Incorrect area code (617) for rooted leaked 2.2

ccomengee86

Reaction score
I have a leaked rooted 2.2 and it gives me wrong area code(617) every time I try to call someone using only 7 digits (without area code). Is there any way to fix it?

OP
C

ccomengee86

Reaction score
I live in Ohio...

Wow. So they sent you a refurbished phone then.

Uh... hmm... I am trying to remember where to change it, but I can't find it or remember it.

That's not possible. I picked mine up the day it came out. July 15th. I didn't have this issue when I got it. I think it happened after manually updating it to froyo.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did the ota update and have only rooted the phone. Other than that I am stock and I also see the 617 area code. I'm also in Ohio.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, I did a factory reset and all seems fine now with the area code. Restored all apps via Titanium.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Damn, for some reason the 617 area code thing is back... anyone find any other solutions yet?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should unroot and bring it into vzw.

-Droid Does

kdub8990

Reaction score
Had the same happen to me with same area code. I am running the Liberty rom and I got it to quit by using bootstrapper to flash back to a restore point I made right after I installed the Liberty rom (not quite a factory reset). I never used google voice or downloaded any strange apps so not sure why it started adding the wrong area code.

-iD

Reaction score
Had the same happen to me with same area code. I am running the Liberty rom and I got it to quit by using bootstrapper to flash back to a restore point I made right after I installed the Liberty rom (not quite a factory reset). I never used google voice or downloaded any strange apps so not sure why it started adding the wrong area code.

i had this issue 6 months ago and never resolved it, then again today, but with better luck. found this somewhere else, so i take no credit, but it does solve the problem.

cheers!

Is your phone suddenly defaulting to area code 617 when you only dial 7 digits? This is the fix. (self.Android)
submitted 3 months ago by reddit_account_42
For at least a few weeks now, my phone has been defaulting to area code 617. I assumed I probably broke it trying out some Cyanogenod nighties with the race up to 6.1, and didn't think too much of it. Now that i'm dealing with some new phone numbers, defaulting to 617 instead of my correct area code has been somewhat of a pain. Google didn't help, but it revealed a number of users with the same problems:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/58689-area-code-differnet.html http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad/65828-area-code-being-added-3.html
I then was lucky enough to find this code snippet with the constant private static final String AREACODE = "617". Looking at the name seems to indicate that it's for testing an intent, and has a bit of additional functionality I hadn't noticed:
  • Make default area code 617
  • Replace 411 with 1-800-GOOG-411
  • Disable calling 555-5555 (Try it, dialer just closes. As the code says, "Note that no UI is displayed to the user -- the call simply does not happen.")
Realizing now that the issue is with the Dialer app, I'd figured I'd just have to find an apk of that somewhere. Instead, I realized I had downloaded Autostarts which lets you review intent handlers. Indeed, if you run Autostarts, you can see that under 'New Outgoing Call' there is an entry by Dialer. Clicking on that and you can see that the intent is handled by com.android.phone.ProcessOutgoingCallTest, which is exactly the code I found above. From here, you can just choose 'Disable' and autostarts will remove the intent, and you'll have your 7 digit phone numbers back without the 617 area code.
Note that I had to restart the Dialer for this change to work (or, rather, it crashed out from under me when I changed it). Though, there are no ill effects.
I can only assume a build of Cyanogenmod had this test facility enabled, and when I didnt' wipe during a ROM upgrade this persisted.
tl;dr: Use Autostarts and remove the Dialer entry from 'New Outgoing Call'
i had indeed used autostarts a yesterday and not remembering why i would have disabled this call to dialer on a new outgoing call, i'd re-enabled it. silly me.

:)