have for control is LTE/CDMA or GSM/UTMS. I.E radio on/off lol

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You can try to use a different radio, but you may just lose your service all together and have to repair the phone again!
I spent 6 Months with Verizon and Samsung to fix my radio issues, they kept saying signal is good, but my issue was my data connection.
I completely reflashed and reset my phone multiple times, to no avail! Then I noticed something odd when I remembered to check this:

United states - NO ROAM

that is what I was provisioned as, once I called and had them change it, my service has been great!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I was reading a thread over on XDA about folks having issues with service after initially upgrading to Kitkat. It had something to do with the original batch of Note 3's hardware conflicting with the new radio software and most of their problems went away once they had the phones swapped out to a newer hardware revision. Apparently it was so prevalent that tier 2 knew immediately what they were talking about and issued newer phones right away.

I know that's not what you are shooting for here with the original post, but it may be something to think about.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes Ollie! There are allot of radio issues, seems the update package doesn't update the radios correctly. That is why I recommended that the OP reflash the device. And it will correct this for them.

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!

Last edited:
OP
M

Mmm Anarchy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Samsung Note 3
Bit late updating. I used ODIN to rollback the radio to MI9. I'm back to five bars (-77DB) of LTE at home. I lose XLTE, but until they address the issues with band 4 and going back to 700mhz indoors..that's fine. This may even be intentional to ease the load on their semi-overcrowded 700mhz band. With this configuration, I have a very strong signal nearly everywhere I go. Recently took a road trip up to VT and kept LTE in pretty much every town I visited. 3g/1x in rural areas. Coming from Sprint, which literally doesn't have a single tower in northern new england, I was very pleased.

I'm not sure this is quite the same issue other folks were having. I read lots and lots of posts about no service or dropping back to 1x..Wasn't quite what was happening. Just 2 bars of LTE then suddenly going up to five then back and forth. Phone was continuously switching from a strong 700mhz signal to band 4 which was very weak in my home. Voice calls. unaffected.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm not sure this is quite the same issue other folks were having. I read lots and lots of posts about no service or dropping back to 1x..Wasn't quite what was happening. Just 2 bars of LTE then suddenly going up to five then back and forth. Phone was continuously switching from a strong 700mhz signal to band 4 which was very weak in my home. Voice calls. unaffected.

Did you get the latest ota!?! Mine has been working much better since then radio wise. And i know there gonna be rolling out volte

OP
M

Mmm Anarchy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Samsung Note 3
I haven't. The last few left a horrible taste in my mouth. I'm not sure Verizon tests them beyond making sure it boots. How is it in terms of stability?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
There are a few minor hiccups...But nothing major! People have had issues with restarting and crashes..But it is all fixable! I am liking the improvements in radio signal thou! Steady data connections now