Nexus 9 bricked! :(

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
Me too! :)

I just dropped Project Fi because the service from TMO and Sprint around here just is not good. I have my iPhone 6+ on ATT's GoPhone plan and had kept Project Fi to have a 2nd phone and the Nexus 9. Ended up costing me about $70/month to do that. I'll switch the N9 to ATT and the total bill from ATT will be about $70 but the coverage will be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: CJM

jrredho

Reaction score
I've got all the files and yes, I can boot it to fastboot. But none of the software can seem to unlock the boot loader which pretty much makes doing anything else impossible from what I can see.

But this is all moot now. I chatted with HTC and have sent the unit to them for warranty service.

It won't be moot if you need to do something like this again!

Unlocking the bootloader on the N9 is a multi-step operation. You have to activate the Settings->Developers Options menu, and enable USB debugging and bootloader unlocking on the tablet with menu picks under Developer Options while it is booted to its ROM. You then boot it to the bootloader and issue the fastboot command to unlock the bootloader.

I highly recommend that you check out [GUIDE] How to Unlock the Bootloader, Flash a Factory Image, and Return to Stock before you try again once you've received your tablet back from HTC.

Good luck!

cheers,
john

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
The link doesn't seem to work.

There was no way to go to Settings on the N9 because the only 2 things it could do were got into Fastboot menu or just give a screen that says "Google" and nothing else. The instructions I was reading said just to wait if I saw that, but I let it sit for an hour with Google on the screen and it would never go beyond that.

If that is going to be an issue going forward I'll just have to hope it doesn't toast itself again. I'm more than a little irritated with this, but what can you do?

jrredho

Reaction score
The link doesn't seem to work.

There was no way to go to Settings on the N9 because the only 2 things it could do were got into Fastboot menu or just give a screen that says "Google" and nothing else. The instructions I was reading said just to wait if I saw that, but I let it sit for an hour with Google on the screen and it would never go beyond that.

If that is going to be an issue going forward I'll just have to hope it doesn't toast itself again. I'm more than a little irritated with this, but what can you do?

I don't know what to tell you about the link. I checked it before I posted my message, and I just re-checked it. It works for me.

Anyway, the main point of my post to you is that if you cannot boot to the ROM then you cannot unlock the bootloader. Period. That is why you're stuck until you receive you tablet back from HTC when, supposedly, it will boot. Then you can start again by trying the link, which I'm re-posting here without the link "helper" that's in the forum interface: [GUIDE] How to Unlock the Bootloader, Flash a Factory Image, and Return to Stock

Good luck,
john

Last edited:
OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
Possibly the link won't work within Tapatalk. I'll look later today from a browser. Thanks.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Possibly the link won't work within Tapatalk. I'll look later today from a browser. Thanks.

Works fine.

8f1d236862eb0ee5684e12f44d7aff62.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
HTC fixed and returned within a week. I like fast service.

Now if I understand other posts, I think I should turn on developer stuff so that if I need to flash it at some future point I'll be able to?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
HTC fixed and returned within a week. I like fast service.

Now if I understand other posts, I think I should turn on developer stuff so that if I need to flash it at some future point I'll be able to?

What you want to enable is USB debugging in Developer options

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
Ok, thanks.

jrredho

Reaction score
What you want to enable is USB debugging in Developer options

While this is correct for what you were trying to do earlier in this thread. I think you could've avoided having to send the device back to HTC if you'd have unlocked the bootloader prior to mucking around installing new ROMs. The reason? Because even if something doesn't go smoothly, like your N install, since it's a Nexus device you can often find ways via fastboot/adb to recover from them on your own.

Even if you only *anticipate* the possibility of unlocking the bootloader, you should enable the "Allow OEM Unlocking" option in Developers Options. Otherwise, should you find yourself stuck again, you'll likely have to send it back. Again.

Without this option enabled, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader if the device will no longer boot to the ROM. I've not heard that there are any security consequences with enabling it.

It's your tablet, so it's your call...

Good luck either way!

cheers,
john

Reactions: CJM