Problems charging your Droid Pro?

StingRay

Reaction score
Over the weekend I began having problems charging my Pro...at first I thought it might be software related, and even did a factory reset to see if that would help, but it appears to be a "short" at the micro usb plug..when I plug it in it will jump back and forth between "connected" and "disconnected"...moving or putting pressure on the plug will affect whether it is connected or not...

I've always charged my Pro overnight after first turning it off, but now it will not let me do that...I will wake up at night and see that the phone has restarted and is usually at the CW recovery screen (rooted)...Up until this weekend I had not had any problems related to the plug or charging the device, so it seems strange that this seems to have happened overnight...The phone is less than a year old, so would normally be covered under warranty, although in it's current rooted state it would not be able to be returned...

I didn't see any other threads about this problem, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced a problem charging their Pro...

jwgraves

Reaction score
Over the weekend I began having problems charging my Pro...at first I thought it might be software related, and even did a factory reset to see if that would help, but it appears to be a "short" at the micro usb plug..when I plug it in it will jump back and forth between "connected" and "disconnected"...moving or putting pressure on the plug will affect whether it is connected or not...

I've always charged my Pro overnight after first turning it off, but now it will not let me do that...I will wake up at night and see that the phone has restarted and is usually at the CW recovery screen (rooted)...Up until this weekend I had not had any problems related to the plug or charging the device, so it seems strange that this seems to have happened overnight...The phone is less than a year old, so would normally be covered under warranty, although in it's current rooted state it would not be able to be returned...

I didn't see any other threads about this problem, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced a problem charging their Pro...

I've had the exact same thing happen to me last week. I ended trying different plugs and eventually it looks like I'm OK. The most frustrating part is when "the phone has restarted and is usually at the CW recovery screen (rooted)".....everytime I recharge, my phone restarts at the CW recovery screen and I can't get stop it. I have to click re-boot, but otherwise it is stuck on the CW screen.

badcat

Reaction score

I saw this myself once last week. I went to charge my phone, plugged it in and walked away only to find later it had rebooted and I had to do a battery pull to get it restarted. I'm not rooted, btw. Haven't seen it since...

OP
StingRay

StingRay

Reaction score
To further add to the mystery...it seems like this problem has now gone away...

connection problems, both with home or car charger don't seem to be a problem anymore...put it on the charger last night after powering off and stayed charging (and OFF) all night....I was convinced this was a "hardware" issue and that I might have to return my Pro, but now it seems it may have been some sort of issue with the OS, an app, etc...

just for the record, after charging my Pro at night (powered off), if I power it on in the morning it will always boot into the CW recovery menu...I then have to select "reboot system now"...a little aggravating, but one of the costs of being rooted I guess..

tennvol

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I've been using the same charger for months then suddenly charging became erratic. The port in the phone is fine and the charger was locking firmly so I have no idea what happened.

My car charger was still working fine so I ruled out a bad port. Used a charger from my D1 and it worked fine. No idea why this happened.

I did notice that when I reboot the phone via battery pull it now starts up in wifi? ????

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
StingRay

StingRay

Reaction score
Using my D1 charger helped my situation as well....however, my car charger had been giving me connection problems, but now seems better as well...strange...

MMMakers

Reaction score
Hmm. I was hoping for more answers in this thread.

After a few months, my regular charger seems to not fit right. It still locks in physically, but only if I jostle the phone and tilt/bend the cord does it actually power the battery. I noticed that strangely connecting to my laptop with a USB always charges it, but I think the USB charging is weaker and therefore no substitute.

I for one am not sure this isn't a software issue. There are sensors and all I've heard of over-use of the USB to computer cord for charging can mess with the sensors. I'm going to see if the Verizon store can a new charger to work....

OP
StingRay

StingRay

Reaction score
Good luck...hope they can find something that will...

I'm kind of like you...the way this keeps changing it does seem like more of a software issue than simply a hardware connection issue...

while I'm not having the disconnecting while charging problem I was over the weekend, my Pro is still acting a little strange when trying to shut down and then charge....isn't working like it was anyway...

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Same happened to me. I had to go back to my odd blackberry's cord. I'd plug it in, there would be the lightning symbol in the battery, but I'd leave it in overnight and the battery would go down due to it not charging. This has gotten so bad for me that the plugging my phone into the usb for my computer doesn't allow me to access the sdcard. I attribute this to the cyanogenmod building however. I've probably plugged in and unplugged the cords 5,000 times since I first bought it :p

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

MMMakers

Reaction score
Interesting. One other thing I noticed is that the difficulty charging came at about the same time EVERY app. regularly started locking up and giving me the whole "Not responding" stuff.

I wonder if verizon/motorola installed software to trip up those of us who are impatient.

google123

Reaction score
This is when charging contacts and cradles come in handy. If only the Pro had such an option.......sigh. Its a good thing that I got the extended battery and use apps to send files to/from my pro over wifi that I don't use the usb port as much as some of yall. Got 1 day and 15 hours light/medium use out of my battery the other day. :D

Last edited:

rocket_girl

Reaction score
I had this problem very early on: the original plug developed some play in the phone port...would stop charging w/ even the smallest movement, as others describe here. Took OEM charging cord to Verizon corporate store..they were able to replicate the problem... and they swapped it out for the newer wall/USB convertible cord. I use this as wall charger only...problem-free since swap.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

suppur5

Reaction score
i've been having the same issue with my pro, so first i left it off overnight then it would charge again. but later it stopped charging so i took the battery out for bout 10 minutes and it started charging again.. something i recognized with the charging issue is when i charge my phone it gets warm and taking the battery out lets it cool down. I did get a new battery a few months back and am considering if its possible the battery went bad and is causing overheating. But for now i let my phone sit off for ten minutes and thn plug it in, seems to help keep it from overheating

suppur5

Reaction score
Well I got bored at school so I tried usin a flattened needle to clean out the charge port and now my phone charges like new! ^^