no internet access with foxfi

baseballfan

Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first post i am new here so dont know if i am in the right spot, i just installed foxfi my laptop which is a acer aspire can see and connect to my phone (samsung galaxy s infuse) but it says no internet access is there anything or steps that i am missing for it to work, i heard that i need to have a plan that has at least 5gb.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Shouldn't you install it on your phone instead of your laptop? I assume you're trying to tether with it. I had it on my phone and it worked OK but some sites wouldn't load and the connection was slow so I got rid of it

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome to the droid forums baseballfan . Foxfi is ment to be insraled on your phone, and use your phones data to create a Wi-Fi hotspot for other devices to tether to... hope this helps. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Download FoxFi to your phone! Open app and check box to turn on FoxFi! Right below, it will show you your new Network Identifier name. Open WIFI settings on your computer and select your new FoxFi name to connect!...
(" Just remember this whole process of connecting to a network takes a few minutes!!!") ....Be patient!
It will "NOT" connect in 2 Seconds!!!
Once it connects, your phone and computer need to talk to each other! It will let you know when its ready, when it shows a connection near the top of your phones screen! Then your good to go.
Just be careful not to go over your GB Limit! Loading web pages is OK but streaming stuff goes fast!!!

Oh yea! Welcome to Droid Forums and if you need any help, let us know ;-)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Last edited:

peteduffy

Reaction score
FoxFi connects, no internet access

Hello all, I'm new here.

I have a Motorola Bionic and have installed PDANet (paid version) and it came with a link to FoxFi. I tried using FoxFi as a wireless hotspot and it worked great, for the first time or two that I tried it (can't remember if it was just once or more than that.) Now it connects, but says NO INTERNET ACCESS. I tried rebooting both laptop and Bionic, with no success. Windows network troubleshooting was no help.

I tried it again, with a different laptop, and it worked great, but only once. Cannot connect to the internet through FoxFi with either laptop now.

Connecting through PDA net works and I get full internet access, so I know the Bionic is working correctly. But I would really like to use FoxFi for the wireless hotspot.

I have Verizon with an unlimited data plan (although I'm not going to use FoxFi for long periods of time).

I tried turning on/off airplane mode. I tried renaming the FoxFi network on the bionic. I haven't touched the hash code.

Anybody have any more ideas? I've searched the forums and haven't come up with anything that works yet.

Thanks for your help.

pd

peteduffy

Reaction score
Android Version 2.3.4

If you were upgraded to jellybean then foxfire now doesn't work per their site

My phone says Android Version 2.3.4.

I can get FoxFi to work by doing the following:

Run FoxFi

Go to my Home screen

Go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications

Scroll down & select FoxFi

Clear Data

Turn of phone & turn it back on

Go to the FoxFi App & it will now run as a wifi hotspot

However, if I move my computer out of range or otherwise disconnect from the internet, then I have to repeat the above steps. It is a major pain.

Is there an easier way? Or can someone explain to me why it has to be this way?

Thanks.

PD

huskur

Reaction score
Guys....remember....for Foxfi to work on most laptops you need to get the "foxfi add-on" from the playstore. problem solved

peteduffy

Reaction score
FoxFi connects, no internet access

I have the FoxFi AddOn version 3011m installed on my phone.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

pd

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Do you have the security on "WPA" set with a password to "secure" your foxfi hotspot???...See if that might be your issue!!!
It does the same thing to my Bionic, I just leave the "WPA" setting off!
I believe When you get out of range and try to reconnect, it needs to transmit/ authorize the pass code again! That's why your needing to keep turning it off and on again! :) Just a hunch!??

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I gave up on fox fi. I just read that the new version of wifi tether is working again. After some playing around with it, I did get it working.

Fox fi worked ok for me most of the time, but sometimes it would basically drop the connection and I'd have to toggle airplane mode on and off. I never received any notifications asking if I want to keep the connection alive or not. It would just randomly disconnect even when I was actually using it. I could be in the middle of a YouTube video or downloading something and it would just kill the connection and my phone would say "no networks available. Do you wish to switch to global mode?"

It's a good app for the most part and I really liked that you could proxy serve to try and hide the fact that you're tethering, but I just had too many bad experiences with it to keep using it.