Maker of "Angry Birds" seems to prefer Apple

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to consider the source. This was brought to my attention on Twitter by Stephen Fry (a big Apple fan). You can read the whole thing at Peter Vesterbacka, Maker of Angry Birds Talks about the Birds, Apple, Android, Nokia, and Palm/HP|Mobile and Social Media but here are a couple of highlights:

3. I have tried your games on various platforms including Maemo (Bounce). How do you view the various mobile OSs in regard to the future of mobile technology? Which will prevail?
“Apple will be the number one platform for a long time from a developer perspective, they have gotten so many things right. And they know what they are doing and they call the shots. Android is growing, but it’s also growing complexity at the same time. Device fragmentation not the issue, but rather the fragmentation of the ecosystem. So many different shops, so many different models. The carriers messing with the experience again. Open but not really open, a very Google centric ecosystem. And paid content just doesn’t work on Android.

9. Why did you decide to make the Android version free and is that going to change any time soon?
“Free is the way to go with Android. Nobody has been successful selling content on Android. We will offer a way to remove the ads by paying for the app, but we don’t expect that to be a huge revenue stream.”

I saw another article on the same site with 5 reasons the Droid will not kill the iPhone, so this must be an Apple site.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I think Angry Birds cost about 6 bucks in the app store. I don't like it myself so I never bought it for the iPad.

The amount of advertising on Angry Birds IMHO is minimal. It's as free as you could want it to be. When you go from Android to Apple and see their App Store there is a moment of price shock.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Of course he prefer apple cause all he seems concerned about is revenue. That's right in line with apple values...as well as marketing

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
all i can say is that us Android owners gets Angry Birds for free is awesome bc i dislike paying for apps...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
He's missing out is all I can say.....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
all i can say is that us Android owners gets Angry Birds for free is awesome bc i dislike paying for apps...

Really you're very lucky, and I'm not trying to change the topic but the fact is revenue kind of drives most developers. And it seems to me that the majority of people who use Android devices don't want to kick out 10 bucks for a good app. So as a result when people complain about the Android Market, well, you get what you pay for.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The iPhone app is .99 and its more for the iPad because of resolution but there are no ads on either. Its free on Android because Rovio makes their money on ads. Money is the drive behind basically everything these days.

Really you're very lucky, and I'm not trying to change the topic but the fact is revenue kind of drives most developers. And it seems to me that the majority of people who use Android devices don't want to kick out 10 bucks for a good app. So as a result when people complain about the Android Market, well, you get what you pay for.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
And it seems to me that the majority of people who use Android devices don't want to kick out 10 bucks for a good app. So as a result when people complain about the Android Market, well, you get what you pay for.

I'll pay for an app I'll use and even will pay for some I don't need to just because I want to support the developer. The way I see it, how many apps will a coffee from Starbucks buy and how long will that app last vs the amount of time that coffee will be in your system?

For myself, I don't play Angry Birds that much so I might not pay for it I could. If I played it a lot that might be different.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the lite and ad versions so I get a chance to try it for more than a moment. Every ad supported app that I've kept the allows ad free with donation I've upgraded to the ad free. Same with lite versions.
At the same time there are well over 100 lite or ad apps that I no longer have because they didn't work right and /or fit my needs.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Makes sense.. android has so many different phones with different hardware so it must be a pain to make an app then realize its not compatible or it isn't running right on some devices.

Also.. there's more iphones and ipod touches and as a developer im trying to make money so why wouldn't I prefer apple over android lol

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Makes sense.. android has so many different phones with different hardware so it must be a pain to make an app then realize its not compatible or it isn't running right on some devices.

Also.. there's more iphones and ipod touches and as a developer im trying to make money so why wouldn't I prefer apple over android lol

^exactly... All things considered if you have limited resources and are trying to make $$ why not stick with the platform that 1) has BY FAR the most users and 2) a consistent, controlled platform on which to design. Hats off to the Android developers that are doing a great job but it must be a HUGE PIA to support so many devices AND so many OS versions, and all with a fraction of the users iPOS has (therefore far less chance for revenue)... Google really needs to tighten things up if they want Android to really be considered a 'threat' to iPOS.

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Are you serious? Who as a developer isn't trying to make money? People have wives, kids, lives...sure there's a few that might just take donations might create apps as a hobby but if im gonna bust my ass off to make an app why wouldn't I want to make money off of it?

A friend of mine would refuse to buy any apps for his iphone. He said he didn't want to give apple any of his money. Yea ok, apples gets a small cut off each app but im all about supporting the little guy making some app on his off time. I spent close to 30 bucks on apps when I had an iphone 4 mostly games really but I mean I can't be stingy and say I wont buy any apps for android. I know launcher pro for example is free but I bought the full version.

Im all for buying apps.. I mean as of now.. ios has the best apps and I think that's mainly because more people are willing to pay for them.

Of course he prefer apple cause all he seems concerned about is revenue. That's right in line with apple values...as well as marketing

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

debdroid1a

Reaction score

Agree.

I just bought Word Fued because I've been playing it consistantly for weeks.
I would have probably done the same with Angry Birds Seasons.

I do like that I can play free to see if I like the game enough to pay for it.

Gritwater

Reaction score

since when has trying to make money become such a bad quality in humans? A man has to pay his mortgage somehow now doesn't he.

more power to him I think.