rezound on a different carrier?

vague

Reaction score
My Verizon contract is up in a month and I'm tired of big red. Has anyone tried and been able to flash and port to a different carrier? If so, how did then phone function in comparison? Thanks much.

acejavelin

Reaction score
The phone can be successfully used on most domestic GSM carriers (although without LTE/HSPA) but you will never be able to use it on other CDMA carriers (Sprint, etc.). It can also be used on many pre-paid carriers that use SIM cards (again, data will not be 4G). XDA has several threads on using the phone on Page Plus, Straight Talk, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.

shockracer

Reaction score
Net10 seems to be claiming you can take your phone to them and still be covered by the phone issuers network.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Net10 seems to be claiming you can take your phone to them and still be covered by the phone issuers network.
I have heard people say this... but I have yet to see someone be able to do it without having to go through a fair amount of headache settings things up. If you could just call Net10 and move your phone over without changing anything, people would be jumping off the big red boat like crazy!

OP
V

vague

Reaction score
Well I'm asking because this contract is up with verizon in march, and if I can keep the device some where and spend less than my $120 a month I'dbe happy. I'm looking at going to sprint or T-Mobile if it is not a decent option.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Sprint is probably not going to happen (they are a CDMA only carrier), but the phone will happily chug along on T-Mobile all day since it is a GSM network, you just won't get HSPA/LTE data. Check out the Rezound discussion are on XDA, there are several threads on using the phone on AT&T, T-Mobile, Straight Talk, etc...

rbw62

Reaction score
Anyone try "Straight Talk", Walmart sells for $45 month, it is a everthing plan. No contract. I believe it uses Vzw network. Just install sim and keep number or get new number.
My contract is up in 2 months. Looks pretty good, half price of Vzw!

TWC42

Reaction score
One thing you should keep in mind when comparing the cost of plans from different services, and especially a MVNO is that your phones are not subsidized. In today's technology, a two year old smartphone is an antique. The subsidy you get on a top of the line smartphone from Verizon and others is about $400 off the retail cost, and since you are eligible for a new phone every 20 months, that subsidy is effectively a credit of $20 per month. So look at that $45 rate from Straight Talk, consider your future cost in buying a new phone outright, the slower data speed, the possible lack of coverage in some areas. Take a close look at the data coverage on ST's coverage maps. If it still looks good for you, by all means, go for it.

rbw62

Reaction score
I did not expect a reply from a VZW REP. I was asking IF anyone has tried straight talk.
To answer your cost question: I always calculate different costs. For one you can elect to use your present phone, no need to worry about subsidies,like VZW fake subsidy which costs you more in a two year period, because of: 1, data costs, 2: the plan @ Wallyworld is half the cost of VZW plan. As you can see the money saved over a 2 year period is substantial, more than enough to offset the cost of a latest, greatest tech phone. Wally world sells them for about half of VZW price, sometimes on sale for about 25%.
So you need to do more homework.

M0
p
from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Cc:
Sent: 2013-01-23 06:28:28 GMT
Subject: Reply to thread 'rezound on a different carrier?'

Dear rbw62,

TWC42 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - rezound on a different carrier? - in the HTC Rezound General Discussions forum of Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...34488-rezound-different-carrier-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
One thing you should keep in mind when comparing the cost of plans from different services, and especially a MVNO is that your phones are not subsidized. In today's technology, a two year old smartphone is an antique. The subsidy you get on a top of the line smartphone from Verizon and others is about $400 off the retail cost, and since you are eligible for a new phone every 20 months, that subsidy is effectively a credit of $20 per month. So look at that $45 rate from Straight Talk, consider your future cost in buying a new phone outright, the slower data speed, the possible lack of coverage in some areas. Take a close look at the data coverage on ST's coverage maps. If it still looks good for you, by all means, go for it.

acejavelin

Reaction score
To get the Rezound to work on Straight Talk's CDMA service (Verizon) you need to be prepared for some heavy modding... no SIM will do that for you, and you still will not get LTE since they don't allow ST customers to access that service. To use the Rezound on ST's GSM service, a SIM, a Global Mode enabled ROM (the 4.3.605.2 RUU leak works or most of the third party ones too) and a few minor tweaks are all that is needed. Either way, you will need a new number and not be able to keep the old one.

Details here for modding the Rezound for Straight Talk CDMA: Rezound on Straight Talk using Verizon towers- no sim card.(talk,text,MMS,Internet) - xda-developers

Last edited:

TWC42

Reaction score
I did not expect a reply from a VZW REP. I was asking IF anyone has tried straight talk. ...
Pardon me for expressing an opinion contrary to yours. You can block posters you disagree with, why don't you go ahead and block me. I'll return the favor.

rbw62

Reaction score
The speed as tested is down about 8, up about 4_5. Not a great loss. You do not have to purchase a new phone, car, tv etc. Every time an upgrade hits the market. I have a desktop pc that us almost 6 years old, but the ram is maxed out, the Intel processor is a quad core running @ over 3. Video card that is killer, 3 tv hd. Why get a new pc? My phone is dual core 1.5 why buy another? The answers are if they no longer serve the purpose.

rbw62

Reaction score
To TWC 42, what's your problem, if you want me to block you, I will. No loss to me, as I do not know who you are anyway. Never met you. Now go away.