OnePlus Is Collecting Your Data Without Asking

JandN2639

Reaction score
We use IPVanish VPN whenever possible. Does that help prevent this sort of thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
No. Not without keeping cookies and trackers from reporting. Unblocked they will still report everything on your side of the screen to whoever they communicate with. The other issue is that no VPN company tells you what they do with your data tables. They may mask your IP from your ISP but then turn around and sell the data... No one knows because none of them ever put it in writing. I wouldn't be surprised if credit agencies didn't own some of the VPN providers out there. No one knows what goes on at any consumer level VPN farm.

Consumer data collection is the straight up Wild West.

Last edited:

JandN2639

Reaction score
No. Not without keeping cookies and trackers from reporting. Unblocked they will still report everything on your side of the screen to whoever they communicate with. The other issue is that no VPN company tells you what they do with your data tables. They may mask your IP from your ISP but then turn around and sell the data... No one knows because none of them ever put it in writing. I wouldn't be surprised if credit agencies didn't own some of the VPN providers out there. No one knows what goes on at any consumer level VPN farm.

Consumer data collection is the straight up Wild West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boidsonly

Reaction score
@Dusty ; Opera has a free built-in VPN that is very useful on the desktop. It can be toggled on/off. The mobile app may have it as well-can't remember.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Who owns the VPN servers that they use? What do they do with the data they route to their VPN since they can decrypt them at will?

On the internet, if you receive a product for free that means that you are the product for sale. Virtually no one holds or protects your data for free out of the kindness of their heart. It's just a sad fact.

My only revenge is to narrow all of my traffic to as few collectors as possible, and make it extremely hard for the rest.