Redraw problem : SOLVED!! Simple terminal command.

dpaine88

Reaction score
I found this to be magic for me, and have not had a redraw since doing this. I haven't seen it pop up on here yet and it's become apparent a lot of people on this board don't go to the CM Forums, so I figured I would share it.

THE BELOW IS 0% MY WORK. I AM SIMPLY COPYING AND PASTING A POST OFF THE OFFICIAL CM FORUMS.

Original thread is by Tomadoggy

*** THIS WORKS, VIRTUALLY ELIMINATES SCREEN REDRAWS ***

OK I did not believe this but have been using it for >3 days. The improvement is dramatic, I executed a control test of opening/using applications and noted which resulted in a homescreen redraw, then did the change noted below...seeing is believing. This is reversable also, do your own test my guess is that you will be very impressed. Try it on Angry Birds no redraw after application close! This may save me from buying a faster processer phone (still love my Droid1). No I cannot tell you what it does or why it works, I am not a coder, just a user and experimenter.

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using any memory intensive application you hed back to your Homescreen... you know the drill.....lag, lag, redraw, redraw, then finally you are able to function again.

#1 MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP

In your terminal application on your phone (if you have to ask what this is, Google it, download it from the market)

su (enter)
echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop (enter)
reboot (enter)

If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop, or if you did not have this file (like I did not) prior to the mod...remove it entirely

EDIT 10/21 Links fixed:

As far as I know/understand all Credit to SAMSONITE801
Samsonite801
Thread here:
Link to the thread where the hack exists

jerroedr

Reaction score
i think this is also in cm settings under performance

turdbogls

Reaction score
i know for a fact project elite V3 has this hack built in, and i am pretty sure SS4.9 does as well. i have been on PEv3 for just under a week and lag is ALMOST completely gone. i have had maybe 2 or 3 redraws. much better than the 2-3 redraws/hour i was having before.

it is a BIG improvement, but it is still something that plagues the D1 running Froyo. here is to hoping we see gingerbread on the D1 and getting rid of the lag once and for all like how it was on 2.1

jerroedr

Reaction score
OH and same dude said thatyou only need to put the code in once, even if you flash a diff rom... dont know if thats true either

Droids

Reaction score
Helped with my redraw issues, did not eliminate them 100%, but got rid of most of them. Funny thing is, I'm running mostly stock D1 (but rooted) FRG22D. I'm even using the stock launcher. You would think I wouldn't have any redraw issues, but I did.

OP
dpaine88

dpaine88

Reaction score
Hmm...the CM Settings one hasn't done anything for me since I've ever had CM.

This terminal command has been great, especially for leaving Angry Birds, which always gave me redraws.

wingdo

Reaction score
Hmm...the CM Settings one hasn't done anything for me since I've ever had CM.

This terminal command has been great, especially for leaving Angry Birds, which always gave me redraws.

Moral of the story is; never leave angry birds.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
This hack has to be redone every time you install a new rom if you wipe /data during the install.

And I also have a file in my collection that I put together so you can install this hack via your custom recovery system instead of having to enter the terminal commands. Here it is:

http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/ReDrawFix_update.zip

Install it with your favorite custom recovery system using the usual method for each respective system.

good luck

droidkevlar

Reaction score
I am on CM 6.1 RC5 and did not use this hack and not having any redraws with LP.