Phones freezes for 2 second then reboots, once a day, immediately after waking up

danielvago

Reaction score
I've had this problem sometime over a month now, can't remember if I did anything to make it like this. I made a post somewhere about it happening the 17th of May, so it started somewhere before that.
My phone will freeze for 2 seconds and then reboot itself.

It started while I was on stock 4.0.2 and now I'm on stock 4.0.4 IMM761. I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus.

It only happens just after the phone has been woken up and something is started. The most common (as it's my go-to-way of forcing it, to see if it's still there) is after waking up the phone, sliding down the notification bar and pressing "settings", which doesn't open but the phone freezes and reboots itself. I first discovered this when I wanted to go in there to change screen brightness. It's also happened when I went into the notification bar and pressed a battery app there. It doesn't matter if I'm doing it in the lock screen or after the lock screen.

It's also happened when I wake up the phone and enter the camera through the lock screen.

It also regularly happen if I set an alarm in the morning. When my alarm is suppose to play it freezes and reboots, and when it's rebooted, the alarm has been cancelled without ever playing.

It doesn't need to wake from deep sleep to do this, I've had it happen mere minutes after trying to see if it's there.

I don't know if it has something to do with this, but the 21st of April I tried to do the "clear google services framework" trick to force 4.0.4 ( I was on yakjuxw), but it did not work and I remember my phone acting janky and I was scared it messed something up, but I seem to remember it getting better. I can't remember what exactly it did though.

I've read that 4.0.4 would fix the reboots that a lot of people were having (don't know if it was the exact same kind of reboots as mine) so I did this to make my phone a yakju (translated from Danish):

Google Oversæt

I did that the 8th of June, and it worked flawlessly and I was on 4.0.4 IMM761 in no time. Unfortunately it did nothing to stop these reboots.

As part of the process of making my phone a yakju I, of course, did a complete factory reset, although I did make a copy of my entire SD and transferred everything over again after the process.

These past two weeks I've tried the following to fix it:

Clear cache partition in recovery.
Clear google services framework.
Clear media storage.
Tried to uninstall many apps, 2-3 a day, to see if they were causing it, re-installing them when I still had the same problem. If it's an app causing this I've yet to find it, but I find it weird that an app could be causing this.

It happens once a day, but never close to each other. It seems that some time has to pass before it can happen, and it only ever happens just after the phone is woken up, either by my alarm or by me opening the notification bar and pressing something there.

Please help me, this is unbearable.

OP
D

danielvago

Reaction score
Another thing, yesterday I tried to let it run without me pulling down the notification bar and pressing "settings", which would set off the freeze-reboot. I found that my phone would not freeze-reboot but very often it would "reload" app icons and widgets when I went around my homescreens. Where I can only see my wallpaper for half a second and then the icons/widgets appear. It would do this very often throughout my 1day 5hour uptime, and a couple of times I would try to force the reboot (by pressing "settings" in the notification bar), after the icons/widgets did the invisible/load thing and it didn't reboot. This must have something to do with it?

OP
D

danielvago

Reaction score
Just writing an update for anyone googling themselves here with the same problem, I had it resolved.

I found out that if I didn't force the reboot (by turning on the phone and quickly pulling down the tray and pressing something there) it could last a long time with just the launcher resetting, but it would lead to complete freezes (anywhere I was on the phone) and would require a battery-pull.

My plan was to wait for jelly-bean before doing another factory reset, I got the JB update and it completely removed the problem. I still don't know why the problem suddenly started or what caused it, all I know is that the JB update fixed it, and the update is fantastic, my phone's never been better.

Last edited: