Notifications / Subscriptions

cliffplaysdrums

Reaction score
I'm using the droidforums app and can't seem to get it to notify me when there's a response to a thread I've subscribed to by notification only. To clarify, I don't want an email, I just want a notification in my task bar.

In the settings on the actual site it allows you to automatically or manually subscribe but only by email.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Timetripper

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right answer but when you reply to post using the app on your phone, the far left button (next to home screen) brings up a pop up and right next to the "reply" button is the "subscribe" button. Haven't used it yet but I'm thinking that's how to get the notifications working.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
C

cliffplaysdrums

Reaction score
I had it set to auto subscribe, so no problem there. What I'm looking for is a way to stop the email notification and instead receive a task bar notification.

Timetripper

Reaction score
Also in the settings make sure under "notifications" that you have "subscribed" ticked or your not going to get anything either, replying will automatically subscribe you but still need the settings to be set correctly in the app.

Timetripper

Reaction score
The shortest time you can set the notifications for is 15 minutes in the app.

OP
C

cliffplaysdrums

Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help, however:

I know how to get email notifications. That's not the problem. I want to know if there is a way to only get task bar notifications (no emails).

Timetripper

Reaction score
You could try setting from web browser control panel setting - change subscribe to "control panel only" then it should not send anything via e-mail while at the same time have your phone app set to subsribe. It all will depend on how they have phone app setup, also when using the phone app while at "latest" tab (left hand side) use "participated" tab (right hand side) and anything there with new response will have green hilight on message count.

Quote from vBulletin manual (on web):
What subscription modes are available?
There are a number of different forum subscription modes available.
  • No Email Notification - lists the subscription in your User CP only. You do not receive any notifications about new posts or threads in the forum.
  • Daily Email Notification - sends one email a day with the new and updated threads in the forum and any sub-forums. If there are no new or updated threads in the forum or its sub-forums then you will not receive an email.
  • Weekly Email Notification - sends one email per week in the same way as the Daily Email Notification.

I think that they just have it worded different here @ droid, so Default Thread Subscription Mode:Through my control panel only should mean no e-mails

OP
C

cliffplaysdrums

Reaction score
Right now I have the settings from the browser set to do not subscribe and the app set to receive notifications. I'll try "control panel only" like you said. I haven't received any notifications (just emails so far), so I'm also going to try subscribing via the app. I've been using the "participated" tab, but I'd like a notification too.

Timetripper

Reaction score
I guess the down side is that you will only get notified as long as the app is up and running
by ring tone/ and or vibe, and if the app is closed then nothing will happen.

OP
C

cliffplaysdrums

Reaction score
That's a good point. I wonder if it will start itself to check for updates. It stops running pretty fast after I hit home.