New car home won't install?

papy72

Reaction score
Anyone gotten the new Car Home installed on CM 6?

(search "Car Home" in the market if you want to try)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Chances are it won't install because there is already a car home installed in system/app after this is uninstalled the Market version should install with no problems

Same with gmail

catpaws

Reaction score
If you don't actually want to uninstall them, you can also use Root explorer to rename them. I find this method is easier than uninstalling.

Go into system/app, mount r/w, then rename carhomegoogle.apk to carhomegoogle.bak and gmail.apk to gmail.bak. Reboot, then go back into the market and try to reinstall carhome and gmail again. You should get success this time.

I guess this should work with any app installed to /system.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Renaming it .bak works too but after you get a successful install from the Market versions go into system/app and delete the apps you renamed to .bak...or they will just be taking up space

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I could not get Car Home to uninstall (with pm uninstall), but I was able to get the updated version to install by simply deleting the old one.

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm /system/app/CarHomeGoogle.apk

Make sure you reboot after deleting it before installing from the market.

OP
papy72

papy72

Reaction score
If you don't actually want to uninstall them, you can also use Root explorer to rename them. I find this method is easier than uninstalling.

Go into system/app, mount r/w, then rename carhomegoogle.apk to carhomegoogle.bak and gmail.apk to gmail.bak. Reboot, then go back into the market and try to reinstall carhome and gmail again. You should get success this time.

I guess this should work with any app installed to /system.
This worked like a charm for me.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Check the Google app pack on the CyanogenMod wiki and see if it's been updated. Failing that you'll need to do some terminal work as noted above.

If the app pack has been updated just do a standard update.zip install.