Project Fi App Gets a New Update with Data Usage Widget and Call Forwarding Toggle

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
project-fi-data-widget.jpg

Project Fi, for those who have tried the service, is easily one of the best values for many consumers. Not only does it offer excellent and reliable service in most areas of the country now, it also is very affordable. In fact, for moderate to light data users, it's easily the least expensive option in the entire U.S. market (assuming it's in your area).

Besides the excellent and affordable service, the Project Fi app happens to bring extra value as well with some slick and useful features. As of today, there is even more extra value to be found in the Project Fi app. Two new features are being added in an update to the app. The first is a widget which gives you a handy dial displaying your data usage. Not only does it display how much data used in your current billing cycle, it even shows you how many days you have left before it resets.

The second slick feature that Google added to the Project Fi app is a call forwarding toggle. This feature lets you easily activate or deactivate call forwarding for any number you have with just the touch of a button. You don't even need to reverify anything each time you reenable it. Nice!

Source: Reddit

Reactions: CJM

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I like it. Too bad my days with Fi are coming to an end.

8ffcd4d0ebdec098f9e850017937803d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Going to freeze My Data Manager app and give this widget a try.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I like it. Too bad my days with Fi are coming to an end.

Howcome? Which carrier are you going to?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Staying with Verizon with my UDP.

Would you be willing to give a short synopsis as to why? I am on UDP with the grandfathered Nationwide Calling Plan, and 1,400 shared minutes/month with Friends and Family (10 frequently called to/from numbers free). I have my wife and I on the UDP, my son is on the 3GB base data plan (couldn't get him on UDP or I'd be even less inclined to consider what other options I have).

I think it would be very helpful for myself as well as others to hear what reason(s), you considered going to FI, and then the subsequent reason(s), you're deciding to stay with Verizon.

I had a Nexus 6 new in the box set aside to test this plan, part of a 4 box purchase I made, 3 sold on eBay, but that 4th one burned up in my house fire. So now I would also need to buy a phone in order to give it a go.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Would you be willing to give a short synopsis as to why? I am on UDP with the grandfathered Nationwide Calling Plan, and 1,400 shared minutes/month with Friends and Family (10 frequently called to/from numbers free). I have my wife and I on the UDP, my son is on the 3GB base data plan (couldn't get him on UDP or I'd be even less inclined to consider what other options I have).

I think it would be very helpful for myself as well as others to hear what reason(s), you considered going to FI, and then the subsequent reason(s), you're deciding to stay with Verizon.

I had a Nexus 6 new in the box set aside to test this plan, part of a 4 box purchase I made, 3 sold on eBay, but that 4th one burned up in my house fire. So now I would also need to buy a phone in order to give it a go.
Cost and the UDP. I can use as much as I want/need without any penalties. My data plan wasn't affected by the $20 hike due to my employer, so I'm sitting at $100 for 900 minutes(5 friends and family numbers), unlimited text and unlimited data. My 6 month average is 7.5GB. So here is my thinking.

Project fi
- Base fee - $20 unlimited calls and texts
-Data Fee - $75 - 7.5GB of data, fi charges in 500mb increments.
Total -$97ish with taxes, fees, 911, etc

Verizon - 22% Work discount
-Base fee- $64, includes 900 minutes and unlimited texting
-Data fee - $29.99 for unlimited data
Total - $100ish with taxes, fees, 911, etc

Some months I don't use 7.5GB, like this month I've used 2.8GB with 6 days left on my billing, and others I use more so to me the cost savings aren't there for a switch. $5 to $10 a month savings?? Now, I've had zero issue with Project Fi and I love the concept. The main provider for me has been T-Mobile. I've only been on Sprint for half a day when I first received the phone. The Tmo coverage in Cleveland has been spot on and the speed tests blow Verizon out of the water. I'm not sure if that's due to Tmo putting more bandwidth to the towers or the fact not many are using Tmo, like when Verizon LTE first rolled out speeds were insane until people upgraded phones to LTE.

Summary - If I wasn't reliant of my phone providing me 7.5GB of data per month on average, I'd be willing to switch. Actually, if Verizon told me my UDP was gone, I'd switch to Project Fi instantly. Until then Vzw will win my business. If I do get hit with the data hike price change, I may switch. I'm still testing the service where I go most of the time and I'm traveling this week so it will help me learn dead-spots.

I purchased a 32GB 5X for $264 with the Project Fi deal. Can't beat that price. The phone is a little big laggy for me but if I unlocked the BL and rooted it I could get rid of some unneeded apps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I saw those TMO speeds, they're insane!

Thanks for the summary. I'll post mine later and try to give a comparison for the benefit of others.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Anyone else get this widget to work on a launcher other than Google launcher? It no worky for me on Apex

Tapped from a Nexus 6

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I saw those TMO speeds, they're insane!

Thanks for the summary. I'll post mine later and try to give a comparison for the benefit of others.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
T-Mobile also has unlimited everything for $95 a month
81d069d86b17157b5979844464d46346.jpg

Something to also consider.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Anyone else get this widget to work on a launcher other than Google launcher? It no worky for me on Apex

Tapped from a Nexus 6
Installed apex and it works for me.

a99dc2ca59d73ae9c401a3456a25869b.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This is with Nova.

0e76769ebf634d3cce5e69bcc30380e2.jpg

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
T-Mobile also has unlimited everything for $95 a month
81d069d86b17157b5979844464d46346.jpg

Something to also consider.
$105 with taxes and good to go ...I've used almost 8GB since April 19 ...I'm interested in testing over 20GB ...most months I won't go over it but I like to check ...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
$105 with taxes and good to go ...I've used almost 8GB since April 19 ...I'm interested in testing over 20GB ...most months I won't go over it but I like to check ...
Good for people who gave up their unlimited plans.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Good for people who gave up their unlimited plans.

Yes agreed if you are not on one now ...I like it now that Verizon has at least come in with the Nexus phones ...but I prefer GSM for trying different unlocked phones ... And of course every area differs with reception...