I am askign about my 3 options for phones Please help

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have the choice of the droid x/droid incredible/Droid 2

I currently have The original Droid

I have it rooted but my question is ....what would everyone here suggest for me I mean I am a tech guy I like exploring an all I see the droid x was recently rooted witch peaks my interest in that phone but would I be better off with droid 2 any news on the droid 2's bootloader ?

an the incredible looks like a cool phone but I like my physical keyboard but it is not the most important thing in the world to me...

Any help you all could suggest would be great thanks in advance

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How long have you had the droid for?

What I see in the Droid X that is appealing to me is that it has a bigger screen and it has video out. Not sure how much I'd use the video out, but I know I'd use the bigger screen. The size wouldn't be an issue. It also now has been rooted. But my droid is rooted, and has no blockage of the bootloader either.

For me, also a tech guy, I'm sticking it out. Sometime in the next year something will come out that offers more than a bigger screen and video out. I don't know what that "more" will be, but I bet its coming.

techguru

Reaction score
Here are some things to think about. All 3 have approximatly the same specs for performance. The X and the DINC have 8 megapixel cameras, and with an upcoming software update to the DINC, both can record 720P video. I believe the D2 will still be a 5 megapixel camera, but the camera on the D1 was quite good, so this may not be a big deal to you.

How much have you invested in accessories? (cases, holsters, spare batteries, car mount, home mount). All should be compatible with the D2, but you will need to start over with the DINC or DX.

Go to a store and handle the DX and DINC. The DINC is lighter and thinner than the Droid 1 (and 2), but it has crappy battery life, so you will at least want a spare, and probably an extended, which adds to the bulk somewhat. The screen is much sharper than the D1 but is probably about equivalent to what the D2 will have. The DX is REALLY big. Handle it for a while, hold it as if making a call. use the on screen keyboard (try out Swype). If it is comfortable in your hands, it has the best video playback even without the external video connection, but seriously, it is a BIG phone (although I think actually a little lighter weight than the D1). Battery life is similar to the D1. Not great, but better than the DINC. Unfortunately, uses a different battery than the D1, so you can't use your old one as a spare. If you get the D2, it probably (although not confirmed) will use the same battery as the D1, so you could have a spare without extra expense.

Obviously, if keyboard is important, than the D2 is your only choice.

The one other thing to keep in mind is that Motorola has said they plan to have 2 Ghz devices out before the end of the year, and Verizon is planning on rolling out LTE handsets near the end of the year. If you can hold on a few more months, you could get something really amazing and not suffer buyers remorse when the next generation start coming out in just a few months.

Alan

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Here are some things to think about. All 3 have approximatly the same specs for performance. The X and the DINC have 8 megapixel cameras, and with an upcoming software update to the DINC, both can record 720P video. I believe the D2 will still be a 5 megapixel camera, but the camera on the D1 was quite good, so this may not be a big deal to you.

How much have you invested in accessories? (cases, holsters, spare batteries, car mount, home mount). All should be compatible with the D2, but you will need to start over with the DINC or DX.

Go to a store and handle the DX and DINC. The DINC is lighter and thinner than the Droid 1 (and 2), but it has crappy battery life, so you will at least want a spare, and probably an extended, which adds to the bulk somewhat. The screen is much sharper than the D1 but is probably about equivalent to what the D2 will have. The DX is REALLY big. Handle it for a while, hold it as if making a call. use the on screen keyboard (try out Swype). If it is comfortable in your hands, it has the best video playback even without the external video connection, but seriously, it is a BIG phone (although I think actually a little lighter weight than the D1). Battery life is similar to the D1. Not great, but better than the DINC. Unfortunately, uses a different battery than the D1, so you can't use your old one as a spare. If you get the D2, it probably (although not confirmed) will use the same battery as the D1, so you could have a spare without extra expense.

Obviously, if keyboard is important, than the D2 is your only choice.

The one other thing to keep in mind is that Motorola has said they plan to have 2 Ghz devices out before the end of the year, and Verizon is planning on rolling out LTE handsets near the end of the year. If you can hold on a few more months, you could get something really amazing and not suffer buyers remorse when the next generation start coming out in just a few months.

Alan

+1

Wait it out if you can, if not, get any of the 3. They're all nice devices, it comes down to preference.

kpiskin

Reaction score
I got the Droid X and definitely have no regrets. I owned the original Droid since it was launched in November and just love it, especially that physical keyboard. After I read the specs for the D2, I was a little disappointed. To me the DInc, really only has the faster processor and 8MP camera over the Droid. But the DX has the faster CPU, 8MP camera and bigger screen and can shoot 720P video. And typing on that bigger screen is much easier. I don't even miss the physical keyboard anymore. Also everything is much easier to see on the DX. Sure it's a little bigger, but it's not unwieldy. I don't have overly large hands either.

The battery life is a bit of a surprise and lasts just about as long as my original Droid's battery does. I don't think the DInc has that kind of stamina. And unlike the original Droid, Motorola confirms that an extended battery will be released next month for the DX that uses the existing cover, so you won't have a hump in back of the phone.

Don't forget that the DX has 8GB of internal memory plus a 16GB card, giving you 24GB to start with (upgradable to a total of 40GB). The DInc only gives you the internal 8GB (upgradable to a total of 24GB).

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I'd say get the Droid X. I want the Droid X, but gotta wait til January when my mom can upgrade, gonna steal hers. Hopefully by then the X is romable. Saw that the Incredible got 2.2 ROM. Thinking of etting that now =/

kdw11005

Reaction score
I have a original Moto Droid and love it! I was considering the DX but then the rep at verizon tells me about the D2 (which I had never heard of till then). He made it sound like the D2 accessories are gonna be compatible with the D1's. I was reading techguru's reply (a lot of good info) and was wondering what is the LTE handset?

Jmart922

Reaction score
My choice droid x, its different then the droid 1, and the droid 2 is just too similar in terms of design, not that that's a bad thing but I would like something new and different
Second, Droid 2, because of its sharper screen then the DI, even though the latter has a more vibrant screen, I prefer its high resolution screen (54 pixels)and physical keyboard
Third, DI, but with froyo coming out for both this phone and the X, well the X is already a beast in performance, its going to be killer when its updated...
Which phone do I stick with, NONE, my Droid 1, I'm holding out for something more enticing, like maybe an LTE based android phone, I can certainly wait

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
I have the choice of the droid x/droid incredible/Droid 2

I currently have The original Droid

I have it rooted but my question is ....what would everyone here suggest for me I mean I am a tech guy I like exploring an all I see the droid x was recently rooted witch peaks my interest in that phone but would I be better off with droid 2 any news on the droid 2's bootloader ?

an the incredible looks like a cool phone but I like my physical keyboard but it is not the most important thing in the world to me...

Any help you all could suggest would be great thanks in advance

Be patient and wait.
Every droid site is trying to get their hands on a D2 so that they can
try and root it, and unlock the bootloader...Until then/August 12th...

We all won't know for sure.
So as it is:

"The" multimedia device to get (on Verizon) is the Droid Xtreme.
Nothing on Verizon can compete with it as far as specs are concerned
for the tech-savvy...

The fastest snappiest phone is the Droid Incredible (on Verizon)
Bar none. It just flies but uses the same size screen found in the D1, D2.

If it is the keyboard you are set on...
Be patient! -The D2 will inevitably be rooted/unlocked in time.
It will have Droid X performance, with a keyboard and Froyo 2.2 standard, HOWEVER it will not have

-720p video recording (but will have DVD quality and conversion options)

-4.3 inch screen

-8MP camera (Droid 1, and 2 have 5)

-HDMI output

-3 mics

So there it is.