[Rumor] Google May Be Planning to Replace Nexus Products with Android Silver Lineup

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-lineup-play-store.png

We've heard several rumors in the past that Google might be considering killing off the Nexus line of smartphones and tablets, but today's intel is the first time where we have heard a solid reason why they would make this choice. It also includes a tease of what Google will use as a replacement for the brand. It looks like Google is simply working on fleshing out the Android brand even more rather than killing off their involvement with the mobile market.

According to the rumor, Google will replace the Nexus line with something they call Android Silver. Not only is it a way to build up the Android brand cache, it also will be a method for Google to improve their control over Android. An unknown source was quote as saying “manufacturers and wireless carriers will effectively be paid to produce and sell high-end devices that closely adhere to Google specifications.” On top of that, Google will be closely monitoring the number of non-Google apps which are pre-installed on devices, and they will also be insisting that each of them will have an uninstall option.

This is obviously meant to curtail excessive bloatware and excessive customization from OEMs who use Android. It was also shared that the Android Silver lineup will still offer the same timely update cycle that we currently see with Nexus devices. Apparently, Google's master plan with this Android Silver lineup is to basically start transforming the Nexus brand into a higher-end Google-controlled, premium Android lineup. This new lineup will not include any mid-range or budget-friendly devices, and Google will spend a substantial amount of money marketing the line.

What do you think of this plan if it turns out to be true? Could Google elevate Android by transforming their affordable Nexus lineup into a top-tier, premium offering?

Source: ValueWalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I think it's a great plan as carriers add too much bloat and drag their feet with updates.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Fingers crossed they brand themselves like this. This is an excellent idea and it can be the catalyst that sparks some very innovative devices. Great move and I really want to see this rumor come to fruition.

Will free up their naming conventions as well. Right now it's a mess.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think it's a great idea as well. I've never really considered Nexus devices to be "high end", so if they can gain a foothold in this area, it'll be yet another strong competitor for Apple to deal with. That, and the obvious Nexus goodness that goes along with the brand as a whole.

tap'n

B-Unit

Reaction score
While this 'Android Silver' may replace the Nexus brand, from what I am reading it seems more like an enhanced Play Store edition than anything else.

Icculus760

Reaction score
Sounds great if their Android Silver phones feature a removable battery and SD-card expansion (I know....I know....)

RemyL75

Reaction score
If this turns out to be true, I will jump right in line for their devices. the only thing that has ever really annoyed me about carrier-branded phones was the non-removable bloatware.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
“manufacturers and wireless carriers will effectively be paid to produce and sell high-end devices that closely adhere to Google specifications.” On top of that, Google will be closely monitoring the number of non-Google apps which are pre-installed on devices, and they will also be insisting that each of them will have an uninstall option.
Android Silver lineup will still offer the same timely update cycle that we currently see with Nexus devices

YES!!! About time... :)

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Let me guess - Verizon won't carry that line since it will essentially be a 'Nexus' type device. Verizon loves to control what goes on their devices and they love skins because it helps differentiate one phone from another. They aren't going to like being dictated to about whatever bloatware they add can be permanently deleted or not. I hope this is not the case. I like pure vanilla android and the freedom to do what I please with the device's content. I want to keep my unlimited data on Verizon, so the Moto X (closest thing to a Nexus-like device) will be my phone for awhile to come.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Let me guess - Verizon won't carry that line since it will essentially be a 'Nexus' type device. Verizon loves to control what goes on their devices and they love skins because it helps differentiate one phone from another. They aren't going to like being dictated to about whatever bloatware they add can be permanently deleted or not. I hope this is not the case. I like pure vanilla android and the freedom to do what I please with the device's content. I want to keep my unlimited data on Verizon, so the Moto X (closest thing to a Nexus-like device) will be my phone for awhile to come.

I think it's more a case of Verizon won't carry that line because it won't be offered to them and will in all probability be GSM only.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
I believe that on devices. They should keep their tablet division until Motorola decide to make tablet. I really wish they do.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The nexus being high end on their smartphone since forever.

Now their tablet is another story . Apple as much as everyone hate them is better.

And no nexus tablet have change my mind not nexus 7 2012 or 2013 both 32 GB I had. If it wasn't for my iPad mini being stolen I would be on my mini now.

I think it's a great idea as well. I've never really considered Nexus devices to be "high end", so if they can gain a foothold in this area, it'll be yet another strong competitor for Apple to deal with. That, and the obvious Nexus goodness that goes along with the brand as a whole.

tap'n

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not happening either you get galaxy line for SD card or htc one m8 which have SD card slot in 2014 edition.

Sounds great if their Android Silver phones feature a removable battery and SD-card expansion (I know....I know....)