Random Reboots After JB 4.1.2 Update?

jliller

Reaction score
I have an unrooted Motorola Droid 4.

This afternoon I got the notice of an update (4.1.2) and since installing the update my phone seems to reboot at random. The only thing I have downloaded lately is the 4.1.2 update. Corrupt installation perhaps? What should I do?

jmonty42

Reaction score
I was having a similar problem with a replacement Droid 4 on JB. Mine would reboot but only when it was unplugged and the screen was off. My solution until they send me a replacement for this replacement is that I installed Battery Booster and set the screen timeout to never. Then when the battery dies after a couple hours I just plug it in. Does yours happen under similar circumstances or is it just random?

OP
J

jliller

Reaction score
My Droid 4 is also a refurb.

I couldn't figure out a pattern to the reboots. One time when I unplugged from the charger, but not the next time. Once or twice while in the middle of charging, but otherwise it charged fine. Sometimes it would reboot when I tried to start an app, sometimes when I was done. The most consistent problem was trying to start the Foursquare app would seem to always trigger a reboot; reinstalling the app didn't help. I turned the phone off for a few minutes then turned it back on, but still no improvement.

That was Sunday afternoon. Since then it seems to inexplicably be behaving just fine.

The only thing I think I changed was turning off one of the Smart Actions that would disable notifications if the screen was off. This seemed to be interfering with downloading updates (the download would get interrupted when the Smart Action kicked in). But if that was the problem with the rebooting I would think it would cause a reboot only when the phone tried to sleep rather than in the middle of doing other things. As of yesterday, the Foursquare app is also working again.

OP
J

jliller

Reaction score
This afternoon the random reboots returned! At first it seemed the phone was rebooting when I tried to start any app. Then it started rebooting if I just woke the screen up and didn't do anything or only changed screens (but didn't start anything). It was fine this morning and I haven't installed any updates or new apps for at least a few days.

I got home, I turned the phone off, popped the back off (needed the "key" from home), and removed the sim card. No obvious problems there so I put everything back together and turned it back on. So far no reboots.

EDIT:
Later in the day the reboots returned again a couple times then stopped again. This is maddening.

I have noticed two trends regarding the reboots:

1) Often a reboot is preceded by an attempt to sleep the screen via a quick press of the power button. However, instead of sleeping the screen, the long press menu (Power Off / Airplane / Silence-Vibrate-Sound) pops up. This doesn't always happen before a reboot, but when it does happen a reboot seems to follow very soon.

2) The phone seems to be slow to get a signal when it turns on, especially after one of these random reboots. Sometimes it is even slow to detect the SIM card; a couple times I have gotten a "no SIM card detected" message before it finally detects the card.

Perhaps this is all being caused by a faulty SIM card?

mattjenn

Reaction score
It doesn't cost anything if you go to corporate store they'll give you new sim for free. Its worth a shot I didn't have reboot issues but I had no sim error I got one and it fixed my issue

OP
J

jliller

Reaction score
I went to a Verizon store and they were stumped by my problems. A Reset didn't help at all. In fact, after the reset, the phone rebooted twice before I could finish the basic setup! The power button seems to also be intermittently not responding. Another refurb is supposed to be on its way...

jmonty42

Reaction score
I got a second replacement from Verizon and it finally worked. Hopefully it will work out for you and they will see that they need more quality control around the refurbs they send out.

loiselles

Reaction score
Droid 4 - Random Reboot - Brand New Device

I got a second replacement from Verizon and it finally worked. Hopefully it will work out for you and they will see that they need more quality control around the refurbs they send out.

I have a brand new Droid 4 and it's been doing random reboots. I'm looking for a solution and haven't found one yet. Please let me know if anyone has info. It looks like I may have a warranty issue but I hate having re-setup my phone if I don't have to...

Thanks,

Deb