Resurrecting Droid purely as a wifi hotspot. Need ROM, kernel, and wifi tether app.

rednukleus

Reaction score
What I need: My Motorola Droid 1 with wifi tethering active, so that other devices may connect to the Droid.

Why: I have a raspberry pi with the Volumio media player ROM installed. Volumio supports iOS Airplay which allows an iOS device connected to the same wifi network as the Volumio to play its audio through the Volumio wirelessly. Android devices can use Airstream which mimics Airplay. I want to connect my modern Android phone and the Volumio to my Moto Droid's wifi network, and use this setup to wirelessly play my phone's audio through the raspberry pi. The raspberry pi is plugged in to my car's speakers.

Issues: CM 7.2.0 does not allow the good old "wifi tether for root users" app to actually function. It goes through the motions but no SSID is visible from other devices. I think I need a different kernel or a different rom & kernel.

I don't need any bells and whistles. I don't even need gapps. I don't care if the phone, camera, mobile data work at all. All I need is stability and functioning wifi tethering.

Please help me prove that my venerable Droid still DOES.

OP
rednukleus

rednukleus

Reaction score
Well the answer is that the Droid can't do what I'm after. It can create ad hoc connections but not an access point. So although I have multiple clients connected to my Droid, they cannot communicate with one another. The reason I thought wifi tethering was not functional is because my Samsung Galaxy S3 does not even see ad hoc networks. I can connect to the Droid from my ipad and from my raspberry pi but this gets me nowhere. I have a Bionic with a shattered screen that will have to do.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-d1-miui/113057-built-wifi-tether-miui.html#post1161606

Update: As soon as I got everything working using the Bionic as the AP, I broke the Bionic's screen completely when I applied a screen protector to the shattered glass. It no longer displays and the touch response including soft buttons are dead. So everything is working perfectly, so long as I never let the Bionic's battery die. Since this is for a car, I can only provide power while the engine is running.

They make cheap USB powered routers that are very small. I ordered one of those. Until then it will be ICU time for my paralyzed Bionic. I'll pocket a charger everywhere I go this weekend.