Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Motorola Olympus MB860

The information for this phone is PRELIMINARY and could be incomplete or inaccurate. If you have any information about it, please send it to: [email protected]

Motorola Olympus is rumored to be one of the first to launch with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and feature NVIDIA's Dual-core Tegra 2 processor. A front facing camera is expected with this unit along with 1080 video encode/decode.

Motorola Olympus MB860 specifications

General info

• Phone type:
    • Smart phone
  • Network technology: Network technology - Referes to the kind of network technology used. Three major technologies are used today - TDMA, CDMA and GSM.
    • GSM: GSM - Global System for Mobile communications. A world standard for digital cellular communications using narrowband TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access), which allows up to eight calls at a time on 800 MHz and 1800 MHz frequencies. Introduced in 1991. Is the standard most commonly used in Europe and Asia, but not in the United States. GSM phones use a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) smart card that contains user account information. Any GSM phone becomes immediately programmed after plugging in the SIM card, thus allowing GSM phones to be easily rented or borrowed. SIM cards can be programmed to display custom menus for personalized services.GSM provides a short messaging service (SMS) that enables text messages up to 160 characters in length to be sent to and from a GSM phone.
      • 850, 900, 1800, 1900
    • UMTS: UMTS - Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service, also called WCDMA, is a 3G (Third Generation) packet-based transmission of text, digitized voice, video, and multimedia at data rates up to 2 Mbps. It is based on GSM standard and is supported by major standards bodies and manufacturers
      • 850, 1900, 2100
  • Data: Data - Shows the particular phone's type of data. the major mobile phone data types are GPRS, CDMA2000 1xRTT, EDGE, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, UMTS, etc.
    • EDGE
    • UMTS:
      • Yes
    • HSDPA:
      • Yes (HSDPA 7.2 Mbit/s)
    • HSUPA 2.0 Mbit/s
  • Global Roaming: Global Roaming - Global Roaming is the convenience of having a mobile phone to make and receive calls, send and receive SMS while you travel overseas with your regular mobile number. Usually the Global phones support multiple frequencies like - 900/1800/1900 mhz.
    • Yes

Design

• Design: Design - Phone design type
    • Antenna: Antenna - Refers to the type of the antenna. The major types are retractable, stub-retractable, stub-nonretractable, internal
      • Internal

Display

• Display: Display - Phone's main display
    • Type: Type - Refers to the type of the display. There are four major display types: Greyscale, Black&White, LCD:STN-color and LCD:TFT-color
      • Color
    • Physical Size:
      • 4.10 inches
    • Touch Screen:
      • Yes (Capacitive)
    • Multi-touch:
      • Yes
    • Proximity Sensor:
      • Yes
    • Light sensor:
      • Yes

Battery

• Type: Type - Refers to the battery type. Three major battery typesare used: Li-Ion, Li-Polymer, Ni-MH
    • Li - Ion

Software

• Smart Phone: Smart Phone - Phone that has capabilities, not usually associated with phones. Usually it has some of the above features: - Email, Web browsing - Personal information management - LAN connectivity etc
    • Yes
    • OS: OS - Operating system, which is the software that enables and controls the basic operation of an electronic device. The major OS for mobile phones are UIQ over Symbian, Microsoft Mobile for Pocket PC Phone Edition, Microsoft Mobile for Smartphones, Linux, Palm
      • Android (2.3)
  • Processor:
    • dual-core Tegra 2
    • Processor speed:
      • 1000 MHz
  • 3D Graphics hardware accelerator:
    • Yes
  • OTA Software updates:
    • Yes
  • Games:
    • Yes

Camera

• Camera: Camera - Camera specs
    • Yes (Immobile)
    • Features:
      • Auto focus, Geo tagging
  • Video capture:
    • Yes
      • Resolution: Resolution - Shows whether the particular phone's camera can record a video clip
        • 1920x1080 (1080p HD)
  • Additional camera:
    • Yes

Multimedia

• Music Player: Music Player - Audio support such as MP3
    • Yes
    • Supports:
      • MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WAV, MIDI
  • Video Playback: Video Playback - Video support such as MPEG4
    • Yes
    • Supports:
      • MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV
  • Streaming:
    • Yes
  • YouTube player:
    • Yes

Internet browsing

• Internet Browsing: Internet Browsing - Capability to access special Internet sites using the mobile phone
    • Yes
    • Supports:
      • HTML, Flash
  • Built-in online services support:
    • Facebook, MySpace, Twitter

Location Based Services

• Location Based Services:
      • Yes
    • Type:
      • A-GPS
    • Navigation:
      • Yes

Phonebook

• Support:
    • Yes
  • Capacity:
    • Capacity depends on system memory
  • Features:
    • Caller groups, Multiple numbers per contact, Search by both first and last name, Picture ID, Ring ID

Organizer

• Calendar:
    • Yes
  • Alarms:
    • Yes
  • Document Viewer:
    • Yes
  • Other:
    • Calculator, World Clock

Messaging

• SMS:
    • Yes
  • EMS: EMS - Enhanced Message Service - a type of extended SMS. Allows users not only to send plain text messages, but also to include pictures, animations, melodies and formatted type.
    • Yes
  • MMS: MMS - MMS - Multimedia Messaging Service - method of transmitting graphics, video clips, sound files and short text messages over wireless networks using the WAP protocol.
    • Yes
  • Templates: Templates - Pre-set text that can be used to quickly send common messages without typing the message itself
    • Yes
  • Predictive Text Input: Predictive Text Input - Predictive Text Input is a intelligent software that make typing words easier on a mobile phone keypads. It uses a built in dictionaries. You press the numbers that carry the characters that you want to type only once, and the software tries to guess what word you are attempting to type.
    • Yes
  • E-mail: E-mail - Shows if the phone supports email features
    • Yes (IMAP, POP3, SMTP, Microsoft Exchange)
  • Instant Messaging:
    • Yes (Google Talk)

Memory

• Memory Expansion: Memory Expansion - Capability to add additional memory to your phone.
    • Slot Type: Slot Type - Shows what type of additional memory can be added to the particular phone. Eight major memory slot types are available: MMC, SD, CF, Memory Stick Duo, miniSD, RS MMC, TransFlash (microSD), Memory Stick Pro Duo
      • microSD, microSDHC

Connectivity

• Bluetooth: Bluetooth - Low power radio technology replacing the need for wires connecting electronic devices such as personal computers, printers, palm top computers and mobile phones.
    • Yes
  • Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi - Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) - used radio waves (RF) or infrared signals to send and receive data over the air. Most popular WLAN solutions today is Wi-Fi (802.11b and 802.11g) standards. 801.11b provides data speeds of around 11mbps while 802.11g can go up to 54 mbps.
    • Yes (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n)
  • USB:
    • Yes
    • Type:
      • microUSB
    • Version:
      • USB 2.0
    • Features: Features - Universal Serial Bus - is a plug-and-play interface for connection a computer and add-on devices such as joysticks, keyboards, wireless phones, scanner, cameras etc. USB supports hot-swap (ability to add a new device without having to reboot the computer). USB supports data speed of 12 megabits per second.
      • Mass storage device, USB charging
  • Charging connector:
    • microUSB
  • HDMI:
    • Yes
  • Computer synchronization: Computer synchronization - The phone's ability to synchronize its data with a computer application. The Synchronization involves the transfer of data from one device to a computer or vice versa.
    • Yes
  • OTA synchronization:
    • Yes
  • DLNA:
    • Yes

Notifications

• Polyphonic ringtones: Polyphonic ringtones - Old-style ringtones play one musical note at a time, whereas polyphonic ringtones play multiple notes, creating a fuller, richer and more realistic sound. At the same time, polyphonic ringer phones usually play multiple instruments and are equipped with better-sounding speakers.
    • Yes
  • Music ringtones:
    • Yes (MP3)
  • Vibration Alert: Vibration Alert - Capability to vibrate when receiving calls
    • Yes
  • Haptic feedback:
    • Yes
  • Flight mode:
    • Yes
  • Silent mode:
    • Yes
  • Speaker Phone: Speaker Phone - Allows the user to use the phone without holding it (can be placed at a short distance). This is a very useful feature, if you have to hold for a long time, or numerous people have to participate in the conversation.
    • Yes

Other features

• Voice recording: Voice recording - The ability to store short notes(memos) in the memory of your phone.
    • Yes
  • Additional microphone:
    • Yes
    • Used for:
      • Noise cancellation
  • Sensors:
    • Accelerometer, Compass
  • TTY/TDD: TTY/TDD - Special feature enabling deaf/hard of hearing or speech individuals to communicate with hearing individuals.
    • Yes

Source

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I never tire of talking about this thing : )

The screen is that sweet spot of 4" (really 4.1 but does the .1 really make a difference)

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
motolfour2-580x434.jpg

135614-olympusabout.jpg

135614-motorolaolympus.jpg

ChuckG73

Reaction score
Looks like a sweet phone and very possibly my next phone....tired of the waiting on DInc HD.

2005CTS

Reaction score
I never tire of talking about this thing : )

The screen is that sweet spot of 4" (really 4.1 but does the .1 really make a difference)

I agree that 4" is the sweet spot for the next generation of phones. Glad to see another option out there...and on a dual core phone no less!!

2005CTS

Reaction score
On of my favorite features that Motorola offers is the Car Dock function to go with their windshield mounted dock for use your car. See the third picture below - it shows that the Olympus/Etna will have this feature just like the DX. Since my CTS doesn't have a navigation system in it - this is a big draw for me.

The best looking Motorola device yet...can't wait to find out the final specs.

motolseven_01.jpg

motolfour.jpg

motolthree.jpg

2005CTS

Reaction score
I know this is old information - but just thought I would post it here to have all the relavent information in one place:

Motorola Olympus MB860 Passes WiFi, Bluetooth Certifications – Is This Jha’s Secret Project? | Android Phone Fans

This is two months old...and it shows that this device has already passed Wi-Fi and bluetooth certifications. One can only think that it has already passed the FCC certifications as well...but just hasn't been released yet. Due to the age of this information and the number of pictures that have leaked out - makes me think that this is very very close to being released. AT&T first and then VZW as an LTE device in the late winter / early spring.

ChuckG73

Reaction score
I can wait until February for this phone, I just hope it keeps pumping out information. I have had an Inc and a Droid X. I can say I am not a fan of blur but am running ADW so it does not matter. The way this thread started with all of the info is great.....Thanks

Emmexx

Reaction score
Definately a beautiful phone inside and out. Power in spades and appears to have all the extras as well.

Grybrd

Reaction score
At&t???

I do believe the first post states this is an AT&T device ... keeps me form getting excited.

2005CTS

Reaction score
More information...not new...just adding it to our database:

Motorola Etna: Verizon’s 4G LTE version of Olympus : Product Reviews Net

Motorola Olympus Tegra 2: Photos Show DEFY Similarities : Product Reviews Net

This link has an estimated release schedule - hopefully it is sooner than this:
http://androidandme.com/2010/11/news/dual-core-verizon-motorola-etna-will-be-100-lte-compatible/

Olympus: AT&T smartphone, rumored for last week of January
Etna: Verizon smartphone, rumored for February-March
Everest: Verizon tablet, rumored for February-March

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.