Not open for further replies.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
D

doiderg

Reaction score
You can't use wifi, you can't use 3g. You're just about out of options...

Is there a usb adapter/flash stick that can send wifi signals like a wireless router?

Windy31:
Eye-Fi Forums • View topic - Windy31 USB wireless access point

It apparently enables Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC and then acts as a wireless access point.

Micro Center - Synet Electronics Windy31 USB Wireless Network Card, Access Point, Router MW-P54SS

thanks for the info. it mit work.

The only things is, will i have to download some software on my work computer? or is it plug and play?
if i have to download software, it will be hard because the computers at work are set to guest and not administater that would allow me to install the software.

nerdkill

Reaction score
so you want to take your works internet (which is protected), convert it to a 3g connection, send that to your phone, then wirelessly tether that to an ipod touch so you can stream music? how am i the only one that things this is the craziest thing in the world ever?

you have only two options i can think of. 1. wireless extender (and that's your best bet). 2. (this is risky depending on how much trouble you can get into) take a laptop and plug in to a ethernet cable and see if you get an internet connection. if you do you can use it as an ad hoc network. at my work the network is protected, but only on internet explorer because that's all that's loaded on the restricted computers there. so i just connect using chrome and have full internet access. the only thing is that if i got caught my boss would just shake his head at me and ask me to stop.

the real question is why would you rather stream than listen to something stored? i just don't understand that. and why would you rather stream from an itouch than from your android device? i'm just so lost...

SGTiger

Reaction score
nerdkill: I think at this point he just wants to stream music via wifi to his Droid.

doiderg: LOL, you're asking the impossible short of hacking the computer. If you won't get into major trouble, you could boot up onto a password reset CD and reset the local admin password. If the computer is on a domain, after booting choose to login to the local computer instead of the domain and use the admin account. After installing the CD that came with the wireless access point. Reboot the computer and log back into the local computer or domain using your normal account.

Disclaimer: I do not recommending hacking a work computer.

Last edited:

SerenityNetworks

Reaction score
Has the workplace locked down the computer from streaming web sites or sources? If not then stream the music to the computer and use Bluetooth to send the sound to the phone for listening. I confess that I'm not in a place right now to test the idea, but I'm thinking it might work (assuming IT hasn't locked out streaming sites).

Good luck,
Andrew

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

born2golf

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of business you work for, but I'm in the IT Security business. If my firm was to do a security assessment on a business such as yours and we found evidence of ANY of the workarounds you are exploring here we would recommend termination. You are simply failing to see that your company's network exists for the explicit purpose of satisfying their business requirements. Not your entertainment.

Second to that, you have a legitimate source of music which is stored music on the phone itself. Given your situation, where you you claim there is no access to the internet in way for your phone and you could in fact play whatever stored music you want, continuing your plight simply means you are a spoiled brat.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of business you work for, but I'm in the IT Security business. If my firm was to do a security assessment on a business such as yours and we found evidence of ANY of the workarounds you are exploring here we would recommend termination. You are simply failing to see that your company's network exists for the explicit purpose of satisfying their business requirements. Not your entertainment.

Second to that, you have a legitimate source of music which is stored music on the phone itself. Given your situation, where you you claim there is no access to the internet in way for your phone and you could in fact play whatever stored music you want, continuing your plight simply means you are a spoiled brat.

As the owner of my company, I would be more than irritated if an employee tried to circumvent network security. However on the other hand, security assessment firms report security issues. If a security firm such as yours were to be so presumptuous as to try to tell me who I should or should not terminate, I would tell them to mind their own damn business. Security assessment firms are hired FOR ASSESSMENT, not to recommend what to do with employees who violate company policies.

SerenityNetworks

Reaction score
Name calling is not appropriate.

I'm surprised that an allowed Bluetooth connection would be a security risk. Network sharing, yes, but headphone type usage, I don't think so.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This thread is on alert that it is about to be closed. No name calling, lively discussion is fine, but don't get personal.

born2golf

Reaction score
That it where you are wrong. Much of our assessment work is in relation to some set of regulatory compliance framework for which we are certified to audit and remediate. The regulations could be mandated by local or federal law, or imposed by an industry governing body. Much of the remediation process is in regards to security policy. And much of that policy is how to handle breaches. This discussion, which may appear insignificant, is actually a very common way for some of the more severe corporate data losses to begin. So whether you want to believe it or not, my firm is quite often tasked with remediation work, and yes, those remediation recommendations may result in terminations. We work for some of the largest companies on the planet and I don't really care what you think an assessor should be doing because my clients and my invoices strongly disagree with you.

Therefore I standby my original post. This discussion is potentially unlawful and at the very least a breach in this users emploment agreement with their employer. Furthermore a legitimate way to play music exists so why are we even discussing this?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This discussion is potentially unlawful and at the very least a breach in this users emploment agreement with their employer. Furthermore a legitimate way to play music exists so why are we even discussing this?

I agree...and with that, thread closed.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Folks I think this discussion has reached the extend of being useful. Therefore, the thread is closed!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.