Nervous about rooting

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
I want to root my D3 but im really nervous about bricking the phone. Ive read and re-read and then read again about rooting. The how-to's, the pros and cons...etc.

My problem is with recovery. I keep seeing different names for recovery thrown around and its confusing. i dont know whether its supposed to be done before or after root.

Can anyone help me?

B

JArchitect32

Reaction score
You an me both! I took the plunge an rooted my brand new Droid 3 and can report that I had no problems (I wish I could promise you the same).

I followed these instructions ( Pete's Motorola Root Tools ) exactly (using Windows 7, 64Bit) and it took literally minutes.

In general, flashing a recovery is something done after you have rooted your phone, as it generally requires root access to perform.

The exact steps I followed were:
Pete's instructions from the link above.
Once rooted, I opened the Market, and installed the free version of Rom Manager.
Opened Rom Manager and chose to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
Rebooted phone into recovery using Rom Manager.
Performed a nandroid backup in recovery.
Flashed the Liberty2.0 Rom

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
You an me both! I took the plunge an rooted my brand new Droid 3 and can report that I had no problems (I wish I could promise you the same).

I followed these instructions ( Pete's Motorola Root Tools ) exactly (using Windows 7, 64Bit) and it took literally minutes.

In general, flashing a recovery is something done after you have rooted your phone, as it generally requires root access to perform.

The exact steps I followed were:
Pete's instructions from the link above.
Once rooted, I opened the Market, and installed the free version of Rom Manager.
Opened Rom Manager and chose to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
Rebooted phone into recovery using Rom Manager.
Performed a nandroid backup in recovery.
Flashed the Liberty2.0 Rom

Thanks. Broken down like that it seems pretty easy.

question. How did you get liberty 2.0 on the phone? was it part of rom manager? Id like to use steel droid 4.5. do i need to put those on my phone first?

thanks again. very helpful

B

Shimmy549

Reaction score
You can put the files associated with a ROM onto your SD card. I downloaded once through ROM Manager and the whole experience was unpleasant (it isn't for most people, though). Ever since, I've just put the ROM files on my SD and accessed them from the recovery menu.

If you download an app like Safestrap or Bootstrap, they will make the recovery for you. You have to be rooted first, but once you are and those apps have Super User privileges, you would just use them to create your recovery.

That's how it has worked with the Droids I've rooted. Different phones have different root methods. It's pretty easy with Droids, though. Psouza's root method is simple, too.

Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

JArchitect32

Reaction score
You can put the files associated with a ROM onto your SD card. I downloaded once through ROM Manager and the whole experience was unpleasant (it isn't for most people, though). Ever since, I've just put the ROM files on my SD and accessed them from the recovery menu.

If you download an app like Safestrap or Bootstrap, they will make the recovery for you. You have to be rooted first, but once you are and those apps have Super User privileges, you would just use them to create your recovery.

That's how it has worked with the Droids I've rooted. Different phones have different root methods. It's pretty easy with Droids, though. Psouza's root method is simple, too.

This pretty perfectly sums it up.
I simply used Rom Manager to get the ClockworkMod Recovery on the phone. After that, I use the reboot to recovery option and use the CWM recovery menu to install the roms.

keepithd2010

Reaction score

I am new to this as well i used to be a computer freak but not so much anymore. Can you tell me in detail if you can what the bennifit is to Rooting your D3? Does it make it much vast if yes in what way?

Thank You

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Eh, it depends. For some people, there really is no benefit and it's more of a headache. It depends on what you want the phone to do. If you want to overclock the CPU, you'll need to root and run a custom kernel that supports oc'ing. If you need to free up memory, you'll want to remove carrier bloatware, which requires root. If you aren't having issues with memory and/or you're content to ignore bloat, you probably won't get a big rush from removing it.

I suppose it's mostly subjective.

trebor_edwards

Reaction score
Petes's motorola root tool definately, but use hashcode's safestrap for backup. Go into droid3 rom section, Steel Droid 3 folder has a step by step to root rom and backup. Steel Droid 3 has given me up to 40 hours of battery life, with moderate use, it is worth it just for that! Here is the link:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181416
Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Just finished rooting my D3, very easy and took less than 10minutes. Youtube is a GODSEND for those who arent computer iliterate..like myself..lol
Here is a link but it is for Mac users. file://localhost/Users/craigbryan/Desktop/www.youtube.com:watch%3Fv=gdbu4ZQ68Fs.webloc

skeezix1970

Reaction score
I'd like add a quick question here rather then start a new thread... I've downloaded the cyanogen 7 mod, but can't seem to install it. Do I need to have my D3 hooked to my computer while going into recovery mode? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this.
Thanks,
Rick

JArchitect32

Reaction score
Once you've downloaded the rom file, make sure it is on your internal memory card (or external sd card). To access the recovery option, you need to have installed something that allows you to access the bootloader. I recently became a huge fan of Safestrap. It is super user friendly and has several safeguards. If you download it and install it (its an APK), when you power off the phone and turn it back on, you have a new prompt to hit the Menu button to access recovery, or Search to continue normally booting. Hit Menu and you are in the recovery menu. There is a nice walkthrough in the Droid 3 Hacks section about how to use Safestrap.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like add a quick question here rather then start a new thread... I've downloaded the cyanogen 7 mod, but can't seem to install it. Do I need to have my D3 hooked to my computer while going into recovery mode? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this.
Thanks,
Rick

No you need the ROM on your sdcard and you flash that in recovery.

I think you need Safestrap to flash CM7 IIRC.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

skeezix1970

Reaction score
THANK YOU!! Gonna get it done now, lol....