New Ubuntu Edge Can Dual-Boot to Android and Could Offer Crazy Specs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ubuntu-edge.png

The Ubuntu Edge was recently announced on indiegogo and it looks like a truly impressive new product in the mobile world. It obviously is designed to run the Ubuntu OS, but also has the added convenience of being about to dual-boot to Android. It doesn't stop there. You might expect a device like this to come out with mediocre specs, but you would be wrong. Here's a breakdown of the specs they intend to bring to this device. You can also check it out the in the video below.

[video=youtube;fFN4k-AFEbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fFN4k-AFEbw[/video]​

The company is trying to get a lofty crowd-funding goal of $32Million dollars. They have already received over $1.5Million in about a day, so they might hit that. Here's a link to check it out on their indiegogo crowd-funding site: Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

Thanks for the tip, lloydstrans!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I was hoping for a lot more reaction from this, still on the fence. 5030 units sold as of now, and it appears they are honoring 600 dollars past the 5000 mark. Still got 11 hours to decide.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They need to sell about 50,000 devices to reach their $32M. They might just be trying to show evidence of demand to get a carrier on board, but IMO I'd keep my money unless you are in the habit of making $600+ corporate donations.

I don't expect to ever see this device in production, or at least it won't be the first.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
They need to sell about 50,000 devices to reach their $32M. They might just be trying to show evidence of demand to get a carrier on board, but IMO I'd keep my money unless you are in the habit of making $600+ corporate donations.

I don't expect to ever see this device in production, or at least it won't be the first.

I don't see it going past 15,000 units, first day and waning days will always render the best results.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
They problem with kick starters...is that you have to wait forever to recieve it. may 2014 is the expected date

Impressive device though. The sapphire crystal screen is very very very impressive. As is the 4gb ram and 128GB space.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
May?? It would no doubt turn into September. They have a high bar to hurdle. But it is sweet, gun metal grey would be a better color.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't see it going past 15,000 units, first day and waning days will always render the best results..

No doubt the biggest bump comes today with the coverage. Maybe a refresh in a month. But I think your 15k number is pretty good. Question is if that's enough to convince a real investor/carrier. Quite possibly.

Great specs, and a great idea. I just think 12+ months that it may not be that special, and I'd rather spend my $650+ on a brand name.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't see it going past 15,000 units, first day and waning days will always render the best results.

You do not need 1080p on a 4.5" phone, if you can tell me you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 4.5" screen you my friend are full of FUD.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Well, 5040 units in 12 hours and in the last 12 hours 275 units at the $830 price point. Did manage to eke out 2 units at the $10,000 mark. I just have an affection for novel items, even if they may become bricks. Their target number now becomes 1,100 units a day, hmm. Looks like my PayPal account will stay intact at least for the next 29 days.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
You do not need 1080p on a 4.5" phone, if you can tell me you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 4.5" screen you my friend are full of FUD.

The phone is only 720p, the HD reference is my sig. sorry for the confusion. agreed 1080p on a 4.5 screen is unperceivable, except through a jewelers loupe.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I like this idea, even though I wouldn't buy this device I'm excited for it to push the envelope on material and engineering, notably the battery tech and sapphire crystal glass, bring it on down to mainstream baby.